Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberts Confirmed As Chief Justice

Roberts confirmed as chief justice

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Judge John Roberts was easily confirmed Thursday to be the 17th chief justice of the United States, winning Senate approval with a solid majority.

He is expected to be sworn in to the post later in the day.

The 78-22 vote ended a nearly three-month roller coaster ride for the 50-year-old federal appeals judge.

He was originally nominated to fill the vacancy created by the pending retirement of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. But following the death of Chief Justice William Rehnquist September 3, Roberts was quickly named by President Bush to take over the court's top spot.

All 55 Republicans were united in their support. They were joined by 22 Democrats and one independent senator. Twenty-two Democrats voted no.

In an unusual break from tradition, senators voted from their seats as their names were called. Lawmakers usually are free to mill about the floor or leave the chamber.

The vote was never in doubt, despite misgivings from some Democrats that Roberts would be too conservative.

"I hope I am proven wrong about John Roberts," said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, in a floor speech before the vote. "I have been proven wrong before on my confirmation votes. I regret my vote to confirm Justice Scalia, even though he too, like Judge Roberts was a nice person and a very smart Harvard lawyer."

Kennedy was also among five Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee to vote against Roberts. Others voting in opposition included Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, Dianne Feinstein of California and Evan Bayh from Roberts' home state of Indiana.

Democrats voting yes included Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Ron Wyden of Oregon and Max Baucus of Montana.

"I do not know, none of us do, the mark that Chief Justice Roberts will leave on the court," said Sen. Mitch McConnell R-Kentucky. "With his many fine qualities he may be a great administrator, he may leave some great reform of our court system, he may revolutionize some area of law -- but he will be a successful leader."[/b][/quote]

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/29/rob...tion/index.html
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

FAR52 Confirmed as official Sports Lounge Right Wing News Informer. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 29 2005, 11:38 AM) Quoted post

FAR52 Confirmed as official Sports Lounge Right Wing News Informer. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
      [/b][/quote]
      Who's the official Sports Lounge Left Wing News Informer? Is it a shared responsibility on a day-to-day basis? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 29 2005, 11:38 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Why thank you. I don't know what to say. There are so many people to thank . . .

Edit: Oh, and please note that I used a CNN link -- not a Fox News link -- to report the development. I'm trying to take a "fair and balanced" approach to my newly assumed duties. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Pretty convincing. Rehnquist was made Chief 65-33 and Burger voted in 74-3.

The next nominee will make for interesting politics.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 29 2005, 10:50 AM) Quoted post

Moon
            [/b][/quote]

++

You might think Bush & Co. would read poll numbers and avoid a fight. But this is a group that decided to govern as if it had a mandate after first year election. You know there's going to be a donnybrook on this next one. I'm thinking he nominates Phyllis Schafley.
            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 29 2005, 11:50 AM) Quoted post

Moon
              [/b][/quote]

I feel sorry for the next nominee. Roberts set the bar awfully high. If the new nominee uses notes during his testimony -- look out.

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 29 2005, 09:53 AM) Quoted post

Moon
                [/b][/quote]

++

You might think Bush & Co. would read poll numbers and avoid a fight. But this is a group that decided to govern as if it had a mandate after first year election. You know there's going to be a donnybrook on this next one. I'm thinking he nominates Phyllis Schafley.
                [/b][/quote]

John Ashcroft.
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 29 2005, 11:50 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Yes, there is where the fight may be.
                  Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 29 2005, 11:53 AM) Quoted post

Moon
                    [/b][/quote]

++

[/b][/quote]

I'm thinking it will be Alberto Gonzalez....

Comment

Moon
                      [/b][/quote]

++

[/b][/quote]

If avoiding a fight means nominating someone that Bush doesn't like, then I don't think he should do it.
                      "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Sep 29 2005, 03:57 PM) Quoted post

Moon
                        [/b][/quote]

++

[/b][/quote]

If avoiding a fight means nominating someone that Bush doesn't like, then I don't think he should do it.
                        [/b][/quote]

It means that instead of nominating someone that you know will have strong opposition on the senate floor you choose a person that fits comfortably with your ideology that might have an easier time of it during nofirmation. An example is Clinton's nomination of Ruth Bader Ginsburg instead of the guy he really wanted on the court, Bruce Babbitt. Senate Republicans from the Western states made clear that Babbitt would be greeted with a furious confirmation battle. Clinton compromised and nominated the Ginsburg instead.

Democrats have cited a portion of Sen. Orrin Hatch's autobiography, Square Peg: Confessions of a Citizen Senator, as evidence that Clinton worked extensively with Republican senators. In the following passage, Hatch discusses telling Clinton that his top choice, Interior secretary and former Arizona governor Bruce Babbitt, would have a hard time in the Senate:

I told him [Clinton] that confirmation would not be easy. At least one Democrat would probably vote against Bruce, and there would be a great deal of resistance from the Republican side. I explained to the President that although he might prevail in the end, he should consider whether he wanted a tough, political battle over his first appointment to the Court.

Our conversation moved to other potential candidates. I asked whether he had considered Judge Stephen Breyer of the First Circuit Court of Appeals or Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. President Clinton indicated he had heard Breyer's name but had not thought about Judge Ginsberg.

I indicated I thought they would be confirmed easily. I knew them both and believed that, while liberal, they were highly honest and capable jurists and their confirmation would not embarrass the President. From my perspective, they were far better than the other likely candidates from a liberal Democrat administration.

[/b][/quote]

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200507050949.asp
                        Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Novel approach...nominate the best person for the job. Regardless of politics. Yeah, I know...pipedream.

The liberals with ambition voted No for obvious reasons.
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(hkyfan @ Sep 29 2005, 04:07 PM) Quoted post
                            Democrats have cited a portion of Sen. Orrin Hatch's autobiography, Square Peg: Confessions of a Citizen Senator, as evidence that Clinton worked extensively with Republican senators. In the following passage, Hatch discusses telling Clinton that his top choice, Interior secretary and former Arizona governor Bruce Babbitt, would have a hard time in the Senate:

I told him [Clinton] that confirmation would not be easy. At least one Democrat would probably vote against Bruce, and there would be a great deal of resistance from the Republican side. I explained to the President that although he might prevail in the end, he should consider whether he wanted a tough, political battle over his first appointment to the Court.

Our conversation moved to other potential candidates. I asked whether he had considered Judge Stephen Breyer of the First Circuit Court of Appeals or Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. President Clinton indicated he had heard Breyer's name but had not thought about Judge Ginsberg.

I indicated I thought they would be confirmed easily. I knew them both and believed that, while liberal, they were highly honest and capable jurists and their confirmation would not embarrass the President. From my perspective, they were far better than the other likely candidates from a liberal Democrat administration.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            Sounds like Orin Hatch wants his readers to believe that he is the one choosing who sits on the Supreme Court.

Comment

In order to fill this next vacancy with the person they want, it's possible that this Administration will not nominate that person first.

They might send up a lightening rod, let the Dems kill it and declare victory, and send their first choice up on the second ballot.

Possible. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X