Cards lineup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards lineup question

Sorry if this has been discussed, but does it make sense for Lankford to bat 2nd and Sanders to bat 7th? Why not bat Sanders 2nd, giving us a better R-L balance throughout the lineup. I can't imagine Sanders would strike out more than Lankford. I don't think Lankford has any more speed at his age. Opinions?
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

I would guess that La Russa gave some thought to batting Sanders second---he fills the criteria of having a guy with some power in the #2 spot.

Maybe they figure Lankford will strike out less than Sanders. The stories I saw about him seemed to indicate that perhaps his swing is more controlled than it used to be. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 5 2004, 07:40 AM
      I would guess that La Russa gave some thought to batting Sanders second
      Not sure how comforting that is :(
      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

A good baseball question -- and one that should elicit some responses =]

I hate getting caught up in the L-R balance issue. Unless you have a row of lefthanders together, I don't think its that big of an issue, at least not what some make it out to be, TLR included.

That said, I really dislike Sanders in the 7 hole. For a variety of reasons:
        -- The guy will never get anything to hit in that position
        -- He strikes out enough as it is, why give him fewer good pitches to hit?

Now, should Lankford be in the 7 spot? Probably not. But I don't like Sanders there either.

Honestly, three weeks ago I thought our lineup should look something like this...

Lankford
        Sanders
        Edmonds
        Pujols
        Rolen
        Renteria
        Matheny
        Hart/Anderson
        P
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I understand La Russa's thinking on this. Not sure I agree or disagree with it, but I understand it.

I would guess that a healthy J.D. Drew would have been the ideal #2 hitter in a La Russa lineup--power and speed. Hopefully, that's what Lankford will bring.
          I'm always right.

Comment

Kaiser, I would have loved to have seen Sanders batting two.

He'd have seen lots of good pitches there to hit, what with Albert hitting behind him.

That could have led to a monster year, whereas I see him being a "disappointment" in the 7 hole.

I for one do subscribe to the idea that a player's postion in the order has an impact on their numbers.
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Winston, interesting lineup. I had not thought of putting Lankford and Sanders together at the top of the order.

I take it that even though Womack is now on the team, you would still advocate the same lineup with Womack hitting 8th?
              I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Apr 5 2004, 07:44 AM
                A good baseball question -- and one that should elicit some responses =]

I hate getting caught up in the L-R balance issue. Unless you have a row of lefthanders together, I don't think its that big of an issue, at least not what some make it out to be, TLR included.

That said, I really dislike Sanders in the 7 hole. For a variety of reasons:
                -- The guy will never get anything to hit in that position
                -- He strikes out enough as it is, why give him fewer good pitches to hit?

Now, should Lankford be in the 7 spot? Probably not. But I don't like Sanders there either.

Honestly, three weeks ago I thought our lineup should look something like this...

Lankford
                Sanders
                Edmonds
                Pujols
                Rolen
                Renteria
                Matheny
                Hart/Anderson
                P
                No way would I want 2, non-contact hitters leading the game off. I'm not convinced Lankford will even be a starter a month from now so none of this may matter.

I think it is very important to have a good L-R balance in the linuep. I don't think it matter for the first 6 innings, but after that, I think it's good to make the other team use as many pitchers as possible. What if they use 3 pitchers for one out to get the best R-L matchup and the game goes 13 innings, they run out of pitchers. If it's possible, I think the effort should be made, but I realize sometimes it's not possible.

Comment

Even with the Ks, Ray always got on base. I suspect that's a large part of it as well.

Unless Sanders does, too, in which case just pretend I didn't post this.

Comment

That's a good question and I'm not really sure.

Given his anemic OBP in recent years, I'm not sold on him being our leadoff hitter.

He seems to be another Vina.

I really like the idea of this "improved" Lankford as a leadoff guy. He has always has solid OBP numbers, even when he was striking out like a little leaguer. He has proven that he can still run -- perhaps better than the past few years.

It would provide Sanders with pitches to hit and give us a top-heavy lineup but with the speed at the end that TLR likes.

No matter the lineup, I think Matheny does less damage TO the Cardinals in the 7 spot than he does the 8. Even though it would mean Edgar doesn't get pitches to hit.

There is no perfect lineup -- even for the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Apr 5 2004, 07:52 AM
                      Even with the Ks, Ray always got on base. I suspect that's a large part of it as well.

Unless Sanders does, too, in which case just pretend I didn't post this.
                      Ray's career OBP is about 20 points higher and they strike out with about the same frequency, 27% of the time for Ray, 26% for Sanders. Those are career numbers though, I'd assume Sanders has been better over the last 3 years played. I see them as pretty much being equal, so if everything is equal, why not try for R-L balance?

Comment

I agree with whoever above that as long as you're not hitting three lefties in a row -- and Tony would kill puppies before that would happen -- the balance is overrated. Although I do admit I'm surprised to see four RHers in a row.

I'd rather not see Ray hit in the middle of the lineup. Been there, done that, and it's just not necessary with the sticks we have.

Comment

Well, he's going to be batting second for now, you agree with that?

Comment

So, are the 2B choices now Anderson & Womak? I thought Hart was sent to AAA.

Comment

Yes. And Luna is in the mix, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X