GDT: Asstros-Birds, 7:10 CDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Asstros-Birds, 7:10 CDT

Do I really need to jump in here to kickstart us to a win? I'd like to see 100 wins, so we should take this one. Keep in mind that my perfect record is on the line here, kids...

Carpenter seeks foundation in finale
    Houston (86-71) at St. Louis (97-61), 7:10 p.m. CT
    By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

Wednesday brings the last game between the Cardinals and Astros in 2005. Or, more accurately, the last regular-season game between the two National League Central rivals.
    With the Astros very much in the hunt for the NL Wild Card, and the Cardinals already in the postseason, there's a chance they could meet in the NL Championship Series for a second straight season. Last year's NLCS was an absolute classic, and the regular-season meetings between St. Louis and Houston have been typically compelling this year.

Chris Carpenter will make his fourth and final try at win No. 22 on the season when he takes the mound for the Cards. Carpenter has scuffled lately but is still very much in the hunt for the NL Cy Young Award. A win would tie him with Dontrelle Willis for the big-league lead, though Carpenter could also help his case by dropping his ERA a couple of ticks.

Carpenter's main concern, however, is getting ready for the postseason. If he comes through the game healthy and sharp and ready to pitch Game 1 of the Division Series, it will be enough for him and his teammates.

Pitching matchup
    HOU: RHP Brandon Backe
    • 10-8, 4.59 ERA in 2005
    • 0-1, 10.29 ERA vs. STL in 2005

STL: RHP Chris Carpenter
    • 21-5, 2.71 ERA in 2005
    • 4-0, 0.82 ERA vs. HOU in 2005

Player to watch
    Counting the postseason last year, Albert Pujols has faced Backe 13 times in his career, with four base hits -- a nice, but not spectacular, .308 batting average. However, all four of those hits have been home runs.

Quotable
    "You've got a chance to be part of St. Louis Cardinal history, and with the history that this organization has had, I don't think that's something that you nonchalantly say, 'What's the big deal?' But I don't think it's ever great to chase numbers. Numbers happen. So we go about it right, and I hope we can [get to 100], because it would be special. But you've got to be really careful not to chase numbers. That doesn't work." -- manager Tony La Russa, on the possibility of winning 100 games for the second straight year

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • HOU: FSN Houston
    • STL: FSN Midwest

On radio
    • HOU: KTRH 740, KLAT 1010 (Español)
    • STL: KMOX 1120

Quick hits
    The Cardinals have won five of their last six home series. ... Carpenter has not lost at home since June 8. ... Carpenter has allowed one stolen base in 60 starts as a Cardinal. ... Wednesday's game is the fourth-to-last regular-season contest at the current Busch Stadium.

On deck
    • Friday: vs. Reds, 7:10 p.m. CT
    • Saturday: vs. Reds, 3:15 p.m. CT
    • Sunday: vs. Reds, 1:15 p.m. CT
    • END OF REGULAR SEASON

[/b][/quote]
    Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Carp diem......
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Brave of you to take a Carpenter start THB [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

THB, I'm hesitant to mention this but it may be bad luck to list the ASStro's and Backe first in the title. You can edit that if you want. Just saying. Afterall, you do have a perfect record on the line. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]
        RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 28 2005, 10:10 AM) Quoted post

THB, I'm hesitant to mention this but it may be bad luck to list the ASStro's and Backe first in the title. You can edit that if you want. Just saying. Afterall, you do have a perfect record on the line. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]
          You dork
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Sep 28 2005, 09:21 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            You dork
            [/b][/quote]

Hey, to me that makes a difference. I'm different in that way. It was just a suggestion.
            [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]

You MUST know my daughter. She calls me that all the time. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
            RIP Stan the Man
            I miss TLR!

Comment

If Albert would like to start hitting again, that would be fine with me. He's moving up on the Things I'm Fretting Over list.
              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 28 2005, 09:55 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                You dork
                [/b][/quote]

Hey, to me that makes a difference. I'm different in that way. It was just a suggestion.
                [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img][/b][/quote]
                ++

I never list the opposition first. It's either Cardinals vs ____ or Cardinals @ _____.
                Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

QUOTE(Tazlaz @ Sep 28 2005, 10:11 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  You dork
                  [/b][/quote]

++

I never list the opposition first. It's either Cardinals vs ____ or Cardinals @ _____.
                  [/b][/quote]

Thank you Jewboy, could you tell Ohio I'm not a dork, please? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                  RIP Stan the Man
                  I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 28 2005, 10:12 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Tazlaz @ Sep 28 2005, 10:11 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    You dork
                    [/b][/quote]

++

[/b][/quote]

Thank you Jewboy, could you tell Ohio I'm not a dork, please? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                    [/b][/quote]
                    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 28 2005, 10:08 AM) Quoted post

If Albert would like to start hitting again, that would be fine with me. He's moving up on the Things I'm Fretting Over list.
                      [/b][/quote]
                      Ding a ling!!

Other than one game almost 2 weeks ago, he colder than a polar bear's tit. Don't know if he's pressing, over-anxious, or simply trying to do too much in his quest for that elusive 40th HR, but he needs to get on track.

Offensively we're sputtering a bit right now. Sort of hit and miss...of course good pitching can do that to a team. Not sure if the team is bored, or hitting a lull, but the playoffs begin next Tuesday (less than a week away = 4 games) and we'd best get our ass in gear or it won't matter who we're facing. The last time I checked this is still the big leagues, and we'll get our ass spanked if this Hemi engine is only cranking out 4-cylinder power.

I know it's also easy to say "We'll be ok." Or "They'll be ready come playoff time." And I'm inclined to believe that to be true...I still think we'll win it all.

But I'm reminded of something Michael Jordan (one of sport's all-time great champions) repeatedly echoed during his playing days: "I approach every game, whether it's practice or not, as if it was a championship game. Because I realize the smallest lapse in focus or drive could set a course for failure. And I hate to lose."

Go Cards!
                      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

That game last night bothered me. We had the playoff line-up, with playoff atmosphere (at least for Houston), going against a playoff caliber pitcher, and we could only score a run. Not encouraging.

On the bright side, at least I was right, and kah was wrong, about Walker. He's not done, and will be a factor in the playoffs.
                        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                        --Albert Einstein

Comment

[/b][/quote]

I gotta stick with what works man...

Comment

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Sep 28 2005, 09:31 AM) Quoted post

Brave of you to take a Carpenter start THB [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
                            [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? A month ago, you're right. These days? Who knows...

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 28 2005, 10:55 AM) Quoted post

You MUST know my daughter. [/b][/quote]
                              Bout time you realized it!
                              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Working...
                              X