Houston:
    Tuesday - Marquis v Roy Oswalt
    Wednesday - Carpenter v Brandon Backe

Cincinnati:
    Friday - Mulder v Randy Keisler (L)
    Saturday - Suppan v Ramon Ortiz
    Sunday - Marquis v Brandon Claussen (L)

NOTES
    Wes Obermueller has apparently been dumped from the Brewers rotation. He had the first chance to fill the void left by Ben Sheets' injury, made two starts, got beat up in both, and is now in the bullpen. Gary Glover gets the next chance.

Since the Cards are throwing Carpenter (Chris) and Mulder (Mark) in the Brewer series, five of the six starting pitchers will have the same first and last initials. Only Suppan (Jeff) breaks the pattern.

Houston has an off day just before they play us, but the only pitcher they could reasonably move into Backe's spot would be Wandy Rodriguez. Clemens and Pettitte are scheduled to go Saturday and Sunday. And all of these games are important enough to the 'Stros that there's no reason to think they will shuffle their rotation just to get either of them available for the Cardinal series.

As of this writing, it looks like Jason Marquis v Brandon Claussen will be the pitching matchup for the last game at the old stadium.
    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Shall we read anything into tonight being MM's last start?

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I'd have to go with Marquis for the fourth starter at this point.

Comment

QUOTE(Reggie Cleveland @ Sep 22 2005, 02:16 PM) Quoted post

Shall we read anything into tonight being MM's last start?

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I'd have to go with Marquis for the fourth starter at this point.
      [/b][/quote]
      Tony is going to have a panic attack when he has to call Morris into his office.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Is that supposed to be Morris instead of Carpenter in the Wednesday start against the Astros?

Comment

QUOTE(Fishbone @ Sep 22 2005, 02:22 PM) Quoted post

Is that supposed to be Morris instead of Carpenter in the Wednesday start against the Astros?
          [/b][/quote]

My understanding is that they are going to keep Carp on regular rest to position him for the playoffs. Regular rest for him would put him on Wednesday.

Mulder is solid at number two, so he should be going Friday. Morris could, I suppose, start either of the last two games, but I'm thinking by that time they should be setting the playoff rotation and I don't, right now, see Morris being included.

Tonight's start may change things, but . . .

Comment

So tonight could be the conclusion of MM's Cardinal career, at least as a starter.

Comment

QUOTE(Reggie Cleveland @ Sep 22 2005, 03:27 PM) Quoted post

So tonight could be the conclusion of MM's Cardinal career, at least as a starter.
              [/b][/quote]

Tony will probably surprise me, but that's how I read it.

Comment

Working...
              X