I just had a sad visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just had a sad visit

I have a year lease on a condo in Pensacola that I lease from a Navy pilot. I've never met the guy as he was from Pensacola to Jacksonville and uses a leasing agent. I was watching cfb today when I heard a knock at the door. I answered to find a guy standing somewhat nervously in front of me. He apologized for bothering me, and said in a very quiet voice that he didn't know how to start what he needed to say. He looked down, his lip began quivering, and asked me if I knew the person that owned the condo. I said no and began to wonder whether I had a bad salesman in front of me, or a bad Jehovah's witness, or what. He looked up at me and said that his brother owned the condo, and he had been killed in a plane accident in Jacksonville last week. He went on to say how he had just flown in from London, where he's been living for the past six years, and he told me that he may have to move back to the U.S. now to be with his parents and to help wind up his brother's affairs. He had never seen his brother's condo, and asked me if he could come in, to which I said of course. We talked and he told me about his brother, and then told me that his family had not yet decided what to do with the condo. He said he might be moving back to the United States at Christmas, and then stopped. I knew what he wanted to ask, and I told him he could have the condo whenever he needed. He began crying, and said he wished I could have known his brother, thanked me and left.

It's a legit story too.

Navy plane crashes into Jacksonville park; pilot, co-pilot killed

Associated Press

September 21, 2005, 4:00 PM EDT

JACKSONVILLE -- A Navy jet crashed Wednesday into a park near Jacksonville Naval Air Station as it attempted to land in a rainstorm, killing the pilot and co-pilot.

The S-3 Viking went down about noon in Westside Regional Park, across a highway from the landing strip, said Bill Dougherty, a Navy spokesman.

Dougherty said the names of the two Navy pilots were being withheld until relatives are notified. Navy policy bars releasing the names until 24 hours after family members are notified.

The jet was part of Sea Control Squadron 32, also known as the Maulers, at Jacksonville Naval Air Station.

The crash occurred as Jacksonville was being buffeted by heavy rains from the outer bands of Hurricane Rita.

``We saw a flash, heard a boom and then we went outside and saw smoke,'' said Deena Trent, owner of a seafood restaurant near the crash site. ``It was louder than thunder.''

Police were blocking entrances to Westside Regional Park and a few businesses across the highway from the naval station.

Dougherty said the crash is under investigation.

The S-3 is used for many missions, including surveillance, electronic countermeasures, warfare and search and rescue. All three of the Navy's East Coast squadrons of Vikings are based at Jacksonville Naval Air Station.

President Bush landed on the USS Abraham Lincoln in a S-3B Viking off the coast of California in May 2003 to mark the end of major combat operations in Iraq.
    Copyright © 2005, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Wow, that is a hard situation to deal with.

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

How do you console someone you've never met until that moment?
      June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Oct 1 2005, 03:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

scotch
        No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
        President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
        President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Oct 1 2005, 02:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

That would be tough tbf.

Sounds like you did alright.
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

racist.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(mw.2 @ Oct 1 2005, 02:16 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Oct 1 2005, 03:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

scotch
              [/b][/quote]
              aside from being friendly, you don't. You did the best thing by telling him you would have no problem relocating if it helped his family best

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Man - that is so tough.

Your a good man TBF.
                Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Wow. That would suck.

Comment

What a situation to be in; at least, if only in a small way, it made that guy feel a little better though, being able to see the condo and talk about it, plus the big relief of the possibility of access to the condo later.

You did good.

Comment

QUOTE(tallahassee blues fan @ Oct 1 2005, 02:13 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I don't know, but i sure as hell would be terrible at it. What a sad story.

Comment

You did an honorable thing there mate. My dad, God rest his soul, went to Navy flight school there. His PBY is in the Naval Air Museum there. That hit close to home. You did well.

Comment

Working...
                        X