Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we support troops while not supporting war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we support troops while not supporting war?

I wrote a letter to my local rag in response to yet another person using the well-worn argument that we cant support our troops without supporting the war.

here is the letter I am responding to, and below that is my response. Tell me what you think...

Protesters aren't helping troops

I attended the pro-American rally Sept. 17 on Sunshine Street as a counter rally to the Peace Networks of the Ozarks' anti-war rally.
    While there, I talked with some of the anti-war people. After reading their signs and visiting with them, I just don't understand how they can claim that they are supporting the troops. I have served my country for over eight years as active duty Army, and now as a member of the Missouri National Guard. I deployed with both.

While I can't speak for everyone in the military, everyone that I have spoken with feels nothing but disdain for these people. I realize that while some of the anti-war protesters have good intentions, they are doing more harm to the troops than good.

I know the phrase "demoralizing the troops" gets thrown around a lot, but it is true. We hate seeing people protesting something that we have volunteered to do. By protesting the war, all they are doing is encouraging our enemy, prolonging the war and costing us more lives.

Every time the enemy sees that Americans are trying to bring the troops home before our job is done, they see a little bit of hope for their cause, and step up their attacks.

You don't support a sports team by protesting the sport that they play, and you don't support the troops by protesting everything that they are doing.

Brandon Peterson, Fair Grove[/b][/quote]

my reply:

It is pretty ironic to me that Brandon Peterson (Sunday, Oct 2nd) would criticize those that protest the Iraq war. Instead of supporting our First Amendment right to free speech, he seems to espouse a fascist style of government in which dissent should be stifled. The irony is that he holds this position while he supports a war in which our troops have fought to liberate the Iraqis from Saddam’s oppressive and fascist style of government and to give them the right to free speech.

If Peterson really wishes to support our troops, perhaps he should push for accountability from a president who took the focus off of the person responsible for 911, and switched the focus to a person and country that had absolutely nothing to do with 911 in which we invaded on the false and unproven premise that there were stockpiles of WMDs.

By appearing to support a president who is willing to send thousands of our troops to a nation under false pretenses, without the proper equipment, and without a sound, competent plan for victory, all of which has combined to make the mission more dangerous than it needs to be, I contend that it is Mr. Peterson and those like him that really don’t support our troops.
    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Dude, they're going to burn your house down if you send that in..
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Garvin,

My newspaper (Springfield News-Leader) has published far more inciteful letters than that from both the left and the right.
      “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

I don't know why you are so insistent that the President hold someone responsible for 911. That number has saved countless people in emergencies.

Moon

Comment

Yes.
          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

This is a debate that seems to accompany all recent wars. I'll give a take:

Entering this war was a political, not a military, decision.

The military did an incredibly successful job in executing the war, and continues to do an amazing job in it's unfortunate aftermath and awful circumstances.

Criticism of the war is criticism of the politics of the war: the initial decision and the catastrophic political and intelligence decisions that have been made since the initial victory are the real debate now.

Even the lapses in the war's conduct, as in Abu Ghraib, are more a result of the administration and the civilian leadership of the Pentagon.

It is altogether right, consistent and a duty to hold the political leadership accountable for this war.

It is also right to recognize the extraordinary job the the military rank and file have done. Whatever failure comes of this adventure will be a political, not a military, failure.

The two should not be confused.

Comment

Damn good job
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I'm all about the safety of our troops and want them to come home
                ASAP.

Having said that. I think this administration has been the biggest
                failure in my 49 years of existence on planet earth. Thank God
                for the two term rule.

Comment

Congratulations, Razzy!

You win a blowjob from madyaks.

Enjoy.
                  The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Razzy:

I think your response is well written. Has it been published yet? If so, when?

As for the content of your response, I didn't interpret Brandon's letter to be promoting a facist style government. He seemed to be speaking from personal experiences. And given your reference to the First Amendment, is it not in a First Amendment tradition to allow him to speak out against the protesters?

Just my thoughts.

Thanks
                    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Oct 3 2005, 09:12 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

QUOTE(Razzy @ Oct 3 2005, 09:22 PM) Quoted post

Garvin,

My newspaper (Springfield News-Leader) has published far more inciteful letters than that from both the left and the right.
                      [/b][/quote]

I'm talking about the Ozark Rambo Baptists that live in the woods.

They'll burn your house down.
                      But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Oct 4 2005, 05:43 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Garvin,

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Do they read that liberal rag the Springfield News-Leader?
                        Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Oct 4 2005, 08:09 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Oct 4 2005, 05:43 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Garvin,

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Do they read that liberal rag the Springfield News-Leader?
                          [/b][/quote]

Gotta be able to read first.

Comment

Comment

LOL, if I go out of town far enough, I can find some people that look like that.

FAR,

I just sent it in yesterday. If they like it, they will call me and verify that I wrote it, and then most of the time it gets published.

Comment

Working...
                              X