Burt Bacharach bashes Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burt Bacharach bashes Bush

You know things are bad when this dude's piling on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Dre, Elvis Costello join Bacharach protest album
    30 Sep 2005
    The songwriting legend to release a new album, "At This Time", Nov. 1.

Legendary songwriter Burt Bacharach has "things he needs to say"; this time around though it seems love wont do, with a salvo aimed directly at the Bush administration with his new protest album "At This Time".

Set for release through Columbia Records on November 1, the new set features a host of major guest stars, as well as a 25-piece backing orchestra. It's also the first time Bacharach has written lyrics to his music.

"People ask why a man who has been known for writing love songs all of his life is suddenly rocking the boat," Bacharach says. "I had to do it. This is very personal to me, and this is the most passionate album I have ever made.

Joining the Grammy winning artist is Dr. Dre, with whom Bacharach began working with several years ago. The hip-hop producer drops beats on three of the album's tracks. Costello performs "Who Are These People," describes as one of the album's most adventurous tracks; "Who are these people that keep telling us lies?/And how did these people get control of our lives?/And who'll stop the violence 'cause it's out of control/Make 'em stop," Costello sings. Meanwhile, Rufus Wainwright pops up to add vocals on "Go Ask Shakespeare," which includes the lyrics, "I've been hoping for a better day/It's a long time coming but I wait anyway/Life's a miracle or a foolish tale/I don't know/Go ask Shakespeare."

"I had to express myself, not only musically but lyrically. It was time for me to ask, 'who are these people who are taking control of our lives and how do we stop the violence?," adds Bacharach. "I've got two little kids and a 19-year-old son and I wonder what they're going to do with their lives. It's so personal to me that I even decided to do some of the singing. This is dedicated to my kids and your kids."

Andrew Hale, from the band Sade, who oversaw the A&R for the album, concludes: "It would have been easy to ask Burt to make another record that rested on his laurels, but here he's speaking from the heart. He's pissed at the administration, concerned about the world he is leaving to his children, and you can feel it."

The UK release date is October 24th, with the album coming out a week later across North America.
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

He teamed up with Dr. Dre????

WTF???

Credibility = ZERO [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Plus his music sucks an elephant dick.
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Oct 1 2005, 08:40 PM) Quoted post

WTF???

[/b][/quote]

Dre's music sucks? I was listening to him and Cube this morning on the way home from work on "Natural Born Killaz." I'm a cracka who loves me some Dre...
      The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

my mother once had me to go see burt bacharach.

anyway, why now? just cause you have an album out you now think its a good time to bitch & moan? hell most people figured out to express their opinions LAST yr.

Comment

No kidding...I've already put this in the "Signs The Apocalypse Is Upon Us" file...

Burt Bacharach and Dr. Dre...

Oil and water mix better...
          " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Oct 1 2005, 08:37 PM) Quoted post

You know things are bad when this dude's piling on.

[/b][/quote]

Sad to say, I've thought about six feet worth of earth had been piled onto good old Burt.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(skippy05 @ Oct 1 2005, 07:58 PM) Quoted post

WTF???

[/b][/quote]

Dre's music sucks? I was listening to him and Cube this morning on the way home from work on "Natural Born Killaz." I'm a cracka who loves me some Dre...
              [/b][/quote]
              I used to listen to NWA back in the day. I loved 'The Chronic' when it came out. I still remember when I bought it. I got it in the Columbia (MO) Mall the day it came out. The next day I went on an AAU basketball trip and all of the guys on the team wanted to listen to it. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade. All I listened to was rap. You name it (from the late 80's through about 1996), I listened to it. I fucking loved Ice Cube. Eazy-E was my dawg too. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Dre seems like a cool dude. I'd like to chill with him. I just can't get into rap at all anymore. I have friends who still listen to it and it doesn't bother (for the first 30 or so minutes [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] ). I'm not sure what my problem is, but I just can't "jam" to it like I used to. I'd rather have my Pearl Jam, Neil Young, The Doors, DMB, Coldplay, etc.

Rap just doesn't do it for me "no mo". [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
              --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Oct 1 2005, 09:14 PM) Quoted post

WTF???

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                I used to listen to NWA back in the day. I loved 'The Chronic' when it came out. I still remember when I bought it. I got it in the Columbia (MO) Mall the day it came out. The next day I went on an AAU basketball trip and all of the guys on the team wanted to listen to it. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade. All I listened to was rap. You name it (from the late 80's through about 1996), I listened to it. I fucking loved Ice Cube. Eazy-E was my dawg too. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Dre seems like a cool dude. I'd like to chill with him. I just can't get into rap at all anymore. I have friends who still listen to it and it doesn't bother (for the first 30 or so minutes [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] ). I'm not sure what my problem is, but I just can't "jam" to it like I used to. I'd rather have my Pearl Jam, Neil Young, The Doors, DMB, Coldplay, etc.

Rap just doesn't do it for me "no mo". [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
                [/b][/quote]

Hit the nail on the head for me too, "F"...

I'm not bashing it...just doesn't fall onto my "list" anymore...
                " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

<>

The new Ryan Adams CD is bad ace..............according to my brother. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm down with Ryan Adams. I will be buying it soon. I heard the new Neil Young aint too bad either.
                  --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

"F" and ,

Sounds like you guys matured beyond c(rap) music.

IMO, it's mindless muttering.
                    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Oct 1 2005, 09:14 PM) Quoted post

WTF???

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

When I was in high school, it was all about "Straight Outta Compton" and Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz It"...I can still quote all the lyrics...

Comment

RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 1 2005, 09:28 PM) Quoted post

"F" and ,

Sounds like you guys matured beyond c(rap) music.

IMO, it's mindless muttering.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          i don't know anyone who used to listen to 80s and early 90s rap who still likes it.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 1 2005, 09:32 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Is that McKernan and the PFG?

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 1 2005, 08:32 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              That is fucking hilarious. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Thank you for that. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                              --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

Working...
                              X