The human side of pro athletes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The human side of pro athletes

This was taken from the AP story of today's Astros - Pirates game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backe made perhaps his best start of the year -- he struck out six and walked none -- despite having matters on his mind despite baseball. A native of Galveston, Texas, he has been spending most of his waking hours making sure his parents and other family members were safe before the hurricane.

His father left his home the night before but, because of heavy traffic, was 100 miles short of his destination Thursday. Lidge's wife also was in heavy traffic, and figured she would be stuck for at least 12 hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
    ``Once they start the game my focus is on baseball,'' Lidge said. ``But the moment I left the clubhouse and the moment I came back, I'm looking at the Weather Channel or CNN, looking at the hurricane. Obviously, a lot of guys on the team have family there. There's a great deal of concern because it's a very powerful storm.''

A number of players had their families fly to Chicago for the weekend. But Backe is worried because he can't reach many of his friends.

``It's definitely on my mind,'' he said. ``Who knows what's going to happen? A lot of my friends are not wealthy and I don't know if they'll be able to get out.''
    Make America Great For Once.

Minute Maid is close-ish to the bay..I wonder wtf will happen if it gets heavy damage...Stros play da Cubs for 4 there next weekend

Comment

QUOTE(Argon @ Sep 22 2005, 07:00 PM) Quoted post

Minute Maid is close-ish to the bay..I wonder wtf will happen if it gets heavy damage...Stros play da Cubs for 4 there next weekend
      [/b][/quote]

Argon I don't think its close to the bay at all. I mean its a quite a bit away from the ship channel let alone the bay. Personally I think that MMP will be fine for the most part unless the storm stalls over Houston and drops heavy rain in the area, then it might have some trouble with flooding.

Comment

A good rinse can only help the city of Houston.

Moon

Comment

This tugs at my heart. I am fucking overjoyed that the Asstros players are so unselfish.

Maybe some of those wingos will go freesos and give some loot to the poor and disenfranchised.

BTW..how does one get to be disenfranchised..it sounds difficult.

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 22 2005, 08:45 PM) Quoted post

Moon
            [/b][/quote]

Don't go there. IMO, the city of St. Louis is the worst thing this side of Beirut.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Sep 22 2005, 09:52 PM) Quoted post

Moon
              [/b][/quote]

Don't go there. IMO, the city of St. Louis is the worst thing this side of Beirut.
              [/b][/quote]

Ever been to Detroit?
              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(Xavier @ Sep 22 2005, 09:16 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Argon @ Sep 22 2005, 07:00 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Argon I don't think its close to the bay at all. I mean its a quite a bit away from the ship channel let alone the bay. Personally I think that MMP will be fine for the most part unless the storm stalls over Houston and drops heavy rain in the area, then it might have some trouble with flooding.
                [/b][/quote]

I was going to say the same thing. That park is really nowhere near the bay. It is pretty safe.

My family is pretty close to MMP and they are safe. The only people leaving are from the southern part of Houston and the Galveston area from the Gulf to Houston.
                Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Sep 22 2005, 08:52 PM) Quoted post

Moon
                  [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

We got our rinsing in '93. And now look at us. The Pageant! Ballpark Village! The Rams! Kiel Center! Chouteau's Pond! Macaroni Grill!

From the ashes a Phoenix arises.

Moon

Comment

Working...
                  X