Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams-Giants Post Mortem

The Good

-Ugh, this is a hard week to write "good" down. Ummm, way to go MacDonald and Looker.

-Chris Johnson didn't look horrible on every kickoff. Imagine what he would do if we blocked those guys running down the field trying to kill him.

-Kudos to the offensive line for giving up hardly any sacks. I suspect a lot of it had to do with the Giants plan to basically rush their linemen only for most of the game, but at least we didn't give up anything stupid on the line. I'll take that every week if I can get it.

-Bulger looked pretty good up until the fourth quarter when his arm turned to spaghetti and he stopped making reasonable decisions. The interceptions were bad, but any time you throw the ball 60 times at a defense with basically seven or eight people in coverage, its going to happen to even Joe Montana. Still, I'm reaching here and I know it.

-ST didn't give up any touchdowns. (Hey, I said it was a tough week.)

-I thought we did a nice job on Shockey which was shocking (see what I did there?) considering how often TEs torch us. Too bad that it meant we got torched by Burress instead.

The Bad

-The DL didn't look nearly as good as it had, but they still played OK. A little better gap discipline and we could've held Barber under a 100 yards. As it is, he didn't get there until the middle of the fourth quarter and the linemen must have been terribly exhausted. However, we still don't really get enough pressure on the QB from these guys. Considering how infrequently we blitz (or at least it seems infrequent to me), we need to get more pressure from the front four.

-Run blocking. Mediocre early and then not a part of the game plan. But surely a team that gave up 6,000 yards to Ladanian Tomlinson didn't improve that much from week-to-week.

-Running backs. Again, its hard to know how it would've turned out if we hadn't spotted the Giants a 3 touchdown lead, but Jackson didn't look good in his touches, he botched that stupid pitch play, and Marshall fumbled another one. Uhhh, they did well in pass support though.

-Penalties. We still had too many stupid penalties, but they didn't hurt us as much as often. We have got to stop putting ourselves in 3 and 15 situations so much. Martz needs to start looking for 3 to 5 yard plays once in a while on the first two downs because its otherwise too easy to overblitz and kill the QB or lay back in a zone.

The Ugly

-Our pass defense was absolutely, stunningly atrocious. Burress made a lot of very, very good plays yesterday. But we had WRs running free all over the field. Burwell says its because of bad plays by the safeties. It seems to me that the Rams are just poor at zone defense because we see this kind of thing alot. It was just that yesterday we played a halfway decent team. If we play like this against the Colts, they'll do a whole lot more than score 40 points.

-Team preparation. Whomever was the color commentaro yesterday basically pointed that Martz needs to see what the other team is doing before he can get the offense going. What's alarming is that he made it sound intentional. I have no idea if that's the case -- Martz certainly does spend plenty of time working with the team -- but for at least three seasons we've been very slow starters and then slow to make adjustments after halftime. This lays on the feet of the coaches. The NFL is not like college basketball -- you have to adjust to what your opponent is trying to accomplish and you can't just "run your stuff" and dictate what the game will look like. I will never expect Martz to buy into this and its why we'll start getting thumped more frequently as the talent level on the roster drops.

-Play calling. Yes, we needed to throw a lot yesterday but we were so out of whack its not even funny. 6-1? I doubt you see that kind of a run-pass ratio in 90-percent of the blowouts in the NFL. Once the Giants started sitting back in that zone, we need to run some draws to keep them honest. The one time we did, Faulk got like 12 yards after fumbling the freaking football. Of course that pitch reverse was a complete head scratcher. Why on earth would you do that? You have the momentum, you're threatening to score, and they haven't shown they can stop you since the end of the first quarter. What play to call? Hmmm, I know...SOMETHING RISKY AND UNNECESSARY!!!!!! There is a foot-sized hole in my t.v. from that play. Fourteen point swing, game over.

-Turnovers. When will the coach and the team get it? If you turn the ball over five times a game, you will lose. We are no longer talented enough to get away with this crap. Sadly, its too late to do anything about it. It will take at least three years for the next coach to eradicate this kind of crap unless he completely changes over the offensive roster.

-Linebacking play. Did these guys do anything decently yesterday? If Barber had a hole, it seems like he needed to be tackled by the safety. Shades of yesteryear. *sigh*

All in all, a pathetic effort by everyone in the Rams organizatio save for the receivers, the potentially puzzled QB and our defensive line.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

I hope you had your nitroglycerin tablets handy during the game.

I, on the other hand, was watching the final regular season Cardinals game at Busch in persona. And smirking in a not so nice way every time the Rams-Giants game was posted on the scoreboard.

Oh, and I seriously doubt that you are any thinner.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 3 2005, 07:06 AM) Quoted post

I, on the other hand, was watching the final regular season Cardinals game at Busch in persona. And smirking in a not so nice way every time the Rams-Giants game was posted on the scoreboard.

Moon
      [/b][/quote]

I doubt it too, but I feel thinner.
      On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 3 2005, 07:06 AM) Quoted post

Moon
        [/b][/quote]

I doubt it too, but I feel thinner.

Comment

Post Mortem is just about right -

Don't give up on this team - they have a way of looking horrible one week and playing good the next. They are an extremely mediocre team that is lucky to be in the worst division in the NFL - don't be surprised for a repeat of last years sneak in the playoff's - win a game - then out.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Oh, I'll watch week after week for the torture.

Comment

too ugly of a game to even comment on
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
              X