Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - what is the best video capturing device at CC or BB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - what is the best video capturing device at CC or BB?

My dad is wanting to convert all of his home videos to DVD. We went to CC yesterday and looked around for a bit. What is out there that does the job?

QUOTE(Damon @ Sep 22 2005, 11:26 AM) Quoted post

My dad is wanting to convert all of his home videos to DVD. We went to CC yesterday and looked around for a bit. What is out there that does the job?
    [/b][/quote]

I started this journey 2 years ago and it hasn't been a simple one.

I got Pinnacle Studio with USB Moviebox. Movie box captures great, but it doesn't have drivers that allow it to capture using other programs and Studio sucks for rendering, I always ended up with OOS issues, that is audio and video out of sync.

I use TMPGenc for rendering, converting MPEGs to DVD compliant audio and video which takes longer than real time. MPEG video is already DVD compliant, but the Dolby plugin converts the audio to DVD compliant dolby audio. It has a batch encoding tool so you can render all your DVD content overnight or while you're at work.

Finally I use Adobe Encore DVD for DVD authoring. Encore seamlessly integrates Photoshop for menu creation.

There are most definitely simpler options, but this is how I do it.
    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Excellent post, Dred.

Let me ask ... do you keep a copy of the MPGs created before you make your DVDs?

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 22 2005, 11:53 AM) Quoted post

Excellent post, Dred.

Let me ask ... do you keep a copy of the MPGs created before you make your DVDs?
        [/b][/quote]

The raw capture? Or the edited MPG?

Once I've got the edited MPG I delete the raw capture. Once the DVD is successfully made I delete it from the TIVO hd [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Sep 22 2005, 12:56 PM) Quoted post

Excellent post, Dred.

[/b][/quote]

Once I've got the edited MPG I delete the raw capture. Once the DVD is successfully made I delete it from the TIVO hd [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]
          lol

Yes, the edited MPG.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 22 2005, 11:59 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Sep 22 2005, 12:56 PM) Quoted post

Excellent post, Dred.

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
            lol

Yes, the edited MPG.
            [/b][/quote]

The edited MPG is an asset in the adobe encore project, it's necessary to create the DVD content.

Comment

QUOTE(Damon @ Sep 22 2005, 12:26 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What do you mean by "home video" is this from a cam corder?

I have found that Windows Movie Maker does a great job of getting the Video onto your computer.

After that I use ULEAD DVD Movie Factory to make the DVD files, and I use Nero to Burn, I think Nero does the best job burning.
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 22 2005, 01:15 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I have found that Windows Movie Maker does a great job of getting the Video onto your computer.

After that I use ULEAD DVD Movie Factory to make the DVD files, and I use Nero to Burn, I think Nero does the best job burning. [/b][/quote]

The camera is most likely analog and I think he's asking for a digital converter.

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Sep 22 2005, 01:18 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 22 2005, 01:15 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

After that I use ULEAD DVD Movie Factory to make the DVD files, and I use Nero to Burn, I think Nero does the best job burning. [/b][/quote]

The camera is most likely analog and I think he's asking for a digital converter.
                  [/b][/quote]

What sort of outputs does it have?
                  Can you connect it to your computer or do you need a device?

Comment

I should have explained his situation better. He's got a normal home video camera that uses small tapes and wants to run that through whatever device (which he doesn't have) onto his home PC. What he's looking for is a device that he can hook his camera or VCR to which will transfer that to his PC.

Comment

Damon

If you want to PM and tell me what hardware you have, and what you are trying to do "exactly", I'll give you some good options.

Comment

QUOTE(Damon @ Sep 22 2005, 01:59 PM) Quoted post

I should have explained his situation better. He's got a normal home video camera that uses small tapes and wants to run that through whatever device (which he doesn't have) onto his home PC. What he's looking for is a device that he can hook his camera or VCR to which will transfer that to his PC.
                        [/b][/quote]

What kind of connections does the camera have?

Does it have a USB or Firewaire?

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 22 2005, 02:00 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Does it have a USB or Firewaire? [/b][/quote]

Most likely, it's got the RCA outs for going to a VCR or TV

Comment

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Sep 22 2005, 02:02 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

If it has USB or Firewire you don't need any device to connect it to your computer, just plug it in and open Windows Movie Maker, then select capture from video device.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 22 2005, 02:04 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Sep 22 2005, 02:02 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

If it has USB or Firewire you don't need any device to connect it to your computer, just plug it in and open Windows Movie Maker, then select capture from video device.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              YES, WE REALIZE THAT.

Do you realize that we're trying to say his camera probably doesn't have those connections?

Comment

Working...
                              X