X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anna Nicole Smith heads to the Supremes to fight for inheritance

Playmate appeals to Supreme Court

Anna Nicole Smith seeks $474 million inheritance

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former Playboy model Anna Nicole Smith is going to the United States' highest court in her fight over the fortune of her 90-year-old late husband.

U.S. Supreme Court justices said Tuesday they would consider Smith's appeal, in which the stripper-turned-reality television star stands to win as much as $474 million that a bankruptcy judge initially said she was entitled to.

Smith has not gotten any money from the estate of J. Howard Marshall II, an oil tycoon who married her in 1994 when he was 89 and she was 26. Marshall, one of Texas' wealthiest men, died in 1995.

At issue for the court is a relatively mundane technical issue: when federal courts may hear claims that are also involved state probate proceedings. But the facts of the case are eye-catching.

The 1993 Playmate of the Year and self-described "blonde bombshell" claims her husband promised her millions but that his scheming son cut her out of the estate.

Her decade-long legal fight with E. Pierce Marshall has been marked by highs and lows.

The initial $474 million award was reduced to about $89 million, then thrown out altogether by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. The appeals court said that a Texas probate court's decision that the oilman's son was his sole heir should stand.

The appellate ruling that federal courts in California never had jurisdiction, erased a lower court finding that Smith was entitled to compensatory and punitive damages because Marshall's son tried to keep her from receiving money from his father's estate.

The Supreme Court filings included only a hint of the nastiness and sleaze from the family fight. The dispute has involved a "a bizarre set of events," justices were told in a filing by G. Eric Brunstad Jr., a Yale Law School professor who represents Marshall's son.

Smith, whose real name is Vickie Lynn Marshall, had received more than $6 million in gifts from her late husband, but was not included in his will, justices were told.

Brunstad said that Smith began her legal fight for her husband's money even before his death.

Smith's attorney, Kent Richland, told justices that Marshall's son "devotes nearly half his brief to manipulating the record to cast (Vickie) in a bad light." Richland said that J. Howard Marshall intended to provide for his wife throughout her life.

"His efforts failed, however, because -- as both lower courts found -- Pierce suppressed or destroyed the trust instrument and stripped Howard of all his assets before his death," Richland wrote.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/27/pl....ap/index.html
    [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Where was this in the John Roberts hearings?
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 27 2005, 07:01 PM) Quoted post

Where was this in the John Roberts hearings?
      [/b][/quote]
      [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img]
      The Redman

Sponsorship Available
      Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

Can you say 'Gold Digging C*nt'?
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 27 2005, 11:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
          Gold Digging Cunt?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Sep 27 2005, 11:18 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 27 2005, 11:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            Gold Digging Cunt?
            [/b][/quote]

I bit hard to vocalize the * huh?
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

And the old man wasn't a sweet young thing digging old bastard?

If his will says she gets it she should, if it doesn't she shouldn't.
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I wish that drugged up bitch's fifteen minutes would end. I can't stand her or her fucking asshole lawyer. He has his head so far up her ass you can see it when she open's her mouth.

Comment

This relationship is best summed up with an ancient Chinese proverb..

"Lao Niu chi neng chao".

The Old Bull chews tender grass...

Comment

I frankly can't imagine a more obvious case. Anna should win, period. Look the guy was 89 fucking years old. He was clearly about to go, and he was a billionaire. Fuck a 26-year-old playmate of the year until you die - that's what goddamn money is FOR. His asshole son got half, but that wasn't good enough. Oh no, he wanted to make sure she got nothing.

I saw a replay of a bit of her testimony. She's on the witness stand, and the son's lawyer says "Isn't it true that you had sex with other men while you were married to my client's father?"

Her answer: "Of course. What did you expect?"

Absolutely goddamned right. The reason the prick lost the case the first time was that he tried to show that his father wasn't of sound mind giving that much money to his fucktoy. Hello, 89 years old! Hello, 40-inch bustline! That guy was one of the most sane men imaginable - and that's why his son had to change tactics. He just wasn't satisfied with inheriting a mere $500 million, he wanted it all. Fuck that ass.

Anna is a whore. But she's a high-priced whore, who made a straightforward and highly lucrative business deal. I admire professionalism whereever I see it.

Comment

I think this thread needs Anna Nicole pictures.

Comment

Working...
                      X