Bill would require pets be included in evacuations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill would require pets be included in evacuations

I've always liked Chris Shays, a Republican representing one of the richest districts in the land but a pretty progressive lad.

Legislation would require pet to be included in evacuations
    More would leave if pets allowed, lawmakers say

Thursday, September 22, 2005; Posted: 2:36 p.m. EDT (18:36 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal disaster grants to state and local governments should be conditioned on how they accommodate pets in their evacuation plans, say lawmakers disturbed that some Hurricane Katrina victims refused to leave home because they couldn't take their animals with them.

"I cannot help but wonder how many more people could have been saved had they been able to take their pets," Rep. Tom Lantos, D-California, said Thursday.

Lantos and Reps. Christopher Shays, R-Connecticut, and Barney Frank, D-Massaschusetts, are sponsoring a bill that would require that state and local disaster preparedness plans required for Federal Emergency Management Agency funding include provisions for household pets and service animals.

More than 6,000 pets have been saved in Mississippi and Louisiana, said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of the Humane Society of the United States, but tens of thousands more could still be in New Orleans alone. Texas, he said, has been better at allowing people to take their pets with them ahead of Hurricane Rita but a formal policy is still needed.

"We cannot rely on individual acts of compassion," Markarian said.

Holly Hazard, executive director of the Doris Day Animal League, said there are 4,000 outstanding requests to rescue pets more than three weeks after Katrina hit.

While the legislation may draw attention to the issue, it doesn't "have any real meat in it," said Sara Spaulding, a spokeswoman for the American Humane Association. She said uniform protocols on rescuing and sheltering animals, for example, should be formulated at the federal level with consultation from animal welfare groups.[/b][/quote]
    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Let's get the people evacuation right, first.

Comment

In a time when so much is fucked up in this country, I'm appalled to see that lawmakers are trying to save animals from hurricanes and baseball from steroids.

Fuck that.....and I'm a huge Baseball fan and Animal lover.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

It doesn't have to be an either/or kind of thing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Sep 22 2005, 02:17 PM) Quoted post

It doesn't have to be an either/or kind of thing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]

but it is.
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Sep 22 2005, 01:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

but it is.
            [/b][/quote]

I won't settle for that.

Comment

Do we really need a law for this? Good Lord.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Sep 22 2005, 02:19 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Sep 22 2005, 01:18 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

but it is.
                [/b][/quote]

I won't settle for that.
                [/b][/quote]

Your voice is your vote....but so far it's not making a difference. Lawmakers prefer to stick to non-controversial niche issues where they can't be cast in a bad light.

Shitty hand we're delt, but it's the reality of what we've got.

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 22 2005, 02:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Thats what I'm thinking...........

UM hello! If I need to evacuate, I dont need a stinking law telling me I can take my dog with me.

I know this is probably in regard to the dumbass people that want to ride out the storm and their house was flooded to the top. But come on.

Comment

QUOTE(#1 Jimmy fan @ Sep 22 2005, 02:29 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Sep 22 2005, 02:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Thats what I'm thinking...........

UM hello! If I need to evacuate, I dont need a stinking law telling me I can take my dog with me.

I know this is probably in regard to the dumbass people that want to ride out the storm and their house was flooded to the top. But come on.
                    [/b][/quote]
                    Apparently, there were a lot of people that did not evacuate NO before the storm because of their pets and there were also people who would not leave after the storm either when the rescuers told them they were not allowed to take their pets with them. Lots of people had to leave their animals behind.

I agree we don't need a law though. Compassion and decency, not legislation, should call for pets being evacuated as well whenever possible.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                    Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                    Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                    NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                    LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

People should include their pets in their disaster planning, but I don't wan't the government making such laws.
                      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

My brain hurts.

Comment

Fucking stupid. Pets will have the "right" to healthcare soon.
                          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

QUOTE(BurnKU @ Sep 22 2005, 07:36 PM) Quoted post

Fucking stupid. Pets will have the "right" to healthcare soon.
                            [/b][/quote]

Could "interspecies" marriage be far from behind?
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 22 2005, 02:06 PM) Quoted post

Let's get the people evacuation right, first.
                              [/b][/quote]

Start small.

Free the goldfish. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                              "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

Working...
                              X