X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationals suspend chapel leader

Nationals suspend chapel leader
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The chapel leader for the Washington Nationals was suspended Tuesday after a flap over comments about Jews.

Jon Moeller will not be allowed access to the clubhouse while the team investigates. The Nationals have asked the Christian ministry Baseball Chapel, which appoints and oversees the volunteers, to provide a replacement.

According to an article published Sunday in The Washington Post, Nationals outfielder Ryan Church said he asked Moeller if Jews are "doomed" because they do not believe in Jesus. Church said Moeller nodded, the Post reported.

A team statement Tuesday quoted Church as saying he is "not the type of person who would call into question the religious beliefs of others." The statement also quoted team president Tony Tavares as saying the reported remarks "do not, in any manner, reflect the views or opinions of the Washington Nationals franchise."

Vince Nauss, president of Baseball Chapel, said the group understood the Nationals' position, but added that Moeller had served the team well. In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Nauss said the group planned to talk with the team before taking any action. Moeller could not be reached for comment.

"The Nationals did a good job about bringing hate into the locker room," said Rabbi Shmuel Herzfeld, who leads the city's oldest Orthodox synagogue, Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah.

Herzfeld said he met with Tavares for about 30 minutes Tuesday after denouncing the reported remarks at a news conference interrupted by security officials outside RFK Stadium.

He described the meeting with Tavares as productive, but said he would continue to follow the situation.

Ron Halber, executive director of the Jewish Community Council of Greater Washington, said it would be more appropriate if non-denominational prayers were offered so players of all backgrounds could participate.
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Oh To-o-orchie...there's a job opening for you in DC... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Sep 20 2005, 10:44 PM) Quoted post

Vince Nauss, president of Baseball Chapel, said the group understood the Nationals' position, but added that Moeller had served the team well. [/b][/quote]

If condemning Jews to Hell, as defined by Baseball Chapel, which I suppose is Tampa Bay, is a good job, what would constitute a bad job?
      From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

The guy didn't even "say" a thing. He nodded in response to a question from a player. That is "bringing hate into the locker room"?

Don't Christians believe that anyone who doesn't accept Jesus Christ as their savior will not receive salvation on death? That includes Jews, does it not?

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 21 2005, 07:07 AM) Quoted post

The guy didn't even "say" a thing. He nodded in response to a question from a player. That is "bringing hate into the locker room"?

Don't Christians believe that anyone who doesn't accept Jesus Christ as their savior will not receive salvation on death? That includes Jews, does it not?

Moon
          [/b][/quote]

I am deeply offended by this post.

-RBB

Comment

"The Nationals did a good job about bringing hate into the locker room," said Rabbi Shmuel Herzfeld, who leads the city's oldest Orthodox synagogue, Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah.
            [/b][/quote]

And saying something like this is a great way to help the cause, Rabbi. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
            Official Lounge Sponsor:
            Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
            The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
            Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Moon
              [/b][/quote]
              That is my understanding is some versions of Christianity. I don't think it is that way for all of them.

Oh and I hate political correctness!

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

QUOTE(jhanke @ Sep 21 2005, 07:51 AM) Quoted post

Moon
                [/b][/quote]
                That is my understanding is some versions of Christianity. I don't think it is that way for all of them.

[/b][/quote]

Catholics are cool with Jews because the church has been ransacked by zionists and communists. Most protestants believe Jews are separate from Christians. In some cases they nearly worship them as deities but then also believe that most of them die a terrible death during Armegeddon. The rest believe since they don't believe in Jesus as their savior they are damned. Anybody stop to ask the rabbi what happens to christians when they die? His answer would be much more interesting.

Comment

Where the bad folks go when they die.
                  They don't go to Heaven where the Angels fly.
                  Go to a Lake of Fire and fry.
                  See em' again til' the 4th of July.

I knew a lady who came from Duluth,
                  Bitten by a dog with a rabid tooth,
                  She went to her grave just a little too soon,
                  flew away howling on the yellow moon

Where do bad folks go when they die.

People cry, people moan.
                  Look for a dry place to call their home.
                  Try to find some place to rest their bones.
                  While the Angels and the Devils try to make THEM their own.

Where do bad folks go when they die.

-RBB

Comment

I guess the next step for the Nats is to invite the Rabbis over for a ham dinner this Saturday.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:
                    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

QUOTE(thetorch @ Sep 21 2005, 02:14 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(jhanke @ Sep 21 2005, 07:51 AM) Quoted post

Moon
                      [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Catholics are cool with Jews because the church has been ransacked by zionists and communists. Most protestants believe Jews are separate from Christians. In some cases they nearly worship them as deities but then also believe that most of them die a terrible death during Armegeddon. The rest believe since they don't believe in Jesus as their savior they are damned. Anybody stop to ask the rabbi what happens to christians when they die? His answer would be much more interesting.
                      [/b][/quote]

He'd probably tell you that it's really not a big deal since Jews don't believe in hell.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor:
                      Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                      The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                      Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Sep 21 2005, 06:07 AM) Quoted post

Don't Christians believe that anyone who doesn't accept Jesus Christ as their savior will not receive salvation on death?

Moon
                        [/b][/quote]
                        Not this "Christian".
                        --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                        --Suck it cubbies.
                        --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

This was the exact quote by young Ryan Church:

An article in Sunday's paper about Baseball Chapel quoted Church as saying that he had turned to Moeller for advice about his former girlfriend, who was Jewish. "I said, like, Jewish people, they don't believe in Jesus. Does that mean they're doomed? Jon nodded, like, that's what it meant. My ex-girlfriend! I was like, man, if they only knew. Other religions don't know any better. It's up to us to spread the word," Church said.
                          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Good for Church
                            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Well, yeah. He's not Ryan Synagogue.

Comment

Working...
                              X