Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busch Bits

Busch Stadium Firsts
    • Game: 05/12/1966 -- Braves 3, Cardinals 4 (12 innings)
    • Attendance at first game: 46,048.
    Batting Firsts
    • Batter: Felipe Alou (ground out)
    • Hit: Gary Geiger (single)
    • Run: Jerry Buchek
    • RBI: Mike Shannon
    • Single: Gary Geiger
    • Double: Gary Geiger
    • Triple: Mike Shannon
    • Home Run: Felipe Alou
    • Grand Slam: Curt Flood (05/25/1966)
    • Stolen Base: Lou Brock (05/15/1966)
    • Cycle: Billy Williams (07/17/1966)
    Pitching Firsts
    • Win: Don Dennis
    • Loss: Phil Niekro
    • Shutout: Al Jackson (05/13/1966)
    • Save: Nelson Briles (05/15/1966)
    • No-Hitter: Bob Forsch (04/16/1978)

Food
    • Over 1 million hot dogs are consumed each year at the stadium which equals 15,000 at any one game during the season
    • Over 1 million large sodas sold annually
    • 650,000 orders of nachos are sold each year
    • 375,000 bags of peanuts are sold each year

Busch Stadium Dimensions
    • Busch Stadium's basic structure is concrete.
    • The stadium is a two-deck facility with nearly half the seats in each deck.
    • The seats completely surround the field without posts or columns that might obstruct fans' views.
    • The stadium has an outside diameter of more than 800 feet, covers more than 12 acres and is 130-feet tall, measured from the playing field to the top of the stadium.
    • The playing field at Busch Stadium is 10-to-30 feet lower than street level.
    • There are eight major entrances.
    • Busch Stadium capacity is 50,345.
    • The stadium was originally built as a pitcher's park -- conducive to teams that use speed and defense to win games. But in 1996, the stadium's power alleys were shortened by 11 feet and center field was shortened by 12 feet. The changes have made the park more hitter-friendly.

Football
    • Two football teams have called Busch Stadium its home; the St. Louis Cardinals and the St. Louis Rams.
    • In order for the stadium to be converted from a baseball field to a football field, two sets of 8,000 seats were be moved parallel to each other to form the football gridiron.
    • Astroturf replaced natural grass in 1973 so the stadium could be converted from football to baseball more easily.
    • The Rams played part of the 1995 season at Busch Stadium and then moved into their own stadium, the Edward Jones Dome.
    • The last football game ever at Busch Stadium was played on October 22, 1995, against the San Francisco 49ers.

This 'n that
    • When the stadium went back to natural grass in 1996, 42 miles of heating coil was installed under the grass surface to keep the grass growing.
    • The arches that create the terrace on the stadium were made to mimic the St. Louis Gateway Arch. There are 96 total arches.
    • The stadium was originally known as Busch Memorial Stadium, but the name was shortened to just Busch Stadium in 1982.
    • Because of the team's long association with the Anheuser Busch Brewing Co., the traditional seventh-inning stretch rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is followed after the bottom of the seventh by the Budweiser "King Of Beers" jingle.
    • The stadium was designed by Edward Durell Stone, who also designed the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington D.C.
    • There are bronze statues representing all of the Cardinals' Hall of Famers, including a 10-foot statue of Stan "The Man" Musial.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Good info. But I don't get this:

Busch Stadium Firsts

Pitching Firsts
    • Loss: Phil Niekro[/b][/quote]

Are the losing and winning pitchers reversed?
    "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Sep 30 2005, 09:00 AM) Quoted post

Busch Stadium Firsts

Pitching Firsts

[/b][/quote]
      Last time i checked the team with the most points wins

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(jhanke @ Sep 30 2005, 09:03 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
        baseball has points?
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Sep 30 2005, 09:00 AM) Quoted post

Busch Stadium Firsts

Pitching Firsts

[/b][/quote]
          [/b][/quote]

Holy crap, I need to be screened for dyslexia! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

mike shannon hit the first Cardinal homerun there.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 30 2005, 09:04 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              baseball has points?
              [/b][/quote]
              runs points talleys what ever

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

If you don't agree with something blame www.stlcardinals.com because that is the info they are providing
                Sponsor of:
                Brian Elliott
                Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

we all know it holds the heat well.

but as us old-timers can tell you: it holds the cold equally as well
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

QUOTE(Deacon Blues @ Sep 30 2005, 11:06 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    oh this is true. freezing to death and then burning my tongue on my hot chocolate.

I hated going to those games except when we actually beat the cowboys.

Comment

Some other facts, courtesy of ballparks.com....

Dimensions: Foul lines: 330; power alleys: 386 (1966), 376 (1973), 386 (1977), 383 (July 1983), 375 (1992), 372 (1996/97); center field: 414 (1966), 410 (1971), 414 (1972), 404 (1973), 414 (1977), 402 (1992); backstop: 64 (Vin Scully’s unofficial measurement during 1985 World Series showed this to be 50 rather than 64); foul territory: large.

Fences: Left and right fields: 10.5 (padded concrete), 8 (padded canvas, 1992); center field: 10.5 (padded concrete, 1966), 8 (wood, 1973), 10.5 (padded concrete, 1977), 8 (padded canvas, 1992).

From 1970 to 1976 the entire field was artificial turf, except for the part of the infield that is normally dirt on a grass field. In 1977 this was carpeted except for the sliding pits. This is one of only two instances where there was a full dirt infield with an otherwise fully artificial field, the other being Candlestick Park in 1971.

At league direction, the site designated for any Chicago Cubs playoff or World Series home games from 1986 until 1988, when Wrigley Field finally installed lights.[/b][/quote]

If you wanna see the boxscore for the first game @ Busch Stadium II, check out www.retrosheet.org...

Code:
                      Game Played on Thursday, May 12, 1966 (N) at Busch Stadium II

ATL N    0  0  0    1  0  1    0  1  0    0  0  0  -   3  6  2
                      STL N    0  0  2    0  0  0    0  0  1    0  0  1  -   4 12  0

BATTING

Atlanta Braves        AB   R   H RBI      BB  SO      PO   A
                      Alou lf,rf             6   2   2   2       0   0       3   0
                      Geiger cf              4   1   3   0       1   1       2   0
                      Aaron rf               3   0   0   0       1   0       3   0
                        O'Dell p             0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Olivo p              0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Oliver ph            0   0   0   0       1   0       0   0
                        Alomar pr            0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Niekro p             0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                      Torre c                5   0   0   0       0   0       6   1
                      Thomas 1b              4   0   0   1       0   1      15   0
                      Mathews 3b             4   0   1   0       1   1       0   3
                      Bolling 2b             4   0   0   0       0   0       1   3
                      Woodward ss            5   0   0   0       0   1       2   4
                      Blasingame p           3   0   0   0       0   0       0   1
                        Keough lf            0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Carty ph,lf          1   0   0   0       1   0       1   0
                      Totals                39   3   6   3       5   4      33  12

FIELDING - 
                      E: Torre (3), Keough (1).

BATTING - 
                      2B: Geiger 2 (3,off Washburn 2).
                      HR: Alou 2 (8,6th inning off Washburn 0 on, 0 out,8th inning off Stallard 0
                      on, 0 out).
                      SH: Bolling (2,off Washburn).
                      SF: Thomas (1,off Washburn).
                      Team LOB: 7.

St. Louis Cardinals   AB   R   H RBI      BB  SO      PO   A
                      Javier 2b              5   0   0   0       1   0       2   9
                      Shannon rf             6   1   3   1       0   0       4   0
                      Flood cf               4   1   1   1       1   0       4   0
                      Cepeda 1b              5   0   1   0       0   1      18   2
                      Smith 3b               5   0   1   0       1   1       0   2
                      Johnson lf             4   1   1   0       0   0       0   0
                        Skinner ph           1   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Brock lf             1   0   1   1       0   0       0   0
                      McCarver c             5   0   0   0       0   0       4   1
                      Buchek ss              4   1   2   1       1   1       3   3
                      Washburn p             2   0   0   0       0   1       1   3
                        Gagliano ph          1   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Stallard p           0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Hoerner p            0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                        Gibson ph            1   0   1   0       0   0       0   0
                        Woodeshick p         1   0   1   0       0   0       0   1
                        Dennis p             0   0   0   0       0   0       0   0
                      Totals                45   4  12   4       4   4      36  21

FIELDING - 
                      DP: 1.

BATTING - 
                      2B: Woodeshick (1,off Niekro).
                      3B: Shannon (1,off Blasingame).
                      SH: Cepeda (1,off Niekro).
                      HBP: Flood (1,by Niekro).
                      IBB: Buchek (1,by Blasingame); Javier (1,by Niekro); Smith (1,by Niekro).
                      Team LOB: 14.

PITCHING

Atlanta Braves        IP     H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR
                      Blasingame             7     5   2   2   1   3   0
                      O'Dell                 2.1   5   1   1   1   1   0
                      Olivo                  0.2   0   0   0   0   0   0
                      Niekro L(2-3)          1     2   1   1   2   0   0
                      Totals                11    12   4   4   4   4   0

St. Louis Cardinals   IP     H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR
                      Washburn               7     5   2   2   1   2   1
                      Stallard               0.2   1   1   1   1   0   1
                      Hoerner                1.1   0   0   0   0   0   0
                      Woodeshick             2.2   0   0   0   3   2   0
                      Dennis W(1-0)          0.1   0   0   0   0   0   0
                      Totals                12     6   3   3   5   4   2

WP: Blasingame (2).
                      HBP: Niekro (2,Flood).
                      IBB: Blasingame (1,Buchek); Niekro 2 (4,Javier,Smith).

Umpires: John Kibler, Bill Jackowski, Ed Sudol, Paul Pryor

Time of Game: 3:28   Attendance: 46048

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 30 2005, 10:08 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        oh this is true. freezing to death and then burning my tongue on my hot chocolate.

[/b][/quote]

good times. good times

I was at the Thanksgiving Day carving vs the Dolphins. too bad 10 year olds can't drink whiskey

Comment

QUOTE(Deacon Blues @ Sep 30 2005, 11:17 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 30 2005, 10:08 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

good times. good times

I was at the Thanksgiving Day carving vs the Dolphins. too bad 10 year olds can't drink whiskey
                          [/b][/quote]
                          [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

my dad used to cuss a lot on the way home from games. Esp when we played the cowboys. I believed the refs were paid off because I was told they were paid off. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

oh, yeah... i was at the Thanksgiving game the year before too when OJ Simpson sliced up the Big Red (1975)

so many memories coming back now

Comment

I was there for Dan Dierdorf's last game. It snowed the entire day & was brutally cold.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor:
                              The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

Working...
                              X