• Jets sign Testeverde

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...mostemailedlink

Vinny returning to Jets

2005 Jets schedule
    Sep 27, 2005

BY JON HEYMAN
    STAFF WRITER

September 27, 2005, 10:58 AM EDT

Vinny Testaverde is returning to the Jets, Newsday has learned. The team is expected to announce the signing of the 41-year-old quarterback this afternoon.

Testaverde, 41, will help fill the void left by injuries to starter Chad Pennington and backup Jay Fiedler. Pennington suffered a torn rotator cuff in Sunday's game against Jacksonville and is out for the season. Fiedler also suffered a severe shoulder injury and a source told Newsday he's finished for the year.

It was not immediately known whether Testaverde will back up former third-stringer Brooks Bollinger on Sunday at Baltimore. As for Fiedler, any slim hope that he could play again this season could be outweighed by the need to clear a roster spot for a healthy arm.

Testaverde played six seasons with the Jets from 1998-2003, leading them to the AFC Championship game in 1998. He spent last season with Dallas, passing for 3,532 yards and 17 touchdowns with 20 interceptions.

The Brooklyn native and Sewanhaka graduate was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1987 NFL Draft. He played six seasons with Tampa Bay and five with the Cleveland/Baltimore franchise before joining the Bill Parcells' Jets in 1998.

Testaverde enjoyed his best season that year, throwing for 3,256 yards and an AFC-best 29 touchdowns and 101.6 passer rating. He led the Jets to their first playoff appearance since 1991 and their first playoff victory (a 34-24 win over Jacksonville) since 1986. The Jets lost to Denver in the AFC title game.

Staff writer Ken Berger contributed to this story.

VINNY!!!!
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

So will the Jets win 5 games this year?

Bollinger and Testaverde. Eek.

Comment

Hahahaha. I guess Qunicy wasn't available. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Great. Now I have to go through another year of my co-worker's Testicle-verde jokes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

They'd be better off bringing Namath back.

Or Browning Nagle.
              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Vinny will do OK there.

May not be a playmaker anymore, but he isn't a play breaker either.
                Seasoned veteran, with poise.
                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Damn, there were rumors that they were going to try and trade for Volek. I think that guy is good and I have him waiting in the wings on my fantasy team [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The Jets should cough up whatever it takes to get Patrick Ramsey.
                    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

QUOTE(ItsOnlyTheRiver @ Sep 27 2005, 02:43 PM) Quoted post

Damn, there were rumors that they were going to try and trade for Volek. I think that guy is good and I have him waiting in the wings on my fantasy team [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                      [/b][/quote]

And since the Jets' OC was in Tennessee last year, he knows the system.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor:
                      Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                      The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                      Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

To take a page out of dev's book: Interceptaverde!

Comment

My guess is that they brought Vinny back so they could get the AARP discount at hotels for away games.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor:
                          The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

I think Pennington's career as an NFL QB is over.
                            Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Sep 27 2005, 02:25 PM) Quoted post

The Jets should cough up whatever it takes to get Patrick Ramsey.
                              [/b][/quote]

So should the Rams.
                              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Working...
                              X