Importance of special teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of special teams

I've come to really appreciate the importance of special teams since Martz has fielded a pathetic group throughout his tenure.

Unfortuantely, I consider the Rams special teams to be successful if they don't "screw" up. They didn't today.

Last week the Rams flat out dominated the 49ers. Twice as many rushing yards, twice as many passing yards, twice as many first downs, twice the time of possesion, and twice as many turnovers created. Look at the box score you think the Rams win by 35 points. Special teams were flat out horrendous and it leads to 21 second quarter points --- which is why they lost.

Today you could argue that Arizona outplayed the Rams. Although it was close to even. Arizona is better than San Fran. But the special teams played reasonably well --- very well on the coverage units. You get a win.

I think the offense hasn't met my preseason expectations and the defense (particularly run defense) has exceeded my expectations. I'm not concerned about the offense as I think it will get clicking. The defense my be more forgiving against a better back. I think this team will be good if it can get solid special teams play --- or just not screw up.

McDonald makes good decisions on special teams.

He's a bright spot.
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Any game where the special teams don't commit a huge gaffe and the Rams hold the other team below 100 yards rushing is probably a winnable game
      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Sep 18 2005, 07:31 PM) Quoted post

McDonald makes good decisions on special teams.

He's a bright spot.
        [/b][/quote]

Since i've seen us drop so many punts in the past --- I consider the punt return a success if they just catch it. McDonald doesn't seem to have trouble with that. I think he'll break one at some point but sometimes he gets going backwards a little too much for my taste.

Our kickoff return is a complete joke.

Comment

Never thought I'd long for the "good old days" of Tony Horne.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

QUOTE(Damtoft @ Sep 18 2005, 07:49 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I think when Terry Fair comes back it will be him returning kicks and he will do a credible job.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 18 2005, 07:53 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I think when Terry Fair comes back it will be him returning kicks and he will do a credible job.
              [/b][/quote]

Wasn't he pretty good at that in Detroit?

Comment

Well I wouldn't give them an A.

On a big punt return by the Rams that was called back because of multiple penalties let me quote the TV guy.

"It appears every Ram commited some type of penalty on that punt return"

Or something like that.
                Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(tigernumbe @ Sep 18 2005, 08:08 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Yes...he was. He may have lost a step since then but he looked decent in preseason. He's bound to be better than Johnson who might only be helpful if the Rams decide to field a 4x100 relay team in the next Olympics.
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 18 2005, 08:37 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Yes...he was. He may have lost a step since then but he looked decent in preseason. He's bound to be better than Johnson who might only be helpful if the Rams decide to field a 4x100 relay team in the next Olympics.
                    [/b][/quote]

I'll take Johnson over Arlen Harris. At least he's fast. What does Arlen give us?
                    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Sep 18 2005, 09:05 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(TTB @ Sep 18 2005, 08:37 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'll take Johnson over Arlen Harris. At least he's fast. What does Arlen give us?
                      [/b][/quote]

While i'm a Martz supporter ---

For all of the bonehead things he does, I think making Arlen Harris the kick returner is the most insane of all.

Comment

Importance of special teams?

This team seems to think there is NONE.
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 18 2005, 10:08 PM) Quoted post

Importance of special teams?

This team seems to think there is NONE.
                          [/b][/quote]

One game hardly means much, but they were extremely good today. Did you see game? If I see it next week I might believe it could be turning around.

Comment

I think the Rams ST looked better today mainly because Arizona's ST's suck too.

Dick Vermeil always understood the importance of factors like special teams and turnovers. I don't think Martz really does. I think he looks at football as 50% offense, 40% defense, and 10% special teams. But in reality, ST are much closer to even with the others. Avoiding cheap TDs, getting a few TDs, and most importantly, getting good feel position are huge.

I believe Martz is devoting more time and maybe personnel to ST, but I'm guessing he's not doing enough to convince the players of their importance.

Then again, I could be way off. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                            "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Sep 18 2005, 10:49 PM) Quoted post

I think the Rams ST looked better today mainly because Arizona's ST's suck too.

Dick Vermeil always understood the importance of factors like special teams and turnovers. I don't think Martz really does. I think he looks at football as 50% offense, 40% defense, and 10% special teams. But in reality, ST are much closer to even with the others. Avoiding cheap TDs, getting a few TDs, and most importantly, getting good feel position are huge.

I believe Martz is devoting more time and maybe personnel to ST, but I'm guessing he's not doing enough to convince the players of their importance.

Then again, I could be way off. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                              [/b][/quote]

I think he's beginning to understand. In week 1 he had some talented rookies on special teams. Didn't work. This week he put more regular starters there -- I did work.

I agree that Arizona may not be a good gauge. Their kick returner is probably worse than Arlen Harris.

Comment

Working...
                              X