Time for another...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for another...

First off my many thanks to those that gave me some great recommendations several months ago when we filled one of these threads with suggestions. I can't relate all the books I read during this time but will highlight a few that stand out for one reason or another. My reading preferences include sports, biographical, historical, political, business and some fiction. Haven't really read much sci-fi since the college days.

In Sports I thoroughly enjoyed "Boys of Summer" and "Pure Baseball" (Keith Hernandez). I haven't picked up "Three Nights in August" yet but have had several tell me that it's similar to Keith’s book.

Just started reading "Adams", by McCullough, after enjoying "1776". In fact, that book encouraged me to read Bobricks, "Angel in the Whirlwind", which I highly recommend for those that would like a general and enjoyable read on the events leading up to and including the revolution. I was also looking for something on the Trojan War after watching the cable televised movie "Troy" and picked up "The Iliad" which I hadn't read since high school. I had forgotten how badly Homer translates into this century. Any recommends on this subject?

I highly recommend the following books:

"The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell.
    "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. (This one really surprised me. Was unable to put it down once I started).
    "Thank you for Smoking" by Christopher Buckley.

I was also amused by Vonnegut’s "Welcome to the Monkey House" though I don't normally care for short works and "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. Was a bit disappointed with "I'm a Stranger Here myself" by Bill Bryson since I usually like his humor, especially "Lost Continent".

A reminder that those finding the Civil War interesting should definitely pick up "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. They can skip his sons book though, "Gods and Generals".

Once I finish the Adams book I'm going to read Hunter S Thompson’s, "Hey Rube". Seems like the right thing to do since he decided to officially retire this past year.

In any case, couldn't mention all the books that many of you recommended but thanks again to all and I would welcome any new suggestions.
    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Just finished John Adams, also after first reading 1776. Enjoyed both a good deal.

Just ordered "Why do Men Have Nipples?" I'll let you know.

Moon

Comment

Freakanomics

steven levitt
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

My Utmost for His Highest.

And I'm in Acts.
        Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
        "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Not sure if this was mentioned in the original thread, but I have been reading An Imperfect God: George Washington, His Slaves, and the Creation of America

Amazing book, though a slow read. A very enlightening look at how Washington's view on slavery changed during his life, and how he was powerless (for the most part) to change the direction of the nation. Here's the link to the description on Amazon.

An Imperfect God

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Hyperspace : A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimens ion (Paperback)

Almost through, excellent.
            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I have to get to the McCullough books. They're on the list. Devil in the White City was entertaining.

I'm reading Crime and Punishment now, finally. It is long.

Comment

"Pure Baseball" (Keith Hernandez). I haven't picked up "Three Nights in August" yet but have had several tell me that it's similar to Keith’s book. [/b][/quote]

Similar, but not as good.

Comment

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski...absolute mind fuck.
                  Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
                  Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
                  Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
                  "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

Sky Mall

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Oct 3 2005, 11:02 AM) Quoted post

Hyperspace : A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimens ion (Paperback)

[/b][/quote]

Is this book easier to understand than Stephen Hawkings?
                      Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

QUOTE(hkyfan @ Oct 3 2005, 09:15 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Oct 3 2005, 11:02 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Is this book easier to understand than Stephen Hawkings?
                        [/b][/quote]

Yes, quite a bit. Still a bit of doubling back, and reference for me. An amazing recap of our progress towards the theory of everything and a very visual effort at describing the physical reality of higher dimensions and hyperspace.
                        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Started going back through John D. McDonald's Travis McGee books for some reason. Bored, I guess.
                          Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Just finished An American Psycho and Ellison's [u]The Invisible Man[/i]. Started The Postman Always Rings Twice last night.
                            On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

John Keegan's The History of Warfare - good, but a slow read.

Clive & Dirk Cussler's Black Wind - it's alright, basically a Pitt re-boot, except w/ his kids as the main characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X