Arafat a dead man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arafat a dead man?

Ariel Sharon has said as much in recent days. He no longer feels bound by previous agreements not to target Arafat for assassination. Should we assume then that Arafat's days are numbered? And if so, what happens, near and long term, when Arafat is assassinated by the Mossad, or simply bulldozed under while hiding in his compound? Sharon is also advocating unilateral withdrawal from Gaza, the location of most Hezbollah opposition, and even parts of the West Bank, home of Hamas. Won't the withdrawal be viewed as a sign of weakness, whether Arafat survives or not?

As an addendum, keep in mind that Sharon's statements are coming out as he is about to be indicted in a bribery scandal. Can anyone say "Wag the Dog" in Hebrew?

Moon

If they are ever insane enough to kill Arafat we should pull all of our people out and end Military support of Israel.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I'll appluad them. They go directly after the central nervous system.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Yaks, I believe that Israel does much wrong in the current conflict.

But killing Arafat may be the most sane (sanest) thing they have done.

Moon,

The areas Sharon is advocating withdrawal from, are they partitioned areas belonging to the Palestinians?
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

The areas Sharon is advocating withdrawal from, are they partitioned areas belonging to the Palestinians?
          I'm not sure about the specific locations. Gaza sounds like an almost total withdrawal, while it appears that Sharon wants to keep at least three areas in the West Bank that are Israeli settlements. Oh, yeah, Jerusalem too.

Moon

Comment

Killing Arafat would be poltical and literal suicide for Israel.
            2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

It's so difficult choosing between Isreal, Iraq, and Afghanistan when deciding on the next nuclear weapon test site.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Apr 5 2004, 11:25 AM
                Killing Arafat would be poltical and literal suicide for Israel.
                trig,

Israel has already commited political and literal suicide. And the US assisted or at least enabled.

Killing Arafat will help more than hurt.

Comment

Agreed Daze.
                  And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Apr 5 2004, 12:28 PM
                    Killing Arafat will help more than hurt.
                    Killing Arafat will turn every moderate Arab rabidly anti-Israel. It will recruit thousands and thousands more suicide bombers.

How do you think it will help?
                    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Killing Arafat will turn every moderate Arab rabidly anti-Israel. It will recruit thousands and thousands more suicide bombers.
                      As compared to?

They have 14 year old girls commiting suicide attacks. I am not sure you canget more moderate than young children. The Israeli government has advised every licensed gun owner in Israel to carry. People, on a regular basis (weekly, if not daily) get blown up eating ice cream or riding the bus.

Sharon maybe as much at fault today, but Israel has had many different leaders, from aggrssive to passive. The palestinians have had only one. It is time for a change.

A change will not only benefit Israel, but will benefit the Palestinians.

Comment

Again, lazy - how?

Comment

The assasination of Arafat will be an afterthought. His power is zilch and has been for several years. With Arafat out of the way Hamas would cement their take over, playing right into Israel's hands.

Comment

Working...
                          X