Sports: Fossett Beats Round the World Sailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports: Fossett Beats Round the World Sailing

Steve Fossett set the record for sailing around the world Monday, nearly six days faster than the previous mark. Fossett and his crew of 12 crossed the finish line near France's Brittany coast aboard the 125-foot catamaran in 58 days, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 45 seconds.

Doesn't that seem like a long time? They went roughly 372 miles a day. That's about 15 mph.

I don't know the difference between a nautical mile and normal mile, though.

This guy and Richard Branson 'belong' together.

What a bloody waste of time.

Comment

a nautical mile is based on the length of one minute around an arc. the best way I have to describe it is something like this:

If you were to cut the Earth in half, you'd have two halves. Further, you could cut a circle into 360 degrees. You could then divide a degree into 60 minutes. A minute of arc, then, is the equivalent to 1 nautical mile.

15 knots is actually really good speed. I'd argue that a 125 foot boat is not really sailing, but hey, I'm just a 25 foot sailor, so who knows? At some point, it becomes more electronic than me at the sails, however, and 125 seems past that point.

If you've never sailed, I have to say it's my favorite thing to do. San Diego is the best place to learn, imo, and if a Lounger is ever going there, write me up and I'll tell you where you can go.
      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Apr 5 2004, 04:17 PM
        If you've never sailed, I have to say it's my favorite thing to do. San Diego is the best place to learn, imo, and if a Lounger is ever going there, write me up and I'll tell you where you can go.
        Thanks for the explanation. So you cannot compare nautical to regular, right? They measure different things?

Never been sailing.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote+Apr 5 2004, 04:18 PM-->
          QUOTE (pgrote @ Apr 5 2004, 04:18 PM)

Just a hair less than MPH. Think of it that way.

And, it's actually closer to that because it doesn't track ACTUAL horizontal 'movement' per se based on the 'water you're travelling through.

It's sort of a 'pseudo-speed' i.e. what your 'supposed' to be travelling at.

Comment

Sorry, I'm sure no one else is interested, but this is one of my favorite topics and there's something Fosset said that I needed to address.

"This is simply the most important record in sailing and why Cheyenne was built," Fossett, the Chicago securities trader, added. "Despite all the world and race records set since 1993, my career in sailing would not be complete without this."
            MY career? The most important record in sailing? ARE YOU $#@$ NUTS?! The America's Cup is the most important thing in sailing, for one thing. And for another, for individual sailors, it's more about being out on the water, and traveling by the only means in this world where you can feel completely alone with nature. I would assume people who climb things like Everest feel the same way, but you don't have to risk your life to get the same high at sailing.

Even if you're with other people, it's an "individual" team experience. Races are fun in the sense of what you accomplish together, as I can't think of a team sport that relies so much on each individual. It's what makes sailing so fun. I cherish the challenge of sailing just as much as the destination or if it's a race, who wins the race.

I'm sure there were challenges on that 125 footer(although probably not as many as you'd think, considering how computers now play such an important role), but the idea that "MY" achievement is the most important "record" in sailing is hubris of the worst order and hugely ignorant of how most sailors feel.

Done. Sorry.
            The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Congrats, Fossett. Now please go away.

And thanks, Reb, for the explanation.
              But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

• Working...
                X