X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonds: Congress wasting it's time on steroids

Bonds: Congress wasting its time with steroid inquiry
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- In the nation's capital on his first road trip of 2005, Barry Bonds questioned why Congress, the media and fans continue to talk about steroids.

"I think we have other issues in this country to worry about that are a lot more serious. I think you guys should direct your efforts into taking care of that," the San Francisco Giants slugger said Tuesday before facing the Washington Nationals. "Talk about the athletes that are helping Katrina. Ask yourselves how much money y'all personally donated and have helped."

Asked whether Congress was wasting time by looking into steroid use in sports, Bonds responded: "Pretty much, I think so. Yeah."

Several congressional committees have held hearings on drug testing in pro sports, and legislation has been proposed to standardize leagues' drug policies.

"You know what? There are still other issues that are more important," Bonds said. "Right now, people are losing lives, don't have homes, I think that's a little more serious. A lot more serious."

Told of Bonds' comments, Dave Marin, a spokesman for House Government Reform Committee chairman Tom Davis, R-Va., said: "Members of Congress, particularly Tom Davis, can walk and chew gum at the same time."

Congressional investigators from that committee are looking into whether Baltimore Orioles slugger Rafael Palmeiro lied under oath about steroid use and are interviewing other players who know Palmeiro.

Bonds has not been contacted.

"Raffy Palmeiro and I are good friends and we will stay continually good friends. Period. And I will always have respect for him as a person and a player, regardless," Bonds said.

Bonds, booed throughout Tuesday's game, hit his 706th homer in the fourth inning.

As the ball arched toward the stands, fans who moments earlier were booing rose to cheer. Bonds was booed when his name was announced during pregame introductions, booed when he stepped into the on-deck circle, and booed when he went out to play left field.

"I've been tarnished for being in baseball for years and years. There's nothing you guys can write or people can say that's going to fix that. It doesn't matter any more. I go out there and enjoy the game," he said.

It was Bonds' third homer of 2005, and it came in his 18th at-bat. Out all season after three knee operations, he returned to the Giants on Sept. 12.[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

The Giants will be in town this weekend, and I'll go down to Coors because Barry's in the lineup. I probably wouldn't go if he wasn't. Was waiting on a Bonds thread to admit that.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Hate to say it, but fucko has a point, even if it's a self-serving one. It blows my mind that there has been no Congressional investigation into the "intelligence" that led us into the Iraq war, or the Valerie Plame scandal, but they are all over Rafael Palmeiro's ass.
      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Sep 20 2005, 10:31 PM) Quoted post

The Giants will be in town this weekend, and I'll be a paying customer because Barry's in the lineup. I probably wouldn't go if he wasn't. Was waiting on a Bonds thread to admit that.
        [/b][/quote]

And you'll get to see a cheater who uses illegal chemicals to boost his performance. Some people like you don't give a damn. But some folks like me do. Personally, I wouldn't pay to watch the guy because everything he's done in the last 6 to 8 years has been a charade.
        *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 20 2005, 09:36 PM) Quoted post

The Giants will be in town this weekend, and I'll be a paying customer because Barry's in the lineup. I probably wouldn't go if he wasn't. Was waiting on a Bonds thread to admit that.
          [/b][/quote]

And you'll get to see a cheater who uses illegal chemicals to boost his performance. Some people like you don't give a damn. But some folks like me do. Personally, I wouldn't pay to watch the guy because everything he's done in the last 6 to 8 years has been a charade.
          [/b][/quote]

People like me? Sorry you take it personally that I'll pay to watch Bonds. He's a hell of a player. Please give me an exact list of players that are/were dirty just in case I want to boycott them.
          Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

He does have a point. There are far more important things than steriods.

However, in the immortal words of Mark McGwire....steriods...is bad.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(bombay @ Sep 20 2005, 10:38 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 20 2005, 09:36 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

People like me? Sorry you take it personally that I'll pay to watch Bonds. He's a hell of a player. Please give me an exact list of players that are/were dirty so I can boycott them.
              [/b][/quote]
              Fax me a copy when you get it...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Barry is a bitch. He can pretty much go fuck himself.

Ha. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                --Suck it cubbies.
                --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 20 2005, 11:40 PM) Quoted post

He does have a point. There are far more important things than steriods.

However, in the immortal words of Mark McGwire....steriods...is bad.
                  [/b][/quote]

Mark would like if you would not talk about the past.

Comment

for someone who doesn't like the press, he sure does open his mouth wide

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 20 2005, 10:36 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Dhaab,

I don't care if you put a gallon of holy water blessed by The Almighty into your system, you still couldn't jack 706 Major League HRs. Neither could I.

And that's the silly thing about booing McGwire and Bonds or taking it the point where you'll boycott their games. Certainly, one can find their behavior distasteful, egregious, whatever you want to call it. I agree. But steroids alone didn't give these guys over 500 HRs. They're still amazing ball players.

What troubles me even more, honestly, than McGwire's lies is the more insidious behavior of the institution -- how MLB certainly stood behind him and others when they were bringing the crowds into the park, and now throw them out in a belated attempt to show "steroids are bad."

So let me get this straight, Bud: they're only condemned when they're no longer lining wallets after the strike? Who else was juiced during that time period? We'll never know, but we have Sosa, Bonds and McGwire taking one for the team. What a travesty that is, an even larger one and more damning than whatever personal human failings happened upon Mark McGwire.
                      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Sep 20 2005, 08:43 PM) Quoted post

Barry is a bitch. He can pretty much go fuck himself.

Ha. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                        [/b][/quote]

++

/thread
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

How long can Barry go hitting a home run every 6 times at bat, while testing clean for steroids, until a different opinion about him emerges.

715? 756? 800? never?
                          v

Comment

So it took Bonds this long to say something instead of saying it earlier (like when he was NOT playing but when he is on the field is when he says something).
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(kjoe @ Sep 21 2005, 12:09 AM) Quoted post

How long can Barry go hitting a home run every 6 times at bat, while testing clean for steroids, until a different opinion about him emerges.

715? 756? 800? never?
                              [/b][/quote]

That would be "never". 41-year-old human beings don't hit home runs once every six times at bat, not without help. People would think the same thing about a track star that ran the 100-yard-dash in 8 seconds.
                              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X