Shocked to find two weeks ago, a kid I knew in HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocked to find two weeks ago, a kid I knew in HS

A pitcher by the name of Josh Johnson got called up to the Majors in September.

I talked to him a couple times and knew about him because he was drafted in the 3rd round 3 years ago by the Florida Marlins. I've somewhat been keeping up with him, checking a few times during the baseball season the past few years to see what his stats were. I'm pretty sure he was called up to AA either last year or the middle of 2003.

Anyway, the last time I checked in about July(?) he was having a pretty good (not great) year in AA for the Marlins. So, about two weeks ago, I check the AA team page, but I don't find his name there. I'm thinking that he got called up to AAA, which kinda surprised me because he wasn't having a spectacular year or anything. I check the AAA team page, but what do ya know...he's not there either. I didn't think there was a chance that they would have already called him up, but it's not like it hurts the Marlins since it's a September call-up. So, I check the Marlins team page and there he is. I have MLB.tv, so I went and checked out his first major league appearance, which was on September 10th against the Phillies. He's 6-7, 240 pounds, and only 21 years old. Crazy, huh?

I spent a few days for fun up with the baseball team just playing in BP and throwing catch and what not. I never got to see him pitch, but he was pretty much the best hitter on the team too. He absolutely crushed the ball in BP.

Just seems weird someone I knew in High School a few years ago is pitching in the majors.

ESPN player page
    In Construction

(the move messed it up)

First home run I hit was off Brian Boehringer....but he was the one with the long MLB career.
    "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

QUOTE(blue zone @ Sep 26 2005, 06:43 PM) Quoted post

First home run I hit was off Brian Boehringer....but he was the one with the long MLB career.
      [/b][/quote]
      [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I got beat out of the 2nd base position in high school at Vianney by a kid named Neil Fiala. He went on to play in the majors for a short time with the Cardinals and Reds. I was "that" close to making the majors. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
        RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 26 2005, 06:51 PM) Quoted post

I got beat out of the 2nd base position in high school at Vianney by a kid named Neil Fiala. He went on to play in the majors for a short time with the Cardinals and Reds. I was "that" close to making the majors. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]
          Still time to make the cut:

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Britt Reames sat behind me in 11th grade Spanish class.

Dumber than a fence post.
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 26 2005, 06:55 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              Strangely enough, so was Larry Hughes in one of my undergrad classes @ SLU [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                I bet he didn't have any opportunities to answer any questions with you in front of him... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

I played against Scott Cooper in little league and American Legion. He was a good player but not the best on the field. Obviously he was able to kick it up a notch or two.
                  "You're my wife Margene, you can't be seeing the girl I'm dating." - Big Love

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Sep 26 2005, 04:57 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    I bet he didn't have any opportunities to answer any questions with you in front of him... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                    [/b][/quote]

And he probably liked it that way, being, as I said above, dumber than a sack of hammers.

What happened to him, anyway? Got traded to the Expos and fell off the face of the earth. Then again, that's true of a lot of people who played for the Montreal Expos.
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I once hit a home run during a wiffle ball game off a kid wearing a Nolan Ryan t-shirt.
                      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 26 2005, 07:10 PM) Quoted post

I once hit a home run during a wiffle ball game off a kid wearing a Nolan Ryan t-shirt.
                        [/b][/quote]

YOU rawk!11!!!
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 26 2005, 07:10 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 26 2005, 07:10 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

YOU rawk!11!!!
                          [/b][/quote]

I swore I heard someone yelling "GO CRAZY!" after I hit it.
                          RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                          You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

I graduated with Scott Cooper.

That used to be a cool thing to say. Then he came to the Cardinals.
                            Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

I am shocked nobody has asked where you went to high school

A guy I went to HS with (Hickman) is working his way up through the Nationwide Tour (a minor league so to say of the PGA). Jason Schultz is his name

http://www.pgatour.com/players/intro/149636
                              Sponsor of:
                              Brian Elliott
                              Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                              5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Working...
                              X