Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rita relief - time to step up loungers

The way I see it -

It's due to hit Galveston on Saturday - if we start now we might be better prepared. Specifically - I would like to support the Galveston and police - fire department - and health care workers.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Why, the federal government will pay for all of this, might as well direct your financial assitance to avenues and causes not already bankrolled.
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I have a question that I thought of this morning: There has been an awful lot of money raised for the victims of Katrina. Will there again be another effort to raise money for the victims of Rita which could be almost as devastating as Katrina? Or will the money be shared equally among the victims of both storms? There was a lot if arguing over the money raised for the families of the 9/11 victims as to who should get how much and I wonder if that's going to be repeated with this.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
      Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
      Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
      Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
      NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
      LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Sep 21 2005, 11:37 AM) Quoted post

I have a question that I thought of this morning: There has been an awful lot of money raised for the victims of Katrina. Will there again be another effort to raise money for the victims of Rita which could be almost as devastating as Katrina? Or will the money be shared equally among the victims of both storms? There was a lot if arguing over the money raised for the families of the 9/11 victims as to who should get how much and I wonder if that's going to be repeated with this.
        [/b][/quote]
        According to the MSM, it depends on how many poor, black people are affected.

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Sep 21 2005, 11:31 AM) Quoted post

It's due to hit Galveston on Saturday - if we start now we might be better prepared. Specifically - I would like to support the Galveston and police - fire department - and health care workers.
          [/b][/quote]
          So ... what did you have in mind?

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 21 2005, 11:39 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            [/b][/quote]
            The MSM????

Comment

QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Sep 21 2005, 11:42 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              [/b][/quote]
              The MSM????
              [/b][/quote]
              Main stream media.

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 21 2005, 11:44 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Sep 21 2005, 11:42 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                [/b][/quote]
                The MSM????
                [/b][/quote]
                Main stream media.
                [/b][/quote]
                Ah I see. That makes sense. But remember how much of a ruckus there was over the money raised after 9/11 not going directly into the pockets of the victim's families? We may see the same thing happen here with the money raised for the hurricane victims. Someone on either MSNBC or Fox (I was flipping channels) last night said that some of the money was going to be funneled to the relief agencies and they were instantly questioned as to why the money was not going directly to the victims. Now we have 2 hurricanes and even more people affected. This could get ugly.

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                  So ... what did you have in mind?
                  [/b][/quote]

I believe Steveinebriated has some revenue to work with.
                  The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                    So ... what did you have in mind? [/b][/quote]

Ideally - I would like to provide some basic needs to the first responders and their families. For the guys and girls on the job - clean clothing - socks - underwear - hand anti bacterial stuff - gloves. For the families in shelters - diapers - and other baby supplies. And I would like to do this as soon as it is safe to go in -

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Let Wal-Mart take over emergency management

By John Tierney

NEW YORK TIMES

SLIDELL, La. - I don't think Washington needs any more czars. But if President Bush feels compelled to put someone in charge of rebuilding the Gulf Coast, let me suggest a name: Lee Scott.

Scott is the chief executive of Wal-Mart, one of the few institutions to improve its image here after Katrina sent a 15-foot wave across the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. If you mention the Red Cross or FEMA to people in Slidell, you hear rants about help that didn't arrive and phone lines that are always busy. If you mention state or national politicians, you hear obscenities.

But if you visit the Wal-Mart and the Sam's Club stores here, you hear shoppers who have been without power for weeks marveling that there are still generators in stock (and priced at $304.04). You hear about the trucks that rolled in right after the hurricane and the stuff the stores gave away: chain saws and boots for rescue workers, sheets and clothes for shelters, water and ice for the public.

"This was the only place we could find water those first days," said Rashan Smith, who was shopping with her three children at Wal-Mart on Saturday. "I still haven't managed to get through to FEMA. It's hard to say, but you get more justice at Wal-Mart."

That's the same assessment you hear from public officials in Louisiana, and there's even been talk of letting Wal-Mart take over FEMA's job. The company already has its own emergency operations center, where dozens of people began preparing for the hurricane the week before it hit by moving supplies and trucks into position.

I realize that Scott would not be a popular choice with Democrats. They concede that Wal-Mart and other private companies were far better prepared for Katrina than FEMA was, but they say FEMA would work fine if it were under the control of a virtuous, compassionate public servant - someone, as Bill Clinton suggested, like himself.

Clinton looks back on the 1990s as FEMA's Age of Pericles. "I think we did a good job of disaster management," he said on ABC's "This Week." While criticizing the Bush administration for leaving poor people stranded in New Orleans, he said that he and his FEMA director, James Lee Witt, had been especially sensitive to the needs of poor people because of their own backgrounds.

But if they cared so much, why didn't New Orleans ever work out a feasible way to evacuate poor people? FEMA had a golden opportunity to plan it during the 1990s. The threat of nuclear war had receded and terrorism wasn't yet a priority, so the agency's biggest concerns should have been an earthquake in California and a flood in New Orleans.

But it was too busy dealing with the record number of other "disasters" that Clinton declared - an average of one a week, which meant FEMA was mailing out checks for every flash flood within range of a major media market. Upstate New Yorkers suddenly became incapable of coping with the cost of snow removal.

In 1997, Congress gave FEMA $500,000 and ordered it to develop a comprehensive plan to evacuate New Orleans. The agency passed on the money to Louisiana, which used it instead to study building a new bridge. As Rita Beamish of The Associated Press reported on Sunday, FEMA didn't bother making sure a plan was drawn up - an aide to Witt said its job had just been to pass on the money.

How often do you suppose someone at Wal-Mart headquarters dispenses $500,000 and doesn't bother keeping track of it? It's legendary for tracking every transaction and pinching every penny.

When Scott, the chief executive officer, travels with the chief financial officer, they cut costs by sharing a hotel room.

That's the kind of leader we need to oversee the tens of billions that Washington will be spending on the Gulf Coast. Scott could cut costs while still leaving the area as well prepared for the next disaster as Wal-Mart was for Katrina.

David Vitter, the Republican senator from Louisiana, was so impressed with the rapid response of Wal-Mart and other companies that he promised to introduce a bill to abolish FEMA and contract its job out to the private sector. I'm afraid the Wal-Mart Emergency Management Agency will be a tough sell on Capitol Hill. But I'd vote for WEMA.

Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

The way I see it -

We need to plan a response to come form the west - right now El Paso Texas would be a good place to organize relief.

Then find out who and what the authorities want and need - and be ready to roll (figuratively) after the Hurricane hits - so that relief gets there within 24 hours.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I would like to know which loungers could help work up list of items needed - then I will find a contact in El Paso to purchase these items or collect them from individuals willing to donate.

Then we need to get them to the area.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Sep 21 2005, 11:56 AM) Quoted post

The way I see it -

We need to plan a response to come form the west - right now El Paso Texas would be a good place to organize relief.

Then find out who and what the authorities want and need - and be ready to roll (figuratively) after the Hurricane hits - so that relief gets there within 24 hours.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            Due to transportation logisitics and based on Lazy's post about WalMart, would it be faster and more effective to organize a collection of gift cards to WalMart to send to the people that need to buy supplies such as you mentioned?

Comment

Give your money to me - I love black people.

Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X