Little Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Help?

A few days ago someone, I think backstop, mentioned the old adage that the defense is better behind a quick-working pitcher. Well, that stuck in my craw, so to speak. Work is dull, I need a project, so I'm looking for a list of fast pitchers and human rain delays. I think I can get the info from retrosheet, but if anyone has a better idea for detailed defensive data, I'm all ears (day-by-day database doesn't track it).
    The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

QUOTE(gibsongirl @ Sep 24 2005, 08:55 PM) Quoted post

A few days ago someone, I think backstop, mentioned the old adage that the defense is better behind a quick-working pitcher. Well, that stuck in my craw, so to speak. Work is dull, I need a project, so I'm looking for a list of fast pitchers and human rain delays. I think I can get the info from retrosheet, but if anyone has a better idea for detailed defensive data, I'm all ears (day-by-day database doesn't track it).
    [/b][/quote]

I remember back in the day Bob Tewksbury was a fucking machine - he'd spend no more than 10 seconds between the time he got the ball back from the catcher before it was back in the catcher's mitt...

Most of the games he ptiched long in were over in about two hours, tops...he was fun to watch...
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Steve Trachsel is famous for being a slooooooooooow pitcher.
      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

The most painfully slow game I ever attended, was a Saturday day game at Busch, on a very hot St. Louis summer day, that featured Rick Sutcliffe of the Cubs against Bryn Smith of the Cards.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Clemens strikes me as a pitcher that doesn't dick around on the mound. I would wager that most of the good pitchers are pretty quick.
          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

You're right. I never understood why so many guys like to screw around on the mound. For one thing, it makes your defense lose a measure of concentration.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 25 2005, 07:48 AM) Quoted post

Clemens strikes me as a pitcher that doesn't dick around on the mound. I would wager that most of the good pitchers are pretty quick.
              [/b][/quote]

Clemens is generally a slow worker if memory serves me right. At least, he was in game 7 of last year's NLCS.

Comment

Working...
              X