• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haren signs four year deal with OAK

Haren agrees to terms on four-year contract
    09/26/2005 7:12 PM ET
    MLB.com

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland A's today announced that they have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Dan Haren on a four-year contract through the 2009 season with a club option for 2010.

Haren is 13-12 with a 3.81 ERA in 33 starts with the A's this year. He is tied for second in the American League in games started, tied for fourth in complete games (3), ranks sixth in strikeouts (157) and is eighth in innings pitched (210.0). The 25-year old right-hander started slowly this year as he was 1-7 with a 4.87 ERA over his first 10 starts through May 26. Since then, he has gone 12-5 with a 3.40 ERA over his last 23 starts, including a career high and A's season-best nine-game winning streak from May 31 to August 7. The winning streak included five no decisions, all A's wins, and his 14 consecutive starts in an Oakland victory tied the club record set by Chuck Dobson in 1971.

The A's acquired Haren on December 18, 2004 from St. Louis along with Kiko Calero and Daric Barton in exchange for Mark Mulder. He made his Major League debut with the Cardinals in 2003, going 3-7 with a 5.08 ERA in 14 starts. Haren went 3-3 with a 4.50 ERA in 14 games, five starts, for St. Louis last year and has a career record of 19-22 with a 4.19 ERA in 61 games, 52 starts.

The A's now have eight players under contract beyond the 2005 season, not including Scott Hatteberg (club option for 2006) and Keiichi Yabu (club option 2006). In addition to Haren, the other seven players and the years they are signed through are: Eric Chavez (2010, club option 2011), Bobby Crosby (2009), Keith Ginter (2006), Rich Harden (2008, club option 2009), Jason Kendall (2007), Mark Kotsay (2008) and Barry Zito (2006).

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Great move by Prof. "Moneyball."

Haren will only get better.

Comment

Beane schooled Sir Walter on that one.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Sep 26 2005, 09:51 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Over time, you're probably right.

As much as I'd love to still have those three, Mulder was much needed.

Who knows though, in the NL, if given a starting job, Haren may have been good enough to make missing Mulder a moot question. Kiko was missed in the bullpen this year.

Comment

[/b][/quote]
          I"ll hold my opinion on this (as I have all season) till October....

Comment

If I see him out on the golf course next Monday, I'll be sure to congratulate him...
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Sep 26 2005, 10:58 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Who knows though, in the NL, if given a starting job, Haren may have been good enough to make missing Mulder a moot question. Kiko was missed in the bullpen this year.
              [/b][/quote]
              Valid points all - I would argue that Reyes was a more than adequate replacement for Kiko.

Comment

QUOTE(g45 @ Sep 26 2005, 10:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                Valid points all - I would argue that Reyes was a more than adequate replacement for Kiko.
                [/b][/quote]

well, yeah.

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Sep 26 2005, 11:35 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(g45 @ Sep 26 2005, 10:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                  [/b][/quote]

well, yeah.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Wellll - maybe Kiko wasn't really missed.

Otherwise I agree with you, and look forward to how Barten does.

Comment

From yahoo....

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Dan Haren and the Oakland Athletics agreed to a $12.65 million, four-year contract Monday that will keep the right-hander locked up through his salary arbitration years.

Haren, acquired in the offseason from St. Louis in a trade for left-hander Mark Mulder, will be under contract through the 2009 season with a club option for 2010.

From the start of spring training, Haren focused on doing his job without thinking too much about the pitcher he would be replacing: Mulder. Now, his new deal is structured in similar fashion to what Mulder had while in Oakland.

``It's kind of weird,'' Haren said. ``During the whole negotiations, he was the only person I could compare myself to. I've been hearing Mulder. I could tell you Mulder's stats. I know everything about Mulder. ... To tell you the truth, it's hard to replace a guy like that with all the success Mulder had.''

Haren gets a $200,000 signing bonus, $500,000 next year, $2.2 million in 2007, $4 million in 2008 and $5.5 million in 2009. There is a $6.75 million team option for 2010 with a $250,000 buyout.

In addition, escalators can raise his 2009 salary by $750,000 and his 2010 pay by $1 million.[/b][/quote]

Comment

Good for Danny Haren. As for the trade, I'll wait until AFTER the 4 players in the deal have stopped playing for their respective teams before deciding who got the better end of it. Right now, the book is still out.
                      *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 26 2005, 10:02 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        [/b][/quote]

About 12,000 Cardinal fans, including myself, saw Mulder stink up Miller Park this past Sunday. Like you, I'll wait till the playoffs to decide on the wisdom of this trade. But if there was ever a reason to doubt the soundness of Mulder's ability to pitch--under any circumstances--that was it.

Jebus does he ever need a giant kick to the nutsack.
                        Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 27 2005, 04:10 AM) Quoted post

Good for Danny Haren. As for the trade, I'll wait until AFTER the 4 players in the deal have stopped playing for their respective teams before deciding who got the better end of it. Right now, the book is still out.
                          [/b][/quote]

You can judge the results of a trade that way, but I think it's more fair to grade the GM's at the time of the deal, than it is to use hindsight.

Comment

QUOTE(justwundrin @ Sep 27 2005, 06:49 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 26 2005, 10:02 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

About 12,000 Cardinal fans, including myself, saw Mulder stink up Miller Park this past Sunday. Like you, I'll wait till the playoffs to decide on the wisdom of this trade. But if there was ever a reason to doubt the soundness of Mulder's ability to pitch--under any circumstances--that was it.

Jebus does he ever need a giant kick to the nutsack.
                            [/b][/quote]

Yeah, 'cause in his previous six starts, totaling 48 innings (avg. of 8 innings/start), he gave up a total of seven earned runs.

Moon

Comment

[/b][/quote]

But we got that lefty starter!!!!!one111

Comment

Working...
                              X