X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock and Roll HOF nominees

L I N K

Mellencamp Tapped for Rock Hall of Fame

Heartland rocker John Mellencamp is among the nominees for a new class of inductees at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, joined by jazz legend Miles Davis, rap pioneers Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five and Blondie.

Mellencamp quickly ditched the cheesy nickname Johnny Cougar and banged out a series of rock hits in the 1980s, including "Pink Houses," "Jack & Diane" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA."

Grandmaster Flash, whose "The Message" and "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)" were among rap's early hits, will test whether the rock hall is willing to open its doors to one of today's top styles of music.

The late Davis was one of jazz's most iconoclastic musicians. Blondie, led by pinup model Debbie Harry, fused pop with the aggression of punk and mixed in rap and disco.

Cat Stevens, who had folk hits in the 1970s before converting to Islam and largely retiring from music, was also nominated, along with punk rock pioneers The Patti Smith Group, the Sex Pistols and the Stooges.

"Free Bird" singers Lynyrd Skynyrd, heavy metal band Black Sabbath, the '60s beat group Dave Clark Five, Boston-area blues-rockers J. Geils Band, dance masters Chic and Texans Joe Tex, and the Sir Douglas Quintet were also on the ballot.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote, and results of the 21st annual election will likely be announced in December.

Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Sep 22 2005, 08:37 AM) Quoted post

L I N K

Mellencamp Tapped for Rock Hall of Fame

Heartland rocker John Mellencamp is among the nominees for a new class of inductees at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, joined by jazz legend Miles Davis, rap pioneers Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five and Blondie.

Mellencamp quickly ditched the cheesy nickname Johnny Cougar and banged out a series of rock hits in the 1980s, including "Pink Houses," "Jack & Diane" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA."

Grandmaster Flash, whose "The Message" and "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)" were among rap's early hits, will test whether the rock hall is willing to open its doors to one of today's top styles of music.

The late Davis was one of jazz's most iconoclastic musicians. Blondie, led by pinup model Debbie Harry, fused pop with the aggression of punk and mixed in rap and disco.

Cat Stevens, who had folk hits in the 1970s before converting to Islam and largely retiring from music, was also nominated, along with punk rock pioneers The Patti Smith Group, the Sex Pistols and the Stooges.

"Free Bird" singers Lynyrd Skynyrd, heavy metal band Black Sabbath, the '60s beat group Dave Clark Five, Boston-area blues-rockers J. Geils Band, dance masters Chic and Texans Joe Tex, and the Sir Douglas Quintet were also on the ballot.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote, and results of the 21st annual election will likely be announced in December.

Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.
    [/b][/quote]

I can't see them inducting Miles, even though his work in fusion should get him the key.
    Sorta surprised Lynyrd Skynyrd and Black Sabbath weren't listed on the headline though.
    "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
    "I didn't know you
    had any feelings"

Comment

Grandmaster Flash gets in before Black Sabbath?

Jann Wenner is a fucking elitist asshole fairy.
      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Mellencamp?

Elect him yesterday.

Comment

Is there anyone who's had more than one hit NOT in the R & R HOF?

Comment

QUOTE(Reggie Cleveland @ Sep 22 2005, 09:49 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

The Monkees
            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

J. Geils really had it going on for a couple years, but then flamed. Full House was a killer live album.
              Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

QUOTE(Reggie Cleveland @ Sep 22 2005, 09:49 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                Yeah, it's becoming as watered down as the Baseball HOF. The number of players currently playing that will undoubtedly enter the Hall after retirement is ridiculously staggering.

I even heard overwhelming acceptance and confirmation (from several announcers/sportswriters) that Chipper Jones is a shoo-in for the HOF after his playing days are over.

Somewhere Dale Murphy is silently thinking "What the fuck!"
                "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Rush isn't in, still.

Fucking Wenner.

Comment

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Sep 22 2005, 08:54 AM) Quoted post

Rush isn't in, still.

Fucking Wenner.
                    [/b][/quote]

Yawn is still alive?

A.C.

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Sep 22 2005, 08:58 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Sep 22 2005, 08:54 AM) Quoted post

Rush isn't in, still.

Fucking Wenner.
                      [/b][/quote]

Yawn is still alive?
                      [/b][/quote]

Yeppers, and he still controls the ballot, as in who gets on and who doesn't.

I hate him and his faggy, bubblegum magazine.

Comment

After what he did to the Flaming Lips, FUCK Cat Stevens.

... and Miles Davis? Was it for the fusion shit he did?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Sep 22 2005, 09:04 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Could you elaborate on the Flaming Lips debacle?

I like Hard Headed Woman and Wild World. I don't know if it';s HOF stuff, though.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Sep 22 2005, 09:04 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Miles should be there just for Bitches Brew.

slink:

http://www.columbiajazz.com/newsletter2/brew.html

A.C.

Comment

R&R HOF is a piece of shit. Black Sabbath is nominated every year and never gets in. Miles Davis (helluva musician but not rock n roll if anything he tried to be rock n' roll and failed) and John Cougar mellencamp over Black Sabbath?????????????? Just another reason not to visit cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                              X