School Voucher scandal in Milwaukee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Voucher scandal in Milwaukee

Why some people think private schools will be less "corrupt" than public schools is beyond me.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/wire/2004/0...ers/index.html

April 5, 2004 | MILWAUKEE (AP) -- One school that received millions of dollars through the nation's oldest and largest voucher program was founded by a convicted rapist. Another school reportedly entertained kids with Monopoly while cashing $330,000 in tuition checks for hundreds of no-show students.

The recent scandals have shocked politicians, angered parents and left even some voucher supporters demanding reforms.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Yeah, let's call it off.

How transparent.
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

No public money should go to religious schools, ever.
      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

How mean spirited.
        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Apr 5 2004, 01:11 PM
          No public money should go to religious schools, ever.
          There are a lot of things public money goes to that it shouldn't.
          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Separation of church and state.

MY tax dollars should not go to support religion.

Comment

The schools mentioned aren't religious schools -they are the new breed of for-profit schools that will; supposedly save the education system. Now, there's a reasonable debate about how effective the public schools are, but when a school's primary - actually, ONLY - reason for existing is to make a profit for someone, the incentive to shortchange the students will always be greater.

>>>>>>>>>
              At the Mandella Academy for Science and Math, school officials admitted signing up more than 200 students who never showed and then cashing $330,000 in state-issued tuition checks, which the principal used to buy, among other things, Mercedes-Benzes for himself and the assistant principal.

Meanwhile, Alex's Academics of Excellence received $2.8 million in voucher money over three years before the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that the school's founder, James A. Mitchell, served nearly a decade in prison for a 1971 rape. Unlike their counterparts at public schools, principals and teachers at private schools do not have to undergo criminal background checks.

The state has suspended funding for Alex's because of financial problems, and a judge shut down the Mandella academy earlier this year.

"I think across the community, there was outrage about what happened at Mandella. It finally raised the issue of accountability," said state Rep. Christine Sinicki, a Democrat who sponsored the legislation requiring more stringent financial oversight.

The scandals have upset many, including the parents of the 190 students displaced by Mandella's closing.

"Some of these places they have opened up a school, it's a doggone shame. There's kids playing in alleys and the streets," said Lee Brown, who sent her daughters, ages 14 and 16, to Mandella.

Mandella's principal, David Seppeh, does not have a teacher's license and was not required to submit any information about the school's philosophy or curriculum before receiving upwards of $1 million in voucher funding.

The district attorney's office seized a Mercedes from his home. A criminal investigation is under way.

The Mandella school initially reported an enrollment of 476 students, but 235 of them did not show.
              2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Throw em in jail, and keep my tax dollars out of the church.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Apr 5 2004, 02:16 PM
                  Throw em in jail, and keep my tax dollars out of the church.
                  I'd rather keep my tax money in my wallet.
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Apr 5 2004, 01:15 PM
                    The schools mentioned aren't religious schools -they are the new breed of for-profit schools that will; supposedly save the education system. Now, there's a reasonable debate about how effective the public schools are, but when a school's primary - actually, ONLY - reason for existing is to make a profit for someone, the incentive to shortchange the students will always be greater.

Yeah, I'm sure they have no interest in improving test scores. I'm sure parents will keep sending their kids there, thus profits rolling in, if their kids aren't being educated.

The best of everything you have comes from people who are trying to make a profit. Profit is what causes quality. Look at organizations that are ran without a profit in mind, like social security. What kind of return do you get on your money there?
                    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Burn,

I believe the misunderstanding of markets is intentional.

Comment

And lets trust all of these for profit schools to be honest like other for profit ventures like oh ENRON.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Apr 5 2004, 01:21 PM
                          And lets trust all of these for profit schools to be honest like other for profit ventures like oh ENRON.
                          They've tried what you want in other countries. Guess what, it hasn't worked.

Comment

yaks,

If the parents are smart, they'd do some competitive shopping.

Under the public school system, they have to take what's offered within that district.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Apr 5 2004, 02:23 PM-->
                              QUOTE (BurnKU @ Apr 5 2004, 02:23 PM)
                              Working...
                              X