Slaten's history....at least the stuff I could find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaten's history....at least the stuff I could find

Kevin Slaten is a miserable human being.

How anyone can take his side in this latest embarrassing situation is beyond me.

He's alienated half the media members in this town. And no, most of them aren't the shills he proclaims them to be. Some of them have integrity and just grow tired of his juvenile, unprofessional histrionics. They choose to refuse to associate with him, or work with him. And I don't blame them.

My personal opinion is that he's bitter and jealous because his reputation has excluded him from the better play-by-play gigs. He's a fill in for the off Big-12 games, NFL Europe, and the occasional NFL pre-season game.

In all fairness, he's above average.

But his history has obliterated all chances of greatness he once might have owned.

Cases in point:

He's been fired or let go from more than his share of jobs.

He mercilessly hounded Channel 5 Weatherman Bob Richards during his very public marital problems in 1995. Richards later committed suicide in a bizarre plane accident at Spirit of St. Louis Airport.

He challenged Randy Karraker to a fight after a heated debate on a local Sunday night sports show.

He's gained legendary infamous status as a total asshole during many of his son's high school basketball games.

He was kicked out of several of those games.

I couldn't find actual documents on the internet to absolutely verify those incidents, but I've heard enough personal accounts to believe that they're as close to fact as you can get without getting them on tape.

Here are some more concrete nuggets from the archive:

From the Feb. 23, 1994 P-D:

Two women who had said radio personality Kevin Slaten assaulted them last weekend dropped their complaint against him Tuesday.

Police identified the women as Slaten's wife and a friend. They told authorities that they would not pursue the matter, said Rock Hill Police Chief Don McDonald. Slaten was arrested on suspicion of assault in an incident Friday night at the Trainwreck Saloon, 9243 Manchester Road.

Slaten is host to a talk show on KFNS (590 AM), an all-sports station. The station has taken him off the air, with pay, while it reviews the incident, said Bob Burch, operations manager for the station.

Slaten, 39, is on two years' probation for a felony assault conviction in September in St. Louis. The city circuit attorney's office said it would inform the court of Friday's incident to see if it warrants revoking his probation. McDonald said the women told police that Slaten had grabbed his wife by the arm and pulled her outside. The friend followed and tried to intervene, and Slaten grabbed her by the throat, McDonald said.

"Both women signed the complaint and indicated they wanted him prosecuted for assault," McDonald said. "But they changed their minds, so we don't have much of a case."

The September conviction stemmed from an incident in November 1992 in The Arena parking lot. Slaten was charged with hitting Gregg Cumberledge and Catherine Welker after Slaten and Cumberledge were involved in a car accident. Slaten opened Cumberledge's door and began punching him in the face. When Welker tried to intervene, Slaten punched her.

Circuit Judge Michael B. Calvin declined to send Slaten to prison - prosecutors asked for a five-year term - because it was his first conviction. If Slaten completes probation successfully, he will have no conviction on his record.

Circuit Attorney Dee Joyce Hayes said Monday that she was disappointed Slaten was not sent to prison in September. "He should have done some time," she said. "We felt rather strongly about the case we had down here."

################################################## ##################

When is the last time you saw the public address announcer swing at a member of the visiting team and/or get thrown out of a game? It happened Friday night at the Checkerdome when the Steamers beat Buffalo, 6-4, in a Major Indoor Soccer League playoff game. Kevin Slaten, the Steamers' public address announcer, tried to punch John Dolinsky when the Stallions' forward arrived in the penalty box to serve a holding infraction shortly before halftime. Referee Heinz Wolmerath promptly pulled a red card, signalling Slaten's ejection. "The announcer was ejected for violent contact with a player and for using foul and abusive language," Wolmerath said after the game.

"He was ejected for violent contact against a player, nothing else," alternate referee Dan Goldmann revised the wording of his colleague's statement. "He (Slaten) deliberately punched a player and used language not tolerable," Wolmerath said. "It was bad manners. He made a verbal attack and then a physical attack. An announcer has to be neutral. He cannot be partial." "The field referee came up to me before the game and told me, 'I hear you're a good announcer but you've got to be impartial,'" said Slaten, who is known for his flamboyant delivery at Steamers' games. "I told him, 'I'd like you to be fair,'" Wolmerath said. "The guests have a right to be treated honestly." Said Slaten: "After I made a couple of calls, the referee came over and told me, 'You can't be partial.' I told him, 'You're not my boss. I work for the Steamers.' When Dolinsky came into the penalty box, he told me, 'You're the worst (blank) announcer in the league.' I told him, 'Sit down, you're the guys who gave (Steamers defender Greg) Makowski the cheap shot that knocked him out for the season.' He said, '(Blankety-blank)' and I went after him with a right to the jaw."

Dolinsky said Slaten's punch never landed. "If I didn't think they'd give the Steamers a two-minute penalty, they'd have had to drag me out," Slaten said. Dolinsky said, "He (Slaten) kept taunting me, wanting me to lose my cool. He wanted me to fight, but I just laughed at him and he couldn't handle that." The Buffalo player denied that he swore at Slaten. "I never swear," Dolinsky said. "I have a better vocabulary than that. As I went to the box, he said something to me and I told him what I thought of him as an announcer." Dolinsky said Friday's incident was his first skirmish with a public address announcer. "My first skirmish with anyone," the Buffalo player said. "I play the game." Eddie Olson, a minor official who was stationed in the penalty box at the time of th incident, said Dolinsky's epithets angered Slaten. "The player called Kevin a (blank-blank) homer. When Kevin said something back, I told him to calm down. When the player called him something, Kevin jumped him." Another minor official, Tom Crawford, corroborated Olson's account of the dialogue between the two principals.

Goldmann said Slaten began baiting Dolinsky as soon as he reached the penalty box. "The player probably finally said something," Goldmann said. Probably? "I couldn't hear him," explained Goldmann, who did hear Slaten. "He (Slaten) told the field referee, 'You're a (blank blank blank),'" Goldmann said, adding that both he and his colleague will file reports of the incident to the league office. "I'm sure somebody will teach him (Slaten) a lesson," Wolmerath said, "and he's young enough to learn." Steamers General Manager Mike Sanger, who met privately with the two referees for 10 minutes immediately after the game, refused to comment. "I'm still sorting out the details," Sanger said.

It's hard to take either side.

Slaten and Savard are both tools.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Slaten and Savard are both tools.[/b][/quote]

Savard is a marginal talent.

Considering the alternatives, I watch his sportscasts.

He's OK.

As far as personal reputation and criminal record, however, I'll take Savard's side in this incident.

Slaten accused Hadley and Savard of somehow setting up this whole thing.

I find that hard to believe.

Truly.

Kevin seems to thrive on "factual things."

That accusation is just plain ridiculous.

Comment

Seve is every bit the piece of shit that Slaten is if not more.
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Seve is every bit the piece of shit that Slaten is if not more.[/b][/quote]

Tell me why.

Comment

I'll remind everyone how this whole thing started with Savard.

Slaten was calling out Jack Snow for being a homer on the air one day at the end of last football season. Actually, he wasn't calling out Snow - he was calling out Mike Martz and the Rams in general. Jack Snow called in on the air and made some childish comments before hanging up. During this call, there was someone in the background agging Snow on. Slaten found out a few days later it was Savard. That's how all this started. Slaten said at the time he was ambushed by his fellow employee on the air and his lapdog, and he would never forget that.

Slaten is an entertainer to me. I don't know him personally so I don't care what has happened in his personal life.

Comment

Slaten is an entertainer to me. I don't know him personally so I don't care what has happened in his personal life.[/b][/quote]

Wow.

Fair enough.

That's your opinion.

But it's the laziest, most irresponsible opionion I've ever read here.

If spousal abuse, public drunkenness, assault, and battery (not to mention general obnoxiousness) are your idea of entertainment, then I guess that's just you.

Comment

QUOTE(chazzz @ Sep 20 2005, 09:15 PM) Quoted post

I'll remind everyone how this whole thing started with Savard.

Slaten was calling out Jack Snow for being a homer on the air one day at the end of last football season. Actually, he wasn't calling out Snow - he was calling out Mike Martz and the Rams in general. Jack Snow called in on the air and made some childish comments before hanging up. During this call, there was someone in the background agging Snow on. Slaten found out a few days later it was Savard. That's how all this started. Slaten said at the time he was ambushed by his fellow employee on the air and his lapdog, and he would never forget that.

Slaten is an entertainer to me. I don't know him personally so I don't care what has happened in his personal life.
                [/b][/quote]
                All of that is interesting (b/c I didn't know how it originated) but none of it affects what I think about Slaten. He's more than an entertainer to me. He's a fucking dickhead. A major asshole. A super-sized douchebag. He's a piece of shit. He's all that to me and I've never met him. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and I wonder why his wife (and friend) dropped the suit?

Savard does sound like bitch as well, I'm just not that familiar with him.
                --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                --Suck it cubbies.
                --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE(The Skeptic @ Sep 20 2005, 10:43 PM) Quoted post

Slaten is an entertainer to me. I don't know him personally so I don't care what has happened in his personal life.[/b][/quote]

Wow.

Fair enough.

That's your opinion.

But it's the laziest, most irresponsible opionion I've ever read here.

If spousal abuse, public drunkenness, assault, and battery (not to mention general obnoxiousness) are your idea of entertainment, then I guess that's just you.
                  [/b][/quote]

And this is the kind of post that makes you the sanctimonious prick you are. Just can't help it, eh?

Good informative thread starter. I actually took your ass off ignore to read it.

Slaten's shtick is to get ratings. That's what he does. I don't find it particualry entertaining but many people do or he wouldn't be in the afternoon drive time slot with KFNS. I've met him in person. He was nice enough. I have heard before he made a nuisance of himself at his son's games.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Savard may not have much credibility, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to have less credibility than Slaten. Impossible.

Completely useless.

Comment

I think you're wrong about Slaten. I'll admit sometimes he carries things a bit too far, but your characterization of him is a bit off. Kevin tells the truth, and the fact is in todays society many people can't handle the truth. In this backstabbing passive aggressive society of today, some people just can't deal with it. The assault charges with the woman in 1994 was with his wife, and she was/is nuts. A real wacko, why do you think Kevin got custody of Troy. The incident at the areana was started by the other guy and when he got his ass kicked, he filed charges. A lot of media in this town hate him, but do so because he disrupts their status quo of getting freebies and a free ride for not disrupting things. The fact is most of the media idiots we have in this town couldn't hack it somewhere else. If you want to discredit Slaten, please do so with other people besides Savard, Jack Snow, Randy Karraker, John Hadley, and others. Those asshats will never get my sympathy. Try listening to Kevin real objectively and evaluate what he says as truth or not. I think you might be surprised.
                      I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

QUOTE(kconn @ Sep 20 2005, 10:55 PM) Quoted post

Savard may not have much credibility, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to have less credibility than Slaten. Impossible.

Completely useless.
                        [/b][/quote]
                        and it's september!

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(StlJoe @ Sep 20 2005, 10:55 PM) Quoted post

I think you're wrong about Slaten. I'll admit sometimes he carries things a bit too far, but your characterization of him is a bit off. Kevin tells the truth, and the fact is in todays society many people can't handle the truth. In this backstabbing passive aggressive society of today, some people just can't deal with it. The assault charges with the woman in 1994 was with his wife, and she was/is nuts. A real wacko, why do you think Kevin got custody of Troy. The incident at the areana was started by the other guy and when he got his ass kicked, he filed charges. A lot of media in this town hate him, but do so because he disrupts their status quo of getting freebies and a free ride for not disrupting things. The fact is most of the media idiots we have in this town couldn't hack it somewhere else. If you want to discredit Slaten, please do so with other people besides Savard, Jack Snow, Randy Karraker, John Hadley, and others. Those asshats will never get my sympathy. Try listening to Kevin real objectively and evaluate what he says as truth or not. I think you might be surprised.
                          [/b][/quote]

Tsk, tsk...how lazy and irresponsible you are.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

...but it is IMPOSSIBLE to have less credibility than Slaten.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            1. Hadley has far less credibility than Slaten.
                            2. Slaten never claimed to play in the NFL, Savard has.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Sep 20 2005, 11:58 PM) Quoted post

...but it is IMPOSSIBLE to have less credibility than Slaten.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              1. Hadley has far less credibility than Slaten.
                              2. Slaten never claimed to play in the NFL, Savard has.
                              [/b][/quote]

Obviously, this is completely subjective, but I occasionally believe something I hear come out of Hadley's mouth.

Same for Savard.

Never with Slaten.

Comment

Working...
                              X