AL playoff scenarios...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL playoff scenarios...

Of course, we all know about the Yankees/Red Sox series which will decide the AL East....but I was thinking about the overall playoff picture.

For the Red Sox to win the division, they have to win all three games.
    For the Yankees to win the division, they have to win at least 2 games.
    For the Indians to clinch the wild card, they have to win all three from the White sox.

Here's where it gets interesting: If the Red Sox win 2, they are in a tie with the Yankees for the playoffs. They would have to play a tiebreaker to decide who wins the division.
    If the Indians also win 2 of their series, they would also be tied....and would then have to play the loser of the Yankee/Red Sox game to decide who gets the wild card.

Either way, it'll be an interesting weekend.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Sep 30 2005, 04:53 PM) Quoted post

Of course, we all know about the Yankees/Red Sox series which will decide the AL East....but I was thinking about the overall playoff picture.

For the Indians to clinch the wild card, they have to win all three from the White sox.

Here's where it gets interesting: If the Red Sox win 2, they are in a tie with the Yankees for the playoffs. They would have to play a tiebreaker to decide who wins the division.
    If the Indians also win 2 of their series, they would also be tied....and would then have to play the loser of the Yankee/Red Sox game to decide who gets the wild card.

[/b][/quote]
    If the last scenario happens, say bye bye to that potential off day for the Cardinals.....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 30 2005, 04:57 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
      If the last scenario happens, say bye bye to that potential off day for the Cardinals.....
      [/b][/quote]

Yup. That's the first thing that crossed my mind too.
      Of course you do.

Comment

[/b][/quote]
        Remember that if the Red Sox win 2 but the Indians don't then there is no playoff as H2H would decide the winner of the AL East and the 2nd place team would win the Wild Card.
        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 30 2005, 04:57 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
          [/b][/quote]

Which off day? Wednesday?
          " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

The tentative schedule right now is...if the Birds play the Padres, they play on Tuesday and Thursday...

If they were to play the Phils, they'd play on Wednesday and Thursday...

If the last scenario happens, they'd end up playing on Wednesday and Thursday regardless...so they'd be off on Monday and Tuesday, as well as Friday...
            " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
            X