Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Survival Things - Gridlock is making travel

From the Houston Chronicle Forum

Having lived by the coast for 20 years – and going through little bitty Isabelle a couple of years ago….here are some suggestions for y’all based on our experiences:

Beyond the “essentials” listed everywhere (batteries, flashlights, non-perishable food, manual can opener, drinking water, radio/TV) – fill your bathtubs and all the plastic containers you have with water. I didn’t understand that this was not for the purposes of drinking – but to flush the toilets in the event that the pumping stations go off line.

Cell phone service is spotty – some carriers do better than others – but you won’t be able to use your phone at all if your battery goes dead. Have a car-charger on hand so you can use your vehicle’s battery to charge your phone. This saved us from being incommunicado during our last hurricane.

Propane or charcoal for your grill. This may be the only method you have to cook food or boil water. You don’t know how much you miss coffee (so have instant on hand).

Chemical glo-sticks – especially if you have children. It gets REALLY dark when the power goes out and having any kind of light was comforting for ours. These things are at the Dollar Store now and by giving each of them one each night – it cut down on our flashlight/battery usage.

Duct tape and tarps/plastic sheeting – for emergency repairs to your roof, broken windows, leaky doors, etc. After Isabelle (which came ashore only as a Cat 1) there were blue tarps on roofs EVERYWHERE. Personally, I purchase shower curtain liners – they are thicker than plastic sheeting – and store better in my “hurricane kit”.

Paper plates, cups, bowls, napkins, paper towels and disposable utensils. Don’t want to have to worry about doing the dishes. Trash bags – there will be lots of debris.

Do your laundry NOW! You will be amazed at how you will go through clothing (it is HOT without the AC running due to lack of power – and cleaning debris will be a messy job) – you will go through clean clothing quickly.

A raincoat or poncho – unless you plan on using a lot of towels – we keep one of these on hand to dash outside to check on the status of the house during the storm.

Baby wipes to “freshen up” and baby powder since it will be muggy after the storm.

Make ice now. In addition to your ice cube trays – fill smaller plastic containers and place in your freezer now. You can use it to fill coolers (don’t want to open doors to the fridge when the power is out) – or use it to fill your fridge (the fuller it is – the longer the contents will stay cold).

Fill your bicycle tires with air now – or charge up the kid’s electric scooter. We found this was the most convenient mode of transportation right after the storm. Traffic lights will be out so driving is dangerous as the spectators come out of the woodwork. Also bikes/scooters move more easily around downed trees and debris.

For little ones – make a pet tag at the kiosk at WalMart/Petsmart – or use a luggage tag, include their name, address, phone number and date of birth and have your child wear it in the event you get separated.

Best of luck to everyone – we will be thinking about you!!
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Another post

Great ideas! I thought of a few more things, but some may be redundant.

I mentioned earlier about having a central contact point and informing your family and friends so they know who will have your info. Also make sure to have photos or email digital photos of all family in case you are separated.

Having been through quite a few hurricanes in Fl (and Gilbert in Mexcio) I've learned a couple of things.. The glow sticks mentioned above are great, and they're available in the party goods / baking section in grocery stores. They don't give a lot of light but add security in the dark.

Freeze as much of your water as you can, keeping in mind to have room for expansion so they don't break. Nothing tastes better than cold water after a hurricane, and it's nowhere to be found.

You MUST be prepared to take care of yourself for 72 hours. It takes that long for the infrastructure to be in place to give out food, water, and ice. Anything to help with the heat, like the baby wipes mentioned above, will be a godsend.

I cooked some of our favorite meals before Jeanne last year and froze them in ziplock freezer bags. That way you can cook it in a pan with water (like a boil in bag, yes is's safe if it's a freezer bag not storage) over a stove with sterno, or a barbeque, and don't have messy cleanup.

Even consider wetting wash cloths and freezing them if you have room in your freezer, for a refreshing way to beat the heat.

If you're evacuating, I think you still need 72 hours worth of supplies.

Fill your bathtub and any other container you have after sterilizing them with bleach and rinsing well. Augment your stopper so you can be sure it doesn't leak out.

A battery powered radio will be your lifeline. You can find them as cheap as $5 with headphones. Usually the larger "boomboxes" sell out first. Consider a cheap walkman style. Also, the walkman style headsets usually use AA batteries, which are the last to sell out. C and D batteries go as fast as they get them in.

If you have a chance BUY A POWER INVERTER for your car. That way you can run some small appliances using your car battery.

Remember after the storm if you're overheating severely and it's safe to go out, you can cool off with your car's AC for a few min. Balance this with the gas you'll be using that won't immediately be available.

Sad thing to remember but once there are tropical storm force winds, 911 can't send anyone to respond. PLEASE EVACUATE.. It will be hot, dirty, unsafe because of possible looting (who would have thought?) and disease. You really can't do anything to save your property after you've done your advance prep. Bring your jewelry, photos, documents and sentimental or valuable items. Bring a laptop or computer so you can keep in touch if you're evacuating to a hotel. Then get out! Don't be deterred by the traffic. You can go to the Texas DOT site and they have info on alternate routes.

Blessings to all.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

The morning show I listen to had someone on the phone that has been on the road 18 hours and has gone all of 72 miles. He'd be better off walking at that rate.

Comment

With 27 hours before the storm hits they need to rethink

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

http://www.cityofgalveston.org/documents/G...EvacMap6_05.pdf

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

i am curious, are there no side streets and backroads in texas and louisiana? is that one interstate the only road out of town?
            Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

QUOTE(billiken_roy @ Sep 23 2005, 08:51 AM) Quoted post

i am curious, are there no side streets and backroads in texas and louisiana? is that one interstate the only road out of town?
              [/b][/quote]
              You read my mind, Roy. Why aren't they using 2-lane highways, even if it is greater distance and doesn't take them directly north? Hell, just go west and you are going to be going away from the storm. Strange.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

I would have taken the backroads, but my experience is that the majority of people arent very smart when it comes to getting out of traffic jams and onto the "roads less travelled". I can of many times when I got around traffic jams just from knowing my way around while most everyone else was just sitting there.
                “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

I'm just glad my son graduated from Rice University in Houston a year and a half ago. The school did have some flooding problems the summer between his freshman and sophmore years but never any hurricanes while he was there, thank Barry. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think a lot of those would come in handy for an earthquake. Especially if you have an extra freezer in your basement like we do.
                  RIP Stan the Man
                  The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                  I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Sep 23 2005, 08:54 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    You read my mind, Roy. Why aren't they using 2-lane highways, even if it is greater distance and doesn't take them directly north? Hell, just go west and you are going to be going away from the storm. Strange.
                    [/b][/quote]

There are many ways out especially north but I think the media just reports on the major ones. I know highway 59 goes north to Nagadoches towards Little Rock. That's the way we always drove down there and back. I'm sure the natives know those too but they just show the main Interstate for ratings or some other reason.
                    RIP Stan the Man
                    I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 23 2005, 08:59 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                      [/b][/quote]

There are many ways out especially north but I think the media just reports on the major ones. I know highway 59 goes north to Nagadoches towards Little Rock. That's the way we always drove down there and back. I'm sure the natives know those too but they just show the main Interstate for ratings or some other reason.
                      [/b][/quote]

Much of the traffic could be avoided if people would choose routes other than the major Houston highways. I don't mean just taking the "official alternates" listed by news or traffic organizations. I'm talking about actually getting out a map and looking for farm roads and state highways that can get you in the direction you need to go.

We left Wednesday night and were able to drive at full speed limits the vast majority of the time by doing this. Even with numerous stops to keep our gas tank always full (gas was readily available by traveling through small towns) we made it from Katy to Waco within 5 hours.

Those complaining that no one has taken care of them should start thinking and taking responsibility for themselves.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Sep 23 2005, 09:01 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 23 2005, 08:59 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Much of the traffic could be avoided if people would choose routes other than the major Houston highways. I don't mean just taking the "official alternates" listed by news or traffic organizations. I'm talking about actually getting out a map and looking for farm roads and state highways that can get you in the direction you need to go.

We left Wednesday night and were able to drive at full speed limits the vast majority of the time by doing this. Even with numerous stops to keep our gas tank always full (gas was readily available by traveling through small towns) we made it from Katy to Waco within 5 hours.

Those complaining that no one has taken care of them should start thinking and taking responsibility for themselves.
                        [/b][/quote]

I'm reasonably sure that most of the people that are stuck on the Interstates are the people from Galveston. They probably don't know the backroads. The only way out of Galveston is through Houston, I believe. But not sure, either. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
                        RIP Stan the Man
                        I miss TLR!

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                          That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks, Schwahalala. Too many morons not thinking clearly, or unable to do so.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Sep 23 2005, 09:14 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                            That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks, Schwahalala. Too many morons not thinking clearly, or unable to do so. [/b][/quote]

Should be basic planning.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I can't stand to get caught in rush hour traffic or accident backups here in STL, I sure as hell wouldn't sit on a fucking Interstate for Barry's sake. I would drive on the backroads until I found another backroad that wasn't crowded. Some of those people are just dumb. "Highway is way out, go highway" is their only thought process. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
                              RIP Stan the Man
                              I miss TLR!

Comment

Working...
                              X