Why is gaoline $2.99?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is gaoline $2.99?

Those jackoffs will use every excuse in the book to gouge people.

Sometimes it pisses me off to the point of nearly wanting to see a federal takeover of oil. But then I come to my senses.
    Make America Great For Once.

QUOTE(The Kev @ Sep 28 2005, 06:26 PM) Quoted post

Those jackoffs will use every excuse in the book to gouge people.

Sometimes it pisses me off to the point of nearly wanting to see a federal takeover of oil. But then I come to my senses.
    [/b][/quote]

I'll take $2.99 over no gas any day. But I agree, $2.99 sucks.
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Hey, gotta keep those record profits going.

Comment

QUOTE(210 @ Sep 28 2005, 08:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

++

They keep blaming a lack of oil, mother nature, the Iraq war, no new refineries since when.......

But they are making record profits?!
        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Refinery capacity (and availability, after the hurricanes) is certainly contributing to high gas prices...

BUT...why does the demand for oil continue to be high enough to keep the per barrel price at $65? Are they continuing to buy, stockpiling it, and waiting to refine it? And wouldn't that be dumb knowing that once demand drops, so will the price?

BTW...the per barrel price of jet fuel was $112 today...that's an 80%+ increase over last year...

Air fares are probably going to skyrocket...
          " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 28 2005, 08:49 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

++

They keep blaming a lack of oil, mother nature, the Iraq war, no new refineries since when.......

[/b][/quote]

Are you equally outraged at the lumber, steel, and other buiding supplies price gouging?
            Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Conoco Phillips just shut their refinery in Wood River for maintenance.

That's likely what spiked it here today.
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(BurnKU @ Sep 28 2005, 09:24 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

++

[/b][/quote]

Are you equally outraged at the lumber, steel, and other buiding supplies price gouging?
                [/b][/quote]

If they are gouging yes, whats so bad about Oil is they give all these reasons that it is so high, but they leave out that they are just pocketing more money.
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 28 2005, 09:34 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(BurnKU @ Sep 28 2005, 09:24 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

++

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

If they are gouging yes, whats so bad about Oil is they give all these reasons that it is so high, but they leave out that they are just pocketing more money.
                  [/b][/quote]

What is your definition of gouging? Making a great profit than you feel is acceptable? Who gets to determine how much another can make? Lumber is no different that gas. There isn't a big difference in the cost of extracting the natural resource when the market price is high, or low.

Comment

Not enough refining...

NOLA being taken out..and refineries in TX.

Oil companies havent spent the $$ to set up new refinery capabilities..

Comment

QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Sep 28 2005, 09:45 PM) Quoted post

Not enough refining...

[/b][/quote]

There is a lot more blame to go around than just the oil companies when it comes to refining capacity.

Comment

QUOTE(BurnKU @ Sep 28 2005, 08:46 PM) Quoted post

Not enough refining...

[/b][/quote]

There is a lot more blame to go around than just the oil companies when it comes to refining capacity.
                        [/b][/quote]

Agree..but, in terms of blame..it starts with them, but there is plenty to go around.

The massive industrialisation of China and India also must shoulder some of the blame.

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Sep 28 2005, 09:25 PM) Quoted post

Conoco Phillips just shut their refinery in Wood River for maintenance.

That's likely what spiked it here today.
                          [/b][/quote]

JD is correct about the closing. From the local fish wrap:

ROXANA -- ConocoPhillips plans a 45-day shutdown of part of its Roxana refinery, starting Thursday, despite urgings by a U.S. senator to delay the process to aid the hurricane-hampered oil industry.

U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., sent a letter this week to the chief executive officer of the company, warning that the refiner’s plans might negatively affect fuel supply and prices.

The company, however, said the plans are too far along to push back the maintenance.

"We share the same concern, that there should be a reliable supply of gasoline. But so is the safety of employees (a concern)," said Melissa Erker, spokeswoman for the Roxana refinery.

The company initially planned to implement the shutdown on Sept. 15 but delayed the action by two weeks after the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina on Aug. 29. Then, Hurricane Rita struck on Sept. 24, but by that point, the planning was too far along to consider a second delay, Erker said.

"We have very specialized contractors who are called in from around the country (on these shutdowns). We are afraid if we let them go, we don’t know when we’ll get them back," she said.

Obama said his letter was prompted by an article in The Telegraph on Sept. 2 in which the shutdown was outlined in brief. At the time, the company was extremely reluctant to comment about its plans. However, company officials grew more talkative after receiving the Obama letter this week.

The Roxana refinery is known as a multi-stream operation, meaning that it produces a variety of fuels, among them gasoline for cars and diesel and jet fuel. That allows the company to shut down parts of the refinery without having to shut down the entire plant.

Only two of the complex’s 20 units actually will be shut down, Erker said. One is a hydrocracker, which breaks down hydrogen molecules in oil during the conversion process. The other is a saturated gas unit, which handles refining byproducts, and a steam methane reformer, which produces hydrogen for use in the hydrocracker.

The shutdowns will not prevent some production from continuing.

"What a lot of people don’t realize is that 80 percent of our normal supply of gasoline will still be produced," Erker said. "And 100 percent of diesel and jet fuel will still be produced."

Obama’s letter was sent to Conoco executive James Mulva.

"This shutdown could exacerbate the problems with reduced refining capacity caused by recent Hurricanes Katrina and Rita," Obama wrote. "Although initial indications are that Hurricane Rita did not cause significant additional damage to Gulf Coast refineries, many refineries were shut down prior to the hurricane, and it is expected to take one to two weeks before these plants can begin processing again."

The Roxana refinery is the 10th-largest in the country and processes 306,000 barrels of crude oil per day, sending refined gasoline all over the Midwest. Obama said shutting down the refinery when U.S. refining capacity is diminished could increase already-high gasoline and diesel fuel prices.

"In light of the uncertain situation in the Gulf Coast, I urge ConocoPhillips to consider delaying the shutdown of this refinery, unless the shutdown is absolutely necessary for safety reasons," Obama wrote.

On Monday, President Bush urged refiners to postpone scheduled maintenance for four to six weeks, Obama noted.

But Erker said maintenance of units is planned far in advance on a schedule that pays close attention to the period between shutdowns.

The hydrocracker, for instance, has operated "beyond its longest run" without being shut down, she said.

Erker said the company had received the Obama letter and was formulating a response.

SOURCE

Mr. G

Comment

Not enough refining...

[/b][/quote]

They largely haven't been allowed to do so.

But, they certainly haven't put up much of a fight.
                            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Sep 28 2005, 09:51 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(BurnKU @ Sep 28 2005, 08:46 PM) Quoted post

Not enough refining...

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Agree..but, in terms of blame..it starts with them, but there is plenty to go around.

The massive industrialisation of China and India also must shoulder some of the blame.
                              [/b][/quote]

While the emergence of Asian, and other world markets has certainly increased the pressure on gas/oil prices, there are also unseen benefits to the American economy. But since they are unseen, nobody talks about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X