Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rams' injuries abound: Bruce doubtful, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams' injuries abound: Bruce doubtful, ...

Is Jamie Martin really still the backup to Bulger?

Rams have plenty of starters on growing injury list
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/28/2005

When a reporter asked him last week about the dearth of injuries this season, Rams coach Mike Martz responded with feigned anger. "Are you trying to jinx us?" he shot back. "Next question . . . next question . . . "

Jinx or not, the injury report the team compiled Wednesday easily was the longest so far. Nine players were listed, and seven missed at least part of the first practice since Sunday's victory.

Two starters, running back Steven Jackson (chest) and safety Michael Hawthorne (ankle), were categorized as "questionable." Under NFL guidelines, that means their chances of playing Sunday against the Giants at New York are 50-50.

Jackson said his sore sternum was "feeling OK." Martz termed Jackson "day-to-day. We've got several of those guys." That includes Hawthorne, but he appeared to have little difficulty running and cutting on his own Wednesday.Advertisement

The "probable" group comprised quarterback Marc Bulger (ribs), cornerback Terry Fair (neck), defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy (illness), tight end and fullback Brandon Manumaleuna (knee) and guard Tom Nutten (toe). Bulger and Fair took part in all drills Wednesday.

Bulger said that his ribs were bruised in the season opener Sept. 11 at San Francisco but that he kept quiet about it. "I'm not stupid enough to tell the trainers or anyone that I have sore ribs," said Bulger, who has been sacked a league-high 15 times. "Now that it's out ... they're a little bit sore."

Tackle Rex Tucker (calf), who hasn't played since the opener, was "doubtful," although he said he wouldn't be ready by Sunday. "Next week, hopefully," Tucker said, crossing fingers on both hands.

Of greatest concern is the "turf toe" injury suffered by wide receiver Isaac Bruce late in the first half vs. the Titans. Bruce also was "doubtful," indicating a 75 percent chance that he won't suit up.

Martz said Bruce's availability might not be determined until Sunday morning. "The capsule (on his left big toe) was not torn; it's just swollen," Martz said. "If Isaac's ready to go, he'll be ready to go. But we'll talk to him every day and just see how it is."

Kevin Curtis would step in for Bruce with the first unit, as he did last Sunday in the second half. Curtis caught four passes for 54 yards, including a 10-yard go- ahead touchdown, in the last 30 minutes.

The Rams' passing-game approach wouldn't be altered if Bruce were out and Curtis were in, Bulger said. "There are a lot of things that Isaac brings to our team that we'll miss: route-running, blocking, just being that leader out there," Bulger said. "So, we'll miss him if he can't go. But Kevin knows what he's doing. ... There are different things that Kevin does better than Isaac."

That's a very short list, Curtis emphasized. "I'm definitely not Isaac. I'd say almost everything he does is better than I do," Curtis said. But he wouldn't deny that he'd favor himself in a race.

"I don't want to say Isaac's slow, by any means," Curtis said. "But that's probably one of my biggest strengths, my speed."

Preparing to start, Curtis said, varies little from his usual role. "Every week I've got to be ready anyway if Isaac does go down," he said. "I've just got to make sure I'm on top of it."

If Nutten can't go Sunday, rookie Claude Terrell probably would step into the lineup. Converted safety Mike Furrey probably would be Hawthorne's stand-in, and rookie Madison Hedgecock would see more playing time in Manumaleuna's absence.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

If Bulger can't go, the Rams are fucked.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

We'll rally around Jamie Martin....
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 29 2005, 04:20 PM) Quoted post

If Bulger can't go, the Rams are fucked.
        [/b][/quote]

++

Bugler out - Rams fucked

Jackson out - hurts bad but Marshall looked pretty good last week

Bruce out - Curtis can fill in capably, they can manage
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Furrey at safety? That should be interesting.

Comment

What happened to the kid from Stanford?

Is he a bust? He can't even beat out a converted WR?
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 29 2005, 04:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Bernie said on his board that he is absolutely lost out there. Things happening too fast for him at this level.

How can Fitz-whatever not be the backup to Bulger? Does Jamie Martin have naked pictures of Martz or something?
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Hasn't Martin been passable as a fill-in in the past? You really want a seventh-rounder in there?

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 29 2005, 04:42 PM) Quoted post

Hasn't Martin been passable as a fill-in in the past? You really want a seventh-rounder in there?
                  [/b][/quote]

Martin has done okay while playing in the past. I sure as hell don't want a rookie starting in place of Bulger.
                  *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 29 2005, 04:42 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Martin can't throw for more than 10 yards.
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Since Bulger is the starting QB on my Fantasy Team, I pray for a speedy recovery.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor:
                      The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 29 2005, 04:35 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 29 2005, 04:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Bernie said on his board that he is absolutely lost out there. Things happening too fast for him at this level.

How can Fitz-whatever not be the backup to Bulger? Does Jamie Martin have naked pictures of Martz or something?
                        [/b][/quote]

Thanks. That explains some things. Even worse is the 2nd round pick can't even beat out a former 7th round castoff from a Green Bay team that had had a gawk awufl secondary last leason. I guess Carter must be considered strictly a SS.

I liked what I saw of Fitz in preseason. Decent arm, some athleticism, obviously he's pretty bright. I'd rather see him in there instead of Martin but Martz likes to have LOTS of plays in the gameplan. He wouldn't likely want to simplify it for rookie. He'd rather watch Martin throw ducks.
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 29 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

Bulger said that his ribs were bruised in the season opener Sept. 11 at San Francisco but that he kept quiet about it. "I'm not stupid enough to tell the trainers or anyone that I have sore ribs," said Bulger, who has been sacked a league-high 15 times. "Now that it's out ... they're a little bit sore."

[/b][/quote]
                          I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. After dealing with JD Drew and his assorted ouchies with the Cardinals and now Dodgers, I'm liking his attitude. That said, if he's hurt then yes - we're fucked.

What is it about our teams and injuries this year?

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

QUOTE(DLove @ Sep 29 2005, 06:19 PM) Quoted post

What is it about our teams and injuries this year?
                            [/b][/quote]

I'd be thrilled if Alex Barron didn't play all year. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/martz.gif[/img]
                            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Working...
                            X