Mizzou on TV vs. Texas on 10/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mizzou on TV vs. Texas on 10/1

Sigh. Talk about a buzzkill. I might have to go down there the night before now.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

What time do they usually start? You wouldn't like the Big Ten...

Comment

what channel is it on?
      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Sep 20 2005, 10:45 AM) Quoted post

what channel is it on?
        [/b][/quote]

ABC
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Sep 20 2005, 10:44 AM) Quoted post

What time do they usually start? You wouldn't like the Big Ten...
          [/b][/quote]

I was hoping ABC would make it the 2:30 game. That's perfect.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 20 2005, 10:42 AM) Quoted post

Sigh. Talk about a buzzkill. I might have to go down there the night before now.
            [/b][/quote]
            Just get up and throw on the Mudcats hat. Don't worry about the hair products. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Sep 20 2005, 11:09 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Sep 20 2005, 10:42 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              Just get up and throw on the Mudcats hat. Don't worry about the hair products. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
              [/b][/quote]

lol

Why you bustin my flavuh?

I gots to look purty.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

On InsideStL.com McKernan wrote a pretty good article on the terrible Big 12 TV contract that might provide some insight over why this game starts so early and why it was such a struggle to get it televised:

http://www.insidestl.com/index.php?storyid=17

The Joke That Is The Big 12 TV Contract
                - Written by Tim McKernan
                - September 6, 2005

Brad Smith had 412 yards of total offense.

My guess is that he played well.

And, my guess is that your guess is he played well.

Why are we all guessing?

Because unless you were one of the 32,500 people at the game in Kansas City, you didn’t see it.

The game wasn’t on TV.

... just like this Saturday’s game won’t be on TV.

... and, the following Saturday’s game.

The Tigers will play 10 more games this year, and as things stand right now, not one of those games is scheduled to be televised.

Can you believe that?

It’s 2005, and you still can’t watch Missouri play on television.

They may be on TV. They may not. It depends on whether their game is chosen to be broadcast by Fox Sports, ABC, or TBS.

But, we know this: they won’t be on TV any time in September, and barring a miraculous season, the majority of Missouri’s 11 games will not be televised.

The reason?

The Big 12 TV contract.

People wonder why there’s so little interest in college football in the St. Louis area, and I, without hesitation, point to the Big 12 TV contract.

How can you build a following among younger fans who know nothing of the program’s past glory when they can’t watch the games on TV?

Here’s the deal…

When The Big 12 formed 10 years ago, the conference agreed to a television contract that was about as fair as a contract signed by a local weekend sportscaster.

Obviously, there are 12 schools in the conference. But, the contract that the schools agreed to only allows three games per Saturday to be televised. Therefore, at the very most each Saturday, only 6 Big 12 schools can be seen on TV. And, when you consider that for the entire first month of the season most schools are playing non-conference games, that means at the most, only 3 Big 12 schools are televised on Saturdays.

The schedule allows for Fox Sports to carry a game at 11:30, ABC Regional to carry a game at 2:30, and Fox Sports or TBS to carry a game at 6.

That’s it.

'After all, not only would fans like to watch the games on TV, but if you’re trying to recruit, it makes it even more difficult.'
                And, that’s all that there can be.

People ask the question: Well, why can’t a Missouri Sports Network-type operation broadcast the games to local affiliates around the state?

Very fair question.

But, when the conference signed the contract a decade ago, the TV networks wanted a clause guaranteeing “exclusivity.”

In other words, from the time the first game kicks off at 11:30 in the morning to the time the 6:00 game comes to an end---around 9:00 to 9:30 at night---no other Big 12 schools can be on TV.

So, if Missouri wants to be on TV on a Saturday, the Tigers need to kick off the game at around 8 in the morning or 10 at night.

That, in and of itself, is absolutely brutal.

After all, not only would fans like to watch the games on TV, but if you’re trying to recruit, it makes it even more difficult.

For example, say there’s a high school player who’s being recruited by both Missouri and Illinois. Whereas he’ll have to travel to Columbia to watch the Tigers play, odds are that he’ll be able to watch Illinois play on TV.

The Big 10 doesn’t have the exclusivity clause in its TV contract that the Big 12 has. So, not only could the Illini show up on ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC, they could also be on TV on ESPNU or ESPN Plus...even if another Big 10 game is being televised at the same time on another station.

So, in the first three weekends of the 2005 college football season, 19 Big 10 games will be on TV. 13 Big 12 games will be on TV.

That’s a 31 percent difference AND, in order for the Kansas State-Marshall game on the 17th to be on the air, the game is starting at 9:30...IN THE MORNING.

And, the Colorado-New Mexico State game that same day will start at 9 p.m.

In other words, 19 of the 30 games played by Big 12 teams in the first three weekends of the season will either not be televised or be played at absurdly random hours.

To be blunt, that’s flat out stupid.

And, as bad as that is, the above junk isn’t even the worst part of it.

The Big 12 TV contract, unlike the vast majority of other power conferences’ contracts, doesn’t mandate revenue sharing.

In other words, the 12 schools split half of the TV money evenly. But, the other half is paid out based on television appearances.

And, when you’re talking about literally hundreds of thousands of dollars per TV appearance, there’s a chasm of economic disparity.

Over the course of this contract, schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas State, and Texas A & M have made millions more than schools like Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and well, Missouri.

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

But you know what? When it gets down to it, the financial issues don’t mean a whole lot to most of us. Hell, you probably didn’t even know about it until just now.

But, you do know that you can’t watch Missouri on TV most games.

The guy sitting around on a Saturday doesn’t care about revenue sharing; he just wants to watch his team play on TV. But, he can’t.

It was one thing 20 years ago when the technology either wasn’t there or it was too expensive to justify a telecast. But, now, there’s no excuse for it.

Fans of Missouri football are victims of greed and stupidity. [/b][/quote]
                You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

In general, I can't argue with ABC as far as the UT game.

But yes, it sucks for tailgating, and YES, the big 12 TV contract effing blows.
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

I'll be there.
                    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I

guess

McKernan

has

never

heard

of

paragraphs.

Comment

well shit that sucks
                        Sponsor of:
                        Brian Elliott
                        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Dvy,

You'll have to start drinking several days in advance to make it through that beatdown.
                          The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

For those brave souls that will endeavor in the face of this travesty, we need to get tailgating info sorted soon. Maybe next week.

Comment

It's going to be ugly. You'd want to leave by maybe ... 7 or 7:30? Yikes.

I might spend the night down there on Friday, not sure. That was not the original plan.
                              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X