TLR's fantastic season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLR's fantastic season

How TLR managed to coax 100 wins out of a club patched together with ace bandages, Triple A callups, and no name replacements, I'll never know.

No hyperbole - this is easily his best coaching job since arriving in Stl, and arguably the finest of his entire illustrious career.

I'm not certain how many man-games were lost this season to injury to key veteran personnel, but somehow TLR pieced, puzzled, and provided confidence to a group that oftentimes resembled a Sunday beer league, and not one the most feared offenses in the game.

And still the only thing the pundits can manage to entertain is their undying affection for Bobby Cox, and his incredible managerial job of incorporating rookies in the face of Atlanta's injuries.

Am I missing something here?

Sure, Cox conducted yet another fantastic season (Atlanta's 14th straight division win), but the Braves finished a mere 2 games ahead of Philadelphis, 7 ahead of Florida and New York, and 9 in front of Washington. And before their resurgence this year, the NL East, save Florida, wasn't exactly something to fear.

By comparison, St. Louis, led by TLR, finished the season 11 games ahead of its closest competition.

A scant few of the "experts" contend TLR should not be penalized for possessing the best team in the NL.

Why? Well, for starters he in brought a presumably inferior SS to replace the departed GG and former All-Star Renteria; plopped a journeyman player in at 2B; replaced a reigning GG catcher with a second year backstop; lost another reigning GGer and replaced him with a utility man at 3B; suffered key, sustained injuries to Sanders, Walker, Rolen, and short-time injuries to Grudzielanek, Molina and Edmonds (including a sub par offensive season from the CFer.)

TLR certainly has his critics. He also employs managerial tactics that at times leaving us all scratching our heads. But after being overlooked for the Manager of the Year Award last year after leading St. Louis to the best record in the ML, he does it again this year, leading the Cardinals to another 100 win season, best in the ML, and, amazingly, only 5 games off of last year's pace despite the obstacles this team has had to endure.

TLR doesn't deserve to be "overlooked" a second consecutive year. He deserves to be awarded.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

I like him not only for his success, but for the ulcers he gives his detractors.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Well said, groove.
      Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

++

Nice, slow.
        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

He's finally earned my respect with his looser philosiphy, and 2 straight 100 win seasons, a feat not accomplished since the 1940's, is validation.

I think he's finally won over many begrudging Cardinal fans. Even Whitey.

Goddammit, I just want to see a winner! #10 for #10 in year #10?

At least if we lost the WS, I'd rather see in in 7, with the winning pitcher tossing a Jack Morris like performance.

Only then, could I live with another WS loss after last year.

Comment

I'm on the bandwagon. This was even more impressive than keeping the team together after Kile died. I'm going to blame Tino for that aberration that was 2003.
            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Great job by LaRussa, no doubt about it.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 2 2005, 07:22 PM) Quoted post

I'm on the bandwagon. This was even more impressive than keeping the team together after Kile died. I'm going to blame Tino for that aberration that was 2003.
                [/b][/quote]

Tino actually helped the franchise quite a bit.
                And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Congrats, Tony!

Comment

He'll win me over.....when he wins a championship.

Comment

Some of his decisions still irritate me to no end, but it's hard to ignore the sum of all parts. This team never lost its intensity, concentration, and drive all year long, and that's directly attributable to the leadership from the dugout. I firmly believe that no other team can say the same thing.

How he coaxed 100 wins with the adversity he faced this year is unbelievable. I just hope we can be the best team again in baseball again for the next three and a half weeks.

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Oct 2 2005, 06:29 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 2 2005, 07:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Tino actually helped the franchise quite a bit.
                        [/b][/quote]

In sort of a Mike Tyson way?....I always figured we owed Tyson, since I believe he was involved in the trade that got us Sutter.
                        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                        --Albert Einstein

Comment

We'll win the world series this year.

Comment

QUOTE(slow groove @ Oct 2 2005, 05:51 PM) Quoted post

How TLR managed to coax 100 wins out of a club patched together with ace bandages, Triple A callups, and no name replacements, I'll never know.

No hyperbole - this is easily his best coaching job since arriving in Stl, and arguably the finest of his entire illustrious career.

I'm not certain how many man-games were lost this season to injury to key veteran personnel, but somehow TLR pieced, puzzled, and provided confidence to a group that oftentimes resembled a Sunday beer league, and not one the most feared offenses in the game.

And still the only thing the pundits can manage to entertain is their undying affection for Bobby Cox, and his incredible managerial job of incorporating rookies in the face of Atlanta's injuries.

Am I missing something here?

Sure, Cox conducted yet another fantastic season (Atlanta's 14th straight division win), but the Braves finished a mere 2 games ahead of Philadelphis, 7 ahead of Florida and New York, and 9 in front of Washington. And before their resurgence this year, the NL East, save Florida, wasn't exactly something to fear.

By comparison, St. Louis, led by TLR, finished the season 11 games ahead of its closest competition.

A scant few of the "experts" contend TLR should not be penalized for possessing the best team in the NL.

Why? Well, for starters he in brought a presumably inferior SS to replace the departed GG and former All-Star Renteria; plopped a journeyman player in at 2B; replaced a reigning GG catcher with a second year backstop; lost another reigning GGer and replaced him with a utility man at 3B; suffered key, sustained injuries to Sanders, Walker, Rolen, and short-time injuries to Grudzielanek, Molina and Edmonds (including a sub par offensive season from the CFer.)

TLR certainly has his critics. He also employs managerial tactics that at times leaving us all scratching our heads. But after being overlooked for the Manager of the Year Award last year after leading St. Louis to the best record in the ML, he does it again this year, leading the Cardinals to another 100 win season, best in the ML, and, amazingly, only 5 games off of last year's pace despite the obstacles this team has had to endure.

TLR doesn't deserve to be "overlooked" a second consecutive year. He deserves to be awarded.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            ++

Well said SG. I agree completely.
                            --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                            --Suck it cubbies.
                            --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 2 2005, 07:45 PM) Quoted post

We'll win the world series this year.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              That's what I said in my preseason thread.

Welcome aboard.
                              "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X