Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nipsey Russell Dies

Actor Nipsey Russell Dies

(New York-WABC, October 3, 2005) - Actor Nipsey Russell, known as "the poet laureate of television," passed away yesterday afternoon at Lenox Hill Hospital.
    Eyewitness News has learned Russell died of cancer, confirmed his longtime manager, Joseph Rapp. He was in his early 80s.

Rapp said Russell was born in 1923, although some reports had him born in 1924. The manager said his age was never clear because Russell did not retain a birth certificate.

Russell achieved his first major role as Officer Anderson in "Car 54, Where Are You?"

He appeared on a string of game shows and variety shows, such as the "Dean Martin Roasts," "Laugh-In," "Jackie Gleason Show," among many others.

Russell delighted audiences with short poems, earning him the nickname "the poet laureate of television." He appeared on "The Tonight Show" and many other very popular talk shows of the day.

While he did not appear in many film roles, he will be remembered for his role of the Tin Man in the 1978 "The Wiz." The movie was a box office failure, but since the movie has been considered a cult classic.

But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

I didn't even know he was sick.

It seemed like he was on The $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid every other week.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
      Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

RIP

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Kinda sad, he was cool in his own 70's geeky way

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
            Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
            Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
            There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
            "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
            "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Along with Richard Dawson on Match Game PM, perhaps the best guest game show player around.

Comment

QUOTE(payitandbringit @ Oct 3 2005, 09:52 PM) Quoted post

Along with Richard Dawson on Match Game PM, perhaps the best guest game show player around.
                [/b][/quote]

Yep.
                RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

i didn't even realize he was still alive. thought everyone from car 54 was dead.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 3 2005, 09:53 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Yep.
                    [/b][/quote]

Yes.

RIP [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/story....c6-2c3b5753ca8d

Comment

He was a funny man who always managed to elicit a chuckle from me.

I'll tip one for the Nip.
                      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

The intersection of Sports and Television gave me one of my biggest chuckles ever.

When reading an article about Bo Jackson in sports ill some years ago - the author was trying to explain how Bo got his nick name. He stated that Jackson got the nickname because people called Hogs - Boar. But in that particular section of the south - most people dropped the ar and that's how you got Bo.

To illustrate he told the story of a Nipsy Russell password episode. Nipsy and his partner elected to play and had first crack at the word "deer". Nipsy's partner, I believe a white male, looked directly at Nipsy and stated quite clearly "doe".

Nipsy thought for a moment - then answered without hesitation - knob. They had to stop the show because everyone laughed for ten minutes.

To this day - that to me is just laugh out funny. I don't consider it racist and I really don't care if others do.
                        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Absolutely, although you have to throw Charles Nelson Reilly in there as well.

Comment

QUOTE(payitandbringit @ Oct 3 2005, 08:52 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Dude..Charles Nelson Reilly heard that and he's pissed.

Nipsey was the man, though.

Comment

I can imagine Kool without the Gang
                              Or Gladys Knight missing one of her Pips
                              But it's truly sad to think of
                              TV game shows without the Nips....
                              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X