Jimmy Rollins 35-game hit streak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Rollins 35-game hit streak

Only tied for the 9th-longest streak ever.

It will be interesting if Rollins gets a hit tomorrow and carries a 36-game streak into the 2006 season.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

I think it would be bigger news if it wasn't about to be split between 2 seasons...

Good for him though, he has gone from being a good player, to being a great one.
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

It's funny, b/c I remember Luis Castillo getting a shitload of attention when he reeled off his streak. This one appears to be getting lost amongst the pennant races.

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 1 2005, 09:49 PM) Quoted post

I think it would be bigger news if it wasn't about to be split between 2 seasons...

Good for him though, he has gone from being a good player, to being a great one.
        [/b][/quote]

that's exactly why no one's talking about it. is there a way to find out what the longest streak is to start a baseball season? cuz rollins is gonna have to start the year off with a bang to beat dimaggio's record. he's going to lose all his momentum in the offseason.
        Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

I may be totally wrong about this, but I'm almost sure that Rollins' streak will end at 36 when the season ends, and he will start back at zero when next season starts.
          RIP Dave

Comment

I don't know if there's an actual rule about a streak ending after a season is over, but even if he starts up hot next April, for some reason, I don't think the media will treat it the same.

Comment

QUOTE(The Skeptic @ Oct 1 2005, 11:53 PM) Quoted post

I don't know if there's an actual rule about a streak ending after a season is over, but even if he starts up hot next April, for some reason, I don't think the media will treat it the same.
              [/b][/quote]

i don't see why this is such a big deal (the streak carrying over). basically, if you don't have a streak started before (roughly) aug. 10, you might as well forget about it, if you go by those who think the streak shouldn't carry over.

it'll be a moot point anyway......no way he starts the season with a 20 game hit streak.

just for arguments sake.......say the phillies win a one game playoff for the wild card spot,get in the playoffs......and each series goes the max amount of games. it would be 20 games. and rollins hits safely in each one. that would put him at 56. if people don't want the streak to carry over, would this be allowed? obviously, this has a snowball's chance of happening, but so does him starting next year with a 20 game hit streak.
              Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

QUOTE(Brummerball @ Oct 1 2005, 11:37 PM) Quoted post

I may be totally wrong about this, but I'm almost sure that Rollins' streak will end at 36 when the season ends, and he will start back at zero when next season starts.
                [/b][/quote]
                Nope, Jimmy Rollins streak will carry into next season if he gets another hit tomorrow.
                In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

QUOTE(Brosnan2715 @ Oct 2 2005, 12:01 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  Nope, Jimmy Rollins streak will carry into next season if he gets another hit tomorrow.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  ++

and playoff games (should Philly make the post season) do not count
                  Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                  Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                  There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                  "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                  "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

QUOTE(Brosnan2715 @ Oct 1 2005, 10:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    [/b][/quote]

That is exactly right. If Rollins gets a hit tomorrow, he will have an active, current 36-game hit streak going into 2006, and if he were by chance to get base hits in the first 21 games of the 2006 season, he would break Joe DiMaggio's streak.

Comment

They explained this on the tube.

He would still be eligible for the all time hit streak record if he carried it over to the next season. Joe D would still hold the single season record though.

Comment

If he broke the streak next season, it would be a fraud.

Unlikely, though. He won't make it to 40.

Comment

Glove,

I don't think he'll break the record, either, but how is it a fraud?
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I had been thinking the same thing.

I think the pennant races are keeping it from being more of a news item.

He just keeps getting better.

If the Phils can get some better starters in the off season they could be pre-season favorites next year.
                            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(bigJOE @ Oct 2 2005, 12:25 AM) Quoted post

is there a way to find out what the longest streak is to start a baseball season?[/b][/quote]

Wee Willie Keeler had 44 in a row to start the season in the 1890s. The "modern" record is George Sisler with 34 in 1925.

Comment

Working...
                              X