Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Post-Mortem

The Good

-Stephen Jackson is a freaking study when he gets a little room. His pause-cutback move on the sweep today was a thing of beauty. It boggles the mind why a coach who wanted to "get him 25-30 carries" still only ran him 20 times.

-Issac and Tory. Except for one dropped pass by Tory, these two are the consumate professionals. They show up and take care of business.

-Did we really see some semblance of line play today? We gave up a couple of ugly sacks, but by-and-large they did a good job of blocking some decent Cardinal's offensive linemen. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing if we can keep Saipia out there and gain him some experience. He got beat a couple of times, but by a guy who was a Pro Bowler. He looked 100 times better than Grant Wil...er...Rex Tucker.

-Speaking of line play, how about those defensive linemen? Little, Kennedy, and Pickett made the Cardinals offensive line look like the worst in the NFL. Now, they're not awesome...but there is some talent on that line and our guys were good enough to get pressure without a lot of blitzing. The three DTs who get serious time all did really well today.

-Still speaking of line play, we had another very good day against the run...even though the safeties weren't near the line. I'm starting to think we won't get gouged constantly...just occassionally...on the ground.

-I hate Martz and co., but I'll give them credit this week. The game plan was solid (even if some of the in-game execution wasn't perfect). The defense actually seemed to adjust a little at halftime and *gasp* improve a little. Also, the decision to put more vets on special teams seemed to pay off today. Other than weird calls in the fourth quarter, the coach did alright -- I didn't even mind either challenge. They were reasonable enough, in my book.

-Cory Ivey deserves more playing time. He's not spectacular, but he's solid.

-Holy hell, we didn't have any huge blunders on special teams...other than the call back. I can live with that if we'll wrap up and and contain like we did today.

The Bad

-Not the best game we've ever seen from my boy Bulger. He wasn't terrible and he was good enough to win, but his accuracy was not what it needs to be. He still can get rattled by pressure too much. But, to his credit, he did some nice hot route passing and his low completion rate wasn't completely his fault because...

-...the wide receivers dropped a lot of passes in the first half. I swear there were six or seven catchable balls that weren't pulled in. This happened last week too. These guys need to concentrate more.

-Martz seemed to forget about the run for the last half of the 3rd quarter and the first half of the 4th. Its so irritating. If we had given Jackson the ball 25 times, this game wouldn't have been close and the passing game would've been a lot better.

-Four sacks are still too many. The offensive line still gets rattled by over-flow blitzes, worse than they should be getting rattled. Denny Green looks like a tool for not blitzing more; its been obvious that's how to beat us since Warner's heyday passed us.

-We still saw a handful of series where our defense didn't wrap up. We've got to wrap up.

-After thinking about it some, Marmie's decent coaching yesterday was marred by his stubborness in the fourth quarter. What took so long to call a blitz?

The Ugly

-Not a whole lot "ugly" today...other than our secondary. The safeties didn't make any huge mistakes, but the corner backs didn't effectively play their zones. I know Arizona's got a great receiving corp and a decent QB (I thought he looked good when he was holding on to the ball), but we need these guys to play better.

-The ST play that was called back...hideous. Like I said, I can live with that...but hideous.

-Poor offensive play calling DID almost lose us the game, but thank god the Cardinals are more inept than us.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

*bump* for the afternoon crowd
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Stephen Jackson is a freaking study when he gets a little room. [/b][/quote]

Moon

Comment

Is it just me, or did Orlando Pace look AWFUL yesterday?
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Sep 19 2005, 11:23 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I didn't think so. The one sack from that side of the line came when Willig was subbing in. But Pace did have the flu or something, according to today's P-D.

Comment

I think Marmie's decison to blitz was quite well timed.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 19 2005, 11:29 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Sep 19 2005, 11:23 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I didn't think so. The one sack from that side of the line came when Willig was subbing in. But Pace did have the flu or something, according to today's P-D.
              [/b][/quote]

I hope it was just illness, because he got beat on several occasions.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

For me -

It's hard to support the Rams with the media issues. I would like to see them address those things win or lose. My comments on the game are this.

We are a 500 team right now - but we look a little better than last year if we can continue or home dominance. Winning any road game is crucial for this team. But we aren't much better because we really should have beat the 49ers.
                Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

What took so long to call a blitz?[/b][/quote]

I was practically screaming at the television.....BLITZ!

Since the Cardinals HAD to score a TD they played it conservative on the last drive...until the Cardinals were on the freaking 5!!!

However any win on the road in the NFL is golden. So...that's all the bitching I will do today. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Note to Martz....give da ball to SJ!
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

The Rams ran the ball 22 times While the cardinals ran only 16. Denny Green and his quesionable play calling and abandonment of the run must go.

Comment

QUOTE(hhp @ Sep 19 2005, 01:28 PM) Quoted post

The Rams ran the ball 22 times While the cardinals ran only 16. Denny Green and his quesionable play calling and abandonment of the run must go.
                      [/b][/quote]

He doesn't have a Stephen Jackson...or even a Marshall Faulk and a has a patchwork O-line to boot.

I can see why he would pass nearly every down.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

You've almost run out of your stupid post quota. Be careful you don't use them all in the first two weeks, because they don't give you more.

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 19 2005, 01:54 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

You've almost run out of your stupid post quota. Be careful you don't use them all in the first two weeks, because they don't give you more.
                          [/b][/quote]

Well, I contend that people just like to b*tch. When the Rams lost last week 71 posts of b*tching. When the Rams win....11 posts, 2 by me. Its too easy to just be negative all the time....unless they are all over in the rams press conference topic

Comment

QUOTE(hhp @ Sep 19 2005, 04:03 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 19 2005, 01:54 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Well, I contend that people just like to b*tch. When the Rams lost last week 71 posts of b*tching. When the Rams win....11 posts, 2 by me. Its too easy to just be negative all the time....unless they are all over in the rams press conference topic
                            [/b][/quote]

Negativity on this board -- no way People blame Martz for everything. It's gotten to be like the democrats with Bush. He gets virtually no credit for any victory he's ever gotten and gets all blame for any loss. He even gets blamed when we don't win by 25. It's become comical to me. I know exactly what to expect when I read this board after a game. For some reason people expect this team to go 16-0 every year. They still think this team is the 99-01 teams. Expect the same every week from this crowd. It's completely irrational.

Comment

QUOTE(tigernumbe @ Sep 19 2005, 05:30 PM) Quoted post

Negativity on this board -- no way People blame Martz for everything. It's gotten to be like the democrats with Bush. He gets virtually no credit for any victory he's ever gotten and gets all blame for any loss. He even gets blamed when we don't win by 25. It's become comical to me. I know exactly what to expect when I read this board after a game. For some reason people expect this team to go 16-0 every year. They still think this team is the 99-01 teams. Expect the same every week from this crowd. It's completely irrational.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              Thanks for taking the time to grace us w/ your presence...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                              X