Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports: Martz on Wistrom Money

Source

One of the great things about the NFL's annual meeting is that almost every one of the league's head coaches attends, and they are generally in the mood to speak their minds in a way they never would in the middle of the season, when the bullets are flying.

For instance, this week in Palm Beach, Fla., Rams head coach Mike Martz was asked his reaction to $14 million signing bonus that NFC West rival Seattle awarded St. Louis free-agent defensive end Grant Wistrom?

Without missing a beat, Martz shot back: "I wanted to know what store he bought his lottery ticket, because I wanted to shop there. No, I think it's terrific. I think he's well worth it. We have the same feelings about him [as Seattle], and we would've loved to compensate him the same way, we just don't have that kind of money. We don't have the room.

"He will earn every penny of it. A lot of people think he's overpaid, this, that and the other thing. Until he lines up and plays. The impact that he has on the chemistry of that defense, you can't measure that."

I liked Wistrom alot, but he was overpaid. I wish we could have kept him, but not at that price.

Comment

I wouldn't have even kept Wistrom @ last year's dollars. He's merely an average DE....the kind of player that should be making no more than $1 million.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

'02 was not a good season, but he seemed to pick it back up again last year. He's certainly not a "superstar" DE, but he's better than average.

Comment

Good for Grant. Based on his production here - against a double team opposite side - he is now wildly overpaid. Not nearly as worried about DE as I am about the middle of the OL, QB, even RB.

Moe
          The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Apr 5 2004, 01:20 PM
            '02 was not a good season, but he seemed to pick it back up again last year. He's certainly not a "superstar" DE, but he's better than average.
            He hasn't had a good season since 2000, with his single season average since then being around 54 tackles and 7 sacks.

What makes it worse, is that he's VERY streaky. He'll get three sacks in a game, then disappear for weeks at a time.

He wasn't worth what the Rams were paying him last year....especially with the league being so DT/OG oriented right now.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Apr 5 2004, 01:23 PM
              Not nearly as worried about DE as I am about the middle of the OL, QB, even RB.
              QFA.

Comment

Working...
              X