Cardinal Starters and their Run Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinal Starters and their Run Support

Run support is something of an issue as it relates to the Cy Young race. Its also sheds light on a pitcher's Won-Lost record. For the purposes of this study, I am only looking at the runs scored while the starter was the pitcher of record. (If the Cards score 11 runs in a given game, but score them all after Carpenter is no longer the pitcher of record, it doesn't really do him any good, does it?)

So, through the first 158, here's how they have done?

No starter does real well on less than 2 support runs. It's happened to Carpenter 5 times (he's 0-2). It's happened to Mulder 6 times (1-5). Suppan's had it happen to him 8 times (0-8). Marquis has had 11 starts where he's been given 0 or 1 run. He's 0-8. Morris is 0-5 in 6 starts with almost no support.

Where the pitchers start to separate themselves is when they have 2 or 3 runs to work with. This is still not a lot of support, but enough for the best pitchers to turn to their advantage.

Carpenter has gotten 2 or 3 runs to work with 7 times. He's 5-1 with a 1.33 ERA and a .195 average against.

Mulder's numbers in 10 such games: 4-1, 2.69, .258. His bullpen has also blown 4 would-have-been wins in these games.

Suppan in 7 of these games is the big surprise of the lot. He's 4-1, 1.14 .216 and one other lead blown by the pen.

Marquis? Six games at 2 or 3 runs, 2-4, 4.42, .280.

And Morris? Five games, 0-2, 3.56, .254. He's left two of these games with leads that were later blown by the bullpen.

With at least 4 runs of support, the records are: Carpenter 16-2, Mulder 11-2, Morris 14-3, Suppan 12-1 and Marquis 11-2. If we get 4 runs while our starters are still in there, we should do OK.
    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Mulder's numbers look pretty good when you take the above into account.

Cant wait to see what he brings in October.

Comment

QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Sep 28 2005, 08:28 PM) Quoted post

Mulder's numbers look pretty good when you take the above into account.

Cant wait to see what he brings in October.
      [/b][/quote]
      You and me both...I'm starting to think we might hafta lean on him more than Carpenter right now, seeing how he's been pitching lately....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I haven't watched Carpenter's last couple of starts closely, but it seems like every time I did glance up at the screen, he was hanging some 82 MPH pitch at the letters, resulting in a rope in the other direction.

Is it just me?

Comment

Working...
        X