X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buccos eye Tracy

Littlefield calls Tracy a 'strong candidate'
    Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Former Dodgers manager Jim Tracy appears to be the front-runner for the Pittsburgh Pirates' job that opened last month when Lloyd McClendon was fired during his fifth consecutive losing season.

Tracy and Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield have ties dating to their days together in the Montreal Expos' organization, when Tracy managed at Double-A Harrisburg -- his 1993 team had a 94-44 record -- and Triple-A Ottawa, and Littlefield was a scouting supervisor and the director of player development.

Littlefield said Tuesday he hasn't spoken to Tracy, but would do so within a day.

"We'll be in contact soon," Littlefield said. "He's a strong candidate. He's experienced -- he's managed on the minor league and big league level."

Tracy went 427-383 in five seasons with the Dodgers. Last month, Pirates managing general partner Kevin McClatchy said he wanted a manager who, unlike McClendon, had previous big league managing experience.

"I do respect big league experience ... but I want a manager who will help us win more games," said Littlefield, who has been given sole responsibility for the hiring.

The Dodgers won 93 games and the NL West title in 2004, but Tracy was unhappy after general manager Paul DePodesta largely dismantled that club by trading catcher Paul Lo Duca during the season and shedding Adrian Beltre, Alex Cora, Shawn Green and Steve Finley after the season.

Tracy said in a conference call Monday night he has not looked into any other jobs.

"I don't have any idea as to the Pittsburgh Pirates and what their thinking is," Tracy said. "I have no idea about that situation or what direction any club is taking."

Tracy has some ties to the Pittsburgh area -- he played college baseball at longtime Division III power Marietta College, about 120 miles from Pittsburgh.

Littlefield hinted Tuesday that the Pirates need to move quickly, with other teams already hiring new managers and the Marlins and Devil Rays also on the market. Littlefield called former Pirates manager Jim Leyland on Monday and tried to set up an interview, but Leyland was already on his way to Detroit to interview there.

Littlefield called Leyland back on Tuesday, but Leyland had already accepted the Tigers' job. Leyland will be reunited with general manager Dave Dombrowski, who was Florida's GM when Leyland managed the Marlins to the 1997 World Series title.

If the Pirates had been interested in bringing Leyland back for a second time -- and Leyland apparently sensed they were not-- they wouldn't have had to push very hard to get him. Leyland, who managed the Pirates from 1986 to 1996, made it known a year ago that he wanted to manage again, but only close to his Pittsburgh home. But while he attended most Pirates home games this season as a Cardinals scout, the Pirates never contacted him until Monday.

The Pirates apparently were interested in manager Ken Macha if he left the Athletics, but Macha was offered a three-year contract extension on Monday and is expected to stay in Oakland.

Macha sought the Pirates' job in 2000 when McClendon was hired and has long wanted to return to his hometown to manage, but the A's are a contender while the Pirates are a work in progress following 13 consecutive losing seasons.

One other Pirates candidate could be former Blue Jays manager Carlos Tosca, a manager in Florida's farm system when Littlefield was the Marlins' assistant general manager. Tosca was fired in August 2004 with the Blue Jays in last place in the AL East with a 47-64 record, but had a 191-191 record over three seasons. He was the Arizona Diamondbacks' bench coach under manager Buck Showalter.

Littlefield said he hasn't talked with Tosca, but he did interview Braves coach Fredi Gonzalez in Atlanta on Monday. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Why?
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Oct 5 2005, 11:14 AM) Quoted post

Why?
      [/b][/quote]

It's all about who you know....

Exhibit A: Jim Leyland in Detroit. GM Dave Dombrowski hired Leyland in Florida, although Leyland first started with Detroit in 1963.

I thought Tracy would land in Cincinatti, where he is a native, but the Reds are the Reds.

Comment

Hell. It won't be any fun to play the Pirates anymore with McClenden gone.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 5 2005, 04:52 PM) Quoted post

Hell. It won't be any fun to play the Pirates anymore with McClenden gone.
          [/b][/quote]

In the World Series....New Tigers MGR., Jim Leyland is expected to hire FMR Pirates managers Lloyd McClendon & Gene Lamont.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/n...t=.jsp&c_id=det

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 5 2005, 08:20 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            Isn't that the Rams' coaches bus?
            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Oct 5 2005, 07:23 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 5 2005, 08:20 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              Isn't that the Rams' coaches bus?
              [/b][/quote]

I'm calling it the special teams bus, but after last weeks turd of a ballgame, I think it's just the team bus.

If the Rams pass defense was homeland security, we'd all be in deep shit.

Comment

Working...
              X