• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Afflek for Senate?

fyi

Ben Affleck's Next Role: Senator?

Sept. 28, 2005

(CBS/AP) For Ben Affleck, the closest role he's had to senator so far was his part as CIA agent Jack Ryan in Tom Clancy's spy thriller "The Sum of all Fears."

But the Washington Post reports some want Affleck to say goodbye to the Hollywood Hills and hello to Capital Hill as the Democratic senator from Virginia.

Post columnist Amy Argetsinger says Virginia Democrats are desperately seeking a big name to take on rising Republican star Sen. George Allen next year.

"They need someone who is smart and photogenic and has a lot of his own money to subsidize a campaign. It just so happens that Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner have been looking for real estate in Charlottesville," Argetsinger tells CBS affiliate WUSA.

University of Virginia professor Larry Sabato tells the Post the Affleck speculation is "spread pretty widely, at least in the political underground."

Democratic Gov. Mark Warner, who at one point had been mentioned as a potential Senate candidate but is now seen as a possible 2008 presidential contender, says he welcomes the Afflecks as new residents, but won't say much more.

"If he moves to Virginia and wants to get involved politically, he has a major name but that's not somebody I think there's an active recruitment going on with," says Warner.

Affleck has never held public office but was prominent at last year's Democratic National Convention. And he certainly wouldn't be the first actor to turn to politics. President Reagan and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger have both made that same career move.

Affleck's spokesman Ken Sunshine says there's no truth to the rumors, but says Affleck "would be a superb candidate for public office in the future. Right now, he's very busy directing his first feature movie for Disney, 'Gone, Baby, Gone.'" [/b][/quote]

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/28/...ain887447.shtml
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

He's a retard.

He will fit right in on the left.....after all, Hollywood is representative of middle America.

Joking. Independant here.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

They needed someone smart and photogenic.......and he`s almost half of those.

Of course,since Ahnold is running Cali,this makes some karmic sense.

I can`t wait for Scott Bakula to go after Talent.
      "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

This is more funny than his recent acting roles.

Comment

jennifer garner was on Leno last night. has she always been kinda childish annoying or did she just get stupid with him around?

Comment

Rich and useless.

I would have guessed him to be a Republican.
            Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I saw his wife, the very pretty Jennifer Garner, last night on the Tonight Show...Leno gave her a "Bo Sux" quiz..she passed with flying colours. She's quite pretty and seems to be much more down to earth than J-Lo. I think Ben did well 86'ing J-Lo and puttin' the seed into Jennifer.

I actually like Affleck...and he likes to gamble and drink. He cant be all bad.

Comment

QUOTE(cardsdynasty @ Sep 28 2005, 05:41 PM) Quoted post

This is more funny than his recent acting roles.
                [/b][/quote]
                where did you get your avitar?

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

What a deficiency of leadership in this country if Ben Affleck is the answer.

I don't even want to know what the question is.
                  The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

I heard Afflect on MSNBC one time around the 2004 elections. I remember thinking that he came across as pretty intelligent and articulate and like he follows politics at least fairly closely.

In his movies, he doesnt seem like he is all that smart, but maybe thats just the roles he plays. Sort of like his role in Good Will Hunting
                    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

QUOTE(Razzy @ Sep 28 2005, 07:58 PM) Quoted post

I heard Afflect on MSNBC one time around the 2004 elections. I remember thinking that he came across as pretty intelligent and articulate and like he follows politics at least fairly closely.

In his movies, he doesnt seem like he is all that smart, but maybe thats just the roles he plays. Sort of like his role in Good Will Hunting
                      [/b][/quote]

Did he attend Ha-vhad? I know Damon did...

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Sep 28 2005, 08:56 PM) Quoted post

What a deficiency of leadership in this country if Ben Affleck is the answer.

I don't even want to know what the question is.
                        [/b][/quote]

You mean like how Schwartzeneger has been the answer for California?
                        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Why do you assume that if I'm against one celebrity actor from the left that I would be for a celebrity actor on the right?

You really aren't very bright, Razzy. From a December 2003 issue of The New Yorker, which if anybody is interested in, you can look up:

After this was published, I received several letters from Nevada Democratic Leadership asking me if I was interested in running for state office.

I'm not kidding.

-------- Original Message --------
                          Subject: Re: 4m Californians can be wrong
                          Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:40:03 -0500
                          To: Ben

Thank you for your recent letter to the editor. It is among those we are
                          considering for publication. We'd like to confirm that you wrote it, and that
                          the preliminary edited copy below looks acceptable. We think we've preserved
                          your most salient point, while taking into account our limited space. Please let
                          me know what you think as soon as possible, either by E-mail or by calling
                          212-286-5450. If your letter is one of our final selections, it will appear in
                          the next issue. Quotation marks sometimes appear as question marks in the text.
                          Thanks again.
                          Sincerely yours,
                          Brenda Phipps
                          The New Yorker

Edited text:
                          Hertzberg calls the California recall an exercise in American democracy, and
                          perhaps it was, but, if so, it was clearly a workout in direct democracy, and
                          that's not what we have (The Talk of the Town, Date TK). Our country was founded
                          as a republic, or a representative democracy. Originally, to take one example,
                          the election of the Senate was left up to the state legislatures, not the people
                          directly. Only recently has this country seen a tilt toward a more direct, and
                          incongruent, democracy, against the spirit, if no longer against the letter, of
                          the Constitution. The Founding Fathers
                          never viewed overwhelming, unmediated popularity as a good judge of anything,
                          and Arnold Schwarzenegger's ability to run and win on a no-issue,
                          entitlement-riddled "I'm a celebrity" platform suggests that they were right.
                          Ben
                          Las Vegas, Nev.

[/b][/quote]
                          The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Sep 28 2005, 08:59 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Razzy @ Sep 28 2005, 07:58 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Did he attend Ha-vhad? I know Damon did...
                            [/b][/quote]

Wang,

According to his bio, Affleck didnt get into Harvard, despite a "high B average" in high school. Damon went for awhile and then quit to join Affleck in LA. Interesting to read about those guys. Damon is one of my favorite actors

Comment

QUOTE(Razzy @ Sep 28 2005, 08:58 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I saw him O'Reiley around the same time. Although I disagree with him, I thought he was well spoken and he was the kind of person I can respect, although I have differences with him. Now part of it was probably because he was on with O'Reiley, who wouldn't give him an open mic like he could on some outlets. I've also heard him say some pretty dumb stuff. If I'm going to listen to someone from Hollywood, I much rather hear him, than someone like Babs or Sean Penn.
                              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Working...
                              X