Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Catholic Abuse

Ex-Vianney educator faces new abuse suit

This guy was at Vianney when I was there. He was very creepy, and these charges don't surprise me.

Edit: Added article text

By Robert Patrick
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/20/2005

When Marianist province officials heard allegations that the principal of St. Mary's High School in St. Louis had drugged or hypnotized students as part of "bizarre" psychological experiments in 1983, they sent him to New Mexico for treatment, according to province officials.

About nine months later, province officials were told Brother William Mueller had been successfully treated. He got a new job, this time as assistant principal and religion teacher at St. John Vianney High School.

Fifteen months later, he was kicked out after the father of two boys accused Mueller of bizarre behavior, province officials said.

On Tuesday, another allegation surfaced in a civil suit filed in St. Louis County by former Vianney student body president Bryan Bacon, who said Mueller sexually abused him in 1985.
    Advertisement

In a news conference Tuesday morning, Bacon said a knife-wielding Mueller abused him as part of a psychological project studying fear.

Bacon said that Mueller began asking increasingly bizarre and uncomfortable questions, then began rubbing his neck and back and blowing in his ear.

Bacon said Mueller then blindfolded him, pressed what felt like a knife to his throat and then pressed his body to the 15-year-old's from behind and began simulating sexual intercourse.

A ringing telephone interrupted Mueller, Bacon said, and he avoided Mueller until he abruptly left several weeks later.

Bacon's lawsuit is the third in one week accusing Mueller of sexually abusing students.

Two former students of a Colorado school sued Mueller last week, accusing him of using ether to drug and sexually abuse them in the late 1960s.

Letters are being sent
    Last week's allegations prompted Brother Stephen Glodek, head of the Marianist Province of the United States, to draft a letter asking school officials in three states to inform thousands of former students about the accusations.

Glodek said the sending of such letters is now official province policy.

Mueller, 67, could not be reached for comment and has not returned a phone message left at his home in San Antoniolast week.

Bacon, a clerk for a federal bankruptcy judge in St. Louis, said that after suppressing the memory for years, he told his wife, sought counseling and then contacted St. Louis County prosecutors this summer. A sex crimes prosecutor told him to go to Kirkwood police, he said.

Glodek said last week that investigators had contacted him about an allegation against Mueller. Glodek also said that Mueller's personnel files had been subpoenaed.

"All I can tell you is it is still under investigation," Kirkwood Police Detective Geoff Morrison said Tuesday afternoon.

Bacon's lawsuit also says Vianney and Marianist officials knew that Mueller had been accused of abusing children but failed to remove him.

Bacon said that Glodek had agreed to pay for counseling before the filing of the lawsuit. Glodek said that until last week, he was unaware of any allegations of sexual abuse that had been lodged against Mueller.

Last week Glodek told the Post-Dispatch that Bacon's accusations were not sexual, although Bacon told Glodek that Mueller rubbed his neck, shoulders, chest and back, blew on his neck and breathed in his ear. Glodek said that Bacon did not tell him about the alleged ear nibbling or simulated intercourse.

Marianist spokeswoman Diane Guerra said Mueller resigned as principal of St. Mary's in November of 1983 after province officials received allegations that he had either drugged or hypnotized students and engaged in "weird and bizarre" behavior.

Officials did not remember the allegations being of a sexual nature, she said.

Tracking Mueller, records
    Kevin Hacker, current principal of St. Mary's, said that he had no records as to why Mueller left. Hacker said that the Marianists would have maintained complaints and records.

An old St. Mary's school newspaper clipping says Mueller "cited personal and family matters."

Mueller spent about eight months at the Servants of the Paraclete center in New Mexico, Guerra said. Province officials, including former Provincial Father David Fleming, decided to return Mueller to the schools after being assured by the treatment center that he had been successfully treated and was suitable for return to any position, Guerra said.

Fleming, now superior general of the Marianists, could not be reached for comment late Tuesday night in his office in Italy.

Brother Joe Grieshaber, principal at Vianney at the time, said that he asked Fleming why Mueller was treated but did not get an answer.

Grieshaber recalls Fleming saying "Bill was cleared. He was OK. He was capable of working in our school at any position and I accepted him on that basis."

Grieshaber said he summoned Mueller to his office and dismissed him after receiving a call from the father of two male Vianney students who said that Mueller was doing some "kinky" things with his sons.

Grieshaber said he was not told of any sexual harassment but thought the behavior was "strange" and "inappropriate."

Asked if he would have hired Mueller if he knew of the accusations at St. Mary's, Grieshaber said, "What I do know is that back in those days, we thought a lot of these problems could be cured. People were sent to places like this to have a renewal and to improve and to get over what the problem was. So I thought whatever it was, he's been cleared."

Mueller left the Marianists in September of 1986.

[email protected] 314-621-5154

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Geoff Morrison is a badass. Clark Kent with a badge. He'll lock this dude up.

Moon

Comment

Things getting interesting here too!

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Sep 21 2005, 07:57 AM) Quoted post

This guy was at Vianney when I was there. He was very creepy, and these charges don't surprise me.

[/b][/quote]

When I saw the thread title I had a feeling I knew who was involved. I was at Vianney at the same time and I got the same impression of him, something was definitely not right. Didn't he go on "sabbattical" during Christmas break and never return? I remember the explanation for his leaving sounding really odd and there were rumors almost immediately about the real reasons for his departure.
        Homer: There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
        Bart: Isn't that just the wrong way?
        Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Comment

There was a Brother at Vianney when I was a freshman and they called him "Horny Harold". He was kind of creepy but I never heard of him doing anything to anyone. Anyone know anything about him or where he's at? This was in the 1970-71 school year.
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(maxpower @ Sep 21 2005, 08:30 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Sep 21 2005, 07:57 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

When I saw the thread title I had a feeling I knew who was involved. I was at Vianney at the same time and I got the same impression of him, something was definitely not right. Didn't he go on "sabbattical" during Christmas break and never return? I remember the explanation for his leaving sounding really odd and there were rumors almost immediately about the real reasons for his departure.
            [/b][/quote]
            I believe you are correct about leaving after Xmas break. I just remember him always hugging students.

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 21 2005, 08:07 AM) Quoted post

Moon
              [/b][/quote]
              Clark Kent. Yep.

He lives across the street from me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] Friends from highschool come over sometimes and a couple have noticed him working in his yard. It's worth a laugh or two to see their face when they recognize him.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 21 2005, 07:42 AM) Quoted post

Moon
                [/b][/quote]
                Clark Kent. Yep.

He lives across the street from me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] Friends from highschool come over sometimes and a couple have noticed him working in his yard. It's worth a laugh or two to see their face when they recognize him.
                [/b][/quote]

His sis and mine are best friends. The guy has looked the same for the last thirty years. Always fun to see him come around KHS as the police liaison when some kid got caught with dope or hiding a shotgun in his locker.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 21 2005, 09:07 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Sep 21 2005, 07:42 AM) Quoted post

Moon
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Clark Kent. Yep.

[/b][/quote]

His sis and mine are best friends. The guy has looked the same for the last thirty years. Always fun to see him come around KHS as the police liaison when some kid got caught with dope or hiding a shotgun in his locker.

Moon
                  [/b][/quote]
                  many people hated him to death. I was a good girl and so I never really knew him back then. I only knew of him because I had some degenerate friends.
                  Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

From a friend of mine at Vianney:

<>

Comment

Detective Morrison? Why, I made his acquaintance many times! (As a parent, not a perp.)

Comment

Additional recent articles about Mueller.

Pueblo article

Pueblo article 2

Comment

QUOTE(Reggie Cleveland @ Sep 21 2005, 08:39 AM) Quoted post

Detective Morrison? Why, I made his acquaintance many times! (As a parent, not a perp.)
                          [/b][/quote]

Betcha had him on speed dial for when those damned kids were playing in your yard.

Moon

Comment

Betcha had him on speed dial for when those damned kids were playing in your yard.[/b][/quote]

More accurately, he had US on speed dial.

Comment

QUOTE(Reggie Cleveland @ Sep 21 2005, 08:50 AM) Quoted post

Betcha had him on speed dial for when those damned kids were playing in your yard.[/b][/quote]

More accurately, he had US on speed dial.
                              [/b][/quote]

Well, when you are operating a juvenile Latino sweatshop out of your basement, I would hope that the fine authorities in Kirkwood would have an eye on you. Those POH-lice in Des Peres aren't quite as diligent.

Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X