Need a little help from other teachers/parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help from other teachers/parents

My “sister” called me this morning asking me for some advice. I told her my thoughts about the situation, and told her I’d bring it up here, since well, that’s what we all seem to do from time to time. (That and I know there are a few teachers/former teachers/substitutes here that may have some first hand knowledge with this).

My nephew is a freshman in high school; he has a black teacher that keeps calling him “cracker”. My nephew is tired of it, just told his parents about it last night and apparently this has been going on all school year (6 weeks). My nephew doesn’t want to be “pin pointed” and his parents want to bring this issue to the attention of the appropriate persons at the school, but want to abide by his wishes and do this anonymously.

My sister told me that the kids were on the bus yesterday talking about this teacher and it was brought up by several other white students that he is doing the same thing with them. I’m told that there was a black kid on the bus as well, and she said that SHE was offended of this occurrence (I took that as meaning she was offended for the white kids that this “name calling” was occurring).

My sister said that there is a group of parents that communicate via email, which she is a part of. She was going to bring this up with them and ask them if they had heard anything from their kids about the teacher in question.

I suggested for them to call the school talk to the Principal, and tell them that there is an issue going on in this teacher’s class which they need to investigate.

IMO - the best way to go about it is the email with the other parents at first to see how many more people are out there and then to go to the school. If other kids “fess up”, then it will be easier to go about this situation without one kid being “pin pointed”.

Unfortunately, I don’t know many other details, other than what she told me this morning, that of which is only what my nephew wanted to tell her. I’m sure there is a lot more going on with this story. I don’t know if this is the first year this teacher has taught at this school or what his previous history is.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to your thoughts - if she is going about this the right way or even if anyone has had any experience with this in the past. If you don’t want to go public with anything, feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
    Feb. 08, 2005
    Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
    Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
    Originally posted by Airshark
    NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Parents should get together and discuss it. Then they should go to the principal in person and demand action on his/her part. No reason this should be happening and the teacher should be disciplined, reassigned, or fired.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 29 2005, 08:58 AM) Quoted post

Parents should get together and discuss it. Then they should go to the principal in person and demand action on his/her part. No reason this should be happening and the teacher should be disciplined, reassigned, or fired.

Moon
      [/b][/quote]

I guess it would be inappropriate for him to respond, "What do you want nigga?"
      On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

In all seriousness....the parents have to meet with the principal. This is not acceptable behavior.
        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

i would instruct the student to talk to the teacher about it one on one first. if the teacher blows him off then go to the principal. too often in life not following a chain of command only makes matters worse. sure if he goes to the principal, that may get the nicknaming stopped, but remember, you just got the teacher in trouble so now is there a chance that teacher now takes it out on the kid some other way? unfair grading, making an example of him in class discussions, etc. now if after his one on one discussion it continues, then by all means he should go up the ladder.
          Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

I'd call the Principal...........
            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(billiken_roy @ Sep 29 2005, 08:03 AM) Quoted post

i would instruct the student to talk to the teacher about it one on one first. if the teacher blows him off then go to the principal. too often in life not following a chain of command only makes matters worse. sure if he goes to the principal, that may get the nicknaming stopped, but remember, you just got the teacher in trouble so now is there a chance that teacher now takes it out on the kid some other way? unfair grading, making an example of him in class discussions, etc. now if after his one on one discussion it continues, then by all means he should go up the ladder.
              [/b][/quote]

No way do you force the kid to take the first step. Reprisal against the student is a real possibility either way. This should be taken straight to the top by parents immediately. That way, no individual student can be singled out by the teacher for retaliation. And if the teacher does anything in retaliation against any or all of the students whose parents went to the principal, his ass is done, and the school is facing a law suit. Chain of command is inapplicable in an educational setting involving minors. You go nuclear immediately, particularly given the context.

Moon

Comment

Baseball bat to the skull works good
                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Is calling a white person a cracka the same as calling a black person a nigga? If so, this guy needs to be fired and this shit should be the top story on every newscast in town.
                  Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 29 2005, 09:09 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

No way do you force the kid to take the first step. Reprisal against the student is a real possibility either way. This should be taken straight to the top by parents immediately. That way, no individual student can be singled out by the teacher for retaliation. And if the teacher does anything in retaliation against any or all of the students whose parents went to the principal, his ass is done, and the school is facing a law suit. Chain of command is inapplicable in an educational setting involving minors. You go nuclear immediately, particularly given the context.

Moon
                    [/b][/quote]

Absolutely ++
                    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

As much information MUST be attained by the parents (from the students) before proceeding. As we all know, teenagers are a curious lot and are not immune to lying or completely blowing situations out of proportion, especially if the teacher in question (regardless of race) is someone they've decided they do not like. It is essential that your sister and the other parents first do their homework regarding this matter. It is too easy to jump to conclusions, storm the castle (so to speak), and demand the offender's head. With a little digging and properly asked inquiries, the truth will surface and appropriate actions can be determined.

If the facts as your nephew and others have described are indeed true, the teacher should be dismissed on the spot. Not reprimanded, dismissed. Furthermore, his teaching file should also be noted to reflect his divisive indiscretions.
                      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Moon
                        [/b][/quote]

+++++++

A freshman in high school is usually scared shitless by authorities anyway. He is too young to take on this responsibility. Parents need to go forward in this case. Sorry BRoy, too young for that.
                        RIP Stan the Man
                        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                        I miss TLR!

Comment

my guess is that the teacher is doing it in jest and has no idea anyone is offended by it. If it were me (teacher) i would rather hear from a kid that i have offended him/her. I would apologise and never do it again. I begin every year by telling the students and parents that i like to kid around a bit, i think it lightens the mood and make education more possible. I also tell them that if they are offended by any of it to tell me and i will stop, i don't want to worsen the mood. If the kid feels too intimidated to talk to the teacher (not confront him, that would create the wrong attitude) then the parents need to bring it up or tell the kid to deal with it. I know that sounds cold but he needs to advocate for himself a bit. If this is happening across the board then the parents can talk to the school, but i know that as a teacher i would rather hear from the person involved than from the school.

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 29 2005, 09:14 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Moon
                            [/b][/quote]

+++++++

A freshman in high school is usually scared shitless by authorities anyway. He is too young to take on this responsibility. Parents need to go forward in this case. Sorry BRoy, too young for that.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            As a teacher i could not disagree with you more here. Unless the teacher is a bully the kid needs to try to address this himself, that is part of growing up. I know racial terms are sensitive but i still think he is most likely joking and will stop when he realises that he is creating an uncomfortable situation, at least that is what i have done in the past with my students. Won't go into details but did have a similar situation with an overweight kid. I was making fun of my self and he took offense saying it seemed that i was making fun of all fat people. when we cleared this out all was fine, but had he not steped forward it could have gotten worse fast

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(jhanke @ Sep 29 2005, 09:32 AM) Quoted post

my guess is that the teacher is doing it in jest and has no idea anyone is offended by it. If it were me (teacher) i would rather hear from a kid that i have offended him/her. I would apologise and never do it again. I begin every year by telling the students and parents that i like to kid around a bit, i think it lightens the mood and make education more possible. I also tell them that if they are offended by any of it to tell me and i will stop, i don't want to worsen the mood. If the kid feels too intimidated to talk to the teacher (not confront him, that would create the wrong attitude) then the parents need to bring it up or tell the kid to deal with it. I know that sounds cold but he needs to advocate for himself a bit. If this is happening across the board then the parents can talk to the school, but i know that as a teacher i would rather hear from the person involved than from the school.
                              [/b][/quote]

Spoken like a true guilty teacher!
                              j/k JH [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Question. Do you take off points for poor spelling? Just asking. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                              RIP Stan the Man
                              The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                              I miss TLR!

Comment

Working...
                              X