Rookie Barron leaves Titans a calling card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Barron leaves Titans a calling card

I've seen this quoted in a few posts, but hadn't seen a link to the article.

As Alex Barron's official sponsor, I think this column is subtle and understated.

Bernie!

By Bernie Miklasz
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    09/25/2005

Shoved into the huddle to make his NFL debut, called upon to save quarterback Marc Bulger's hide, rookie offensive tackle Alex Barron had no choice but to keep it simple.

Big Smooth wasn't going to sweat the technique. Barron possessed no detailed scouting reports on his opponents, and was still operating without a clue. After all, the Rams' No. 1 draft choice spent his first two NFL Sundays wearing street clothes, not quite ready to play, not quite sure of where he was, or how he got there. This football version of the TV series "Lost" happens to a lot of overwhelmed NFL rookies.

But late in the third quarter of the Rams' 31-27 win over Tennessee, Barron got his initiation. Moments after hopelessly overmatched right tackle Blaine Saipaia got trampled (again) for a sack, resulting in a fumble recovery and a game-tying touchdown, raging head coach Mike Martz hollered for the rookie.

Martz told Barron he was up - in for Saipaia.

Barron's reaction was priceless:

"For real, Coach?"

Martz smiled as he recalled the kid's bulging eyes.

Suddenly as big as balloons.

"You should have seen the look on his face," Martz said.

Thus dispatched, Big Smooth reacted naturally. He's a 6-7, 320-pound freak of athleticism, with the wingspan of a 757, the feet of a ballroom dancer and the disposition of a crocodile.

This situation did not call for sophistication.

Or detente.

Barron's approach went something like this:

See the bad man trying to get to Bulger? Knock him down. And gore him.

See the bad men trying to tackle Marshall Faulk? Shove them out of the way. And gore them.

See the loose football after a Bulger fumble? Fall on it. And gore anyone who comes near you.

Just keep smacking Titans all over the Edward Jones Dome. On his second NFL play, Barron pancaked Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, who up to that point was threatening to end Bulger's career. Vanden Bosch was to Saipaia what Terrell Owens is to dignity.

And then No. 70 showed up.

The Titans saw the rookie, saw the fresh meat, and thought they'd mess with his inexperienced head. "A couple of guys, I don't know who, they were saying, 'Oh, we got a new guy in here, oh yeah, we're going to do this, and do that.' I was just trying to stay focused," Barron said.

Barron certainly seemed to be locked in mentally and physically on that second play, when he turned Vanden Bosch into a can of carpet cleaner.

"I saw it," tight end Roland Williams said. "Barron lifted the guy up and slammed him right on his face. That got everybody's attention. You know, Barron is a quiet kid. He doesn't say much. But what he did on the field today was loud. Very loud."

Equipped with a new bodyguard, and finally comfortable in the pocket, Bulger calmly completed five passes for 70 yards on Barron's first series. The Titans didn't get a paw on Bulger, and the Rams zoomed downfield to go up 31-24.

"Thank goodness Alex came to the rescue," Martz said.

Big Smooth was like one of those unstoppable creatures in a sci-fi movie; Barron's game plan was to pick up smaller men and heave them out of his way. If he wanted to, Barron could have reached up with his right arm to tear down the Jumbotron. He could have walked outside the stadium to Broadway to pick up taxis and buses with his bare hands.

Barron was Orlando Pace - only meaner.

"He is just like Big O," Martz said. "He is just as talented, goodness gracious, he is."

And alert. Late in the game, Bulger fumbled on a scramble. Titans cornerback Andre Woolfolk had the inside track to the ball. But into the picture came Big Smooth and his 320 pounds of flying elbows. Barron swatted Woolfolk away, seemingly annoyed that some gnat would attempt to grab a football that clearly belonged to the Rams.

"Only thing I was thinking was, I best try to get over there before anybody on the Tennessee team did," Barron said. "I saw the ball and got there before he did."

That's Barron's version.

Here's Woolfolk's: "I tried jumping on the football, and he bounced me right off of it."

With Barron making the save, the Rams were able to punt and force the Titans to begin their last drive from the 20-yard line. The Rams' defense held on to seal the rather adventurous 31-27 win.

Martz announced that Barron would start at right tackle next week against the Giants (and Michael Strahan) at the Meadowlands. Martz emphasizes that Barron still has much to learn after missing 21 practices and many more film sessions during his contract holdout. We will undoubtedly see some rookie moments from the big fellow, especially when opponents game-plan him.

But what a debut.

Alex Barron has arrived.

And you could tell by the trail of Tennessee players scattered all over the Dome floor.

[/b][/quote]

-RBB

Big Smooth?

Moon

Comment

Simply stated, Bernie should be working for the Rams PR Dept.
      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 26 2005, 07:50 AM) Quoted post

Big Smoove?

Moon
        [/b][/quote]

Fixed.
        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 26 2005, 08:16 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 26 2005, 07:50 AM) Quoted post

Moon
          [/b][/quote]

Fixed.
          [/b][/quote]

Fixed.

Moon

Comment

Exactly.
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

He looked alot better than anyone expected out there....but Bernie has gone way overboard here.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Vanden Bosch murdered the Ravens.

I like Barron already.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Perhaps knowing the plays is overrated.

See you man...kill your man.

Pretty simple. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Have to admit he looked pretty good. Martz and Bernie go overboard as usual.
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 26 2005, 12:24 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

He looked worlds better than Grant Williams and Rex Tucker in the short amount of time we saw him. I still think Saipaia is a solid backup at tackle and potentially better than that at guard.
                    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 26 2005, 02:43 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

He looked worlds better than Grant Williams and Rex Tucker in the short amount of time we saw him. I still think Saipaia is a solid backup at tackle and potentially better than that at guard.
                      [/b][/quote]

He's got the physical tools. That's for sure.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 26 2005, 02:45 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Heh, you said tools.
                        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 26 2005, 02:47 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Heh, you said tools.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          yeah...but notice I didn't say 'package'
                          [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 26 2005, 02:54 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Heh, you said tools.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

You just did ya big homo! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 26 2005, 02:58 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 26 2005, 02:54 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Heh, you said tools.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              [/b][/quote]

You just did ya big homo! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
                              [/b][/quote]

Look who's talking Jerry Springer!
                              [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                              X