Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbf's concerns about the Cardinals

It's official: I'm concerned.

Yes, we clinched, but we've certainly had things to play for in the past 10 days....trying to win 100 games back-to-back, Carp going for Cy Young, Albert for MVP. In other words, there were reasons not to phone these games in.

Since then.....

Albert hasn't hit a homer or gotten a big hit in three weeks.

Carpenter has struggled, giving up a ton of hits, in past 3-4 starts.

Mulder stunk last time out.

Izzy blew up again last night.

King has not turned it around. And Tavarez shows every indication of joining him.

On the other hand, Walker and Sanders will be ready to help in the playoffs, and Al Reyes has been pretty damned steady.

It just seems like a switch got flipped after we clinched the Central. Haven't lost the faith, but am looking for the worry beads.

Discuss.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

I was told we can't have concerns or worries...

This thread sucks...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The question isn't what is this team capable of. We all know they're the best the NL has to offer.

The question is can they flip the switch on playing again....

Most teams can't. We'll have to wait and see what the birds do.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I agree with him. I haven't voiced this opinion much though because it just comes off as a chicken little/ the sky is falling kind of thing.

All in all, I'd rather be in our shoes than a team like Philly trying to get in. For those hoping that when the playoffs start the Cardinals can flip the switch the other way, I hope we're not disappointed.

I am concerned in a "I hope I'm wrong" kind of way.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

My biggest concern isn't the pitching, really, although it probably should be.

It's Albert. He just doesn't flip the switch off, or lose his edge, or take a game off. We've see that for five straight years. He's really pressing, and reaching for the ball, and as he goes, so goes the offense. I'm just not convinced that's going to change just because the playoffs are starting. He plays every game like it's the playoffs.
          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 29 2005, 11:02 AM) Quoted post

It's Albert. He just doesn't flip the switch off, or lose his edge, or take a game off. We've see that for five straight years. He's really pressing, and reaching for the ball, and as he goes, so goes the offense. I'm just not convinced that's going to change just because the playoffs are starting. He plays every game like it's the playoffs.
              [/b][/quote]

Maybe he is pressing trying to hit #40. I don't know. I doubt it. Could be just one of those things.

He does have me worried though.

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 29 2005, 11:06 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Maybe he is pressing trying to hit #40. I don't know. I doubt it. Could be just one of those things.

[/b][/quote]
                You're going to hell...

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 29 2005, 11:07 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                  You're going to hell...
                  [/b][/quote]

No doubt about that

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 29 2005, 11:09 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 29 2005, 11:07 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                    You're going to hell...
                    [/b][/quote]

No doubt about that
                    [/b][/quote]
                    I'm driving the 'I'm concerned bus' down there...

Comment

On the other hand (I love debating myself).....

Albert came within a foot of hitting one out last night.

Walker is back. Sanders is back. Eckstein never left.

Carp said in post-game show that he had good stuff, felt great, and is ready for Game 1. He called it a "strange game." I could point out that he coughed up the lead about four times, but I'll take him at his word. He usually isn't one to blow smoke.

TLR has had the good sense lately not to pitch Ray King.

And...Izzy never has been any good unless a save is on the line.
                      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

"Not at my computer today. Do me a favor. Tell SG and the rest of the Chicken Limpdicks in the GDT to sack the icon_exclaim.gif up. The bedwetting is making me kick my dog and drown my cats. "

(guess who told me to say that?)
                        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 29 2005, 11:13 AM) Quoted post

On the other hand (I love debating myself).....

Albert came within a foot of hitting one out last night.

Walker is back. Sanders is back. Eckstein never left.

Carp said in post-game show that he had good stuff, felt great, and is ready for Game 1. He called it a "strange game." I could point out that he coughed up the lead about four times, but I'll take him at his word. He usually isn't one to blow smoke.

TLR has had the good sense lately not to pitch Ray King.

And...Izzy never has been any good unless a save is on the line.
                          [/b][/quote]

Never mind that other stuff I said.

I'm ok now.

Double Naught - let me off this damn bus

Comment

Dum, dum......

Hear that? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

Dum, dum....

It's coming... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]

Dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum............DUM!!!

It's KAHHHHHHH!!
                            "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

I just pissed myself. But that's nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

Working...
                              X