Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I been personally and specifically dissed by Bud Selig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I been personally and specifically dissed by Bud Selig?

So far as I know, I am the only advocate for this. I have posted about it more than once, and I remember one sleepy Sunday morning where I called a national syndicated show and talked about it.

Jul 19 2005, 03:21 PM Post #1

Joey Thread Killer

Tony Larussa and Bob Costas have mentioned the same possibility. They both feel, as I do, that something needs to be done to make division titles more valuable and winning the wild card to be less of a free pass than it is.

They have both raised the possibility, (Costas over a year ago, and Tony in answer to my question Sunday) that two teams should have to play a 3 game playoff series to decide the wild card.

Many have mentioned the possibility that the wild card should have only one home game in a series.

My proposal is to have a one game playoff between the two non division winners with the best records to decide the wild card on Monday. This would have the advantage of not lengthening the season, but it would cause the wild card team to have to go all out on Monday, probably using its ace pitcher to make sure they get to play the next day.

I would be glad to see more road games for the wild card, or the three game playoff series. I think a one game playoff is more practical.

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 1 hour ago

Say what you want about commissioner Bud Selig, but he knows a good thing when he sees it. Rather than expand the postseason by adding one wild card to each league, Selig prefers to keep the postseason format the way it is, thank you very much.

"That's been put on the backshelf," Selig says of a proposal that would increase the number of postseason teams from eight to 10, forcing the wild-card qualifiers to use their best available pitchers against each other in a one-game playoff.
    "I'm a traditionalist at heart. I'm not anxious to move forward," Selig adds. "That doesn't mean I won't keep looking at it. But the races are so good this way, I'm not sure I want to change anything."

Selig is right — increasing the postseason field would lessen the urgency for contenders and reduce pennant-race excitement. That's the last thing Major League Baseball wants to do as it completes the final, frantic month of an unpredictable regular season.

Selig, however, says MLB will explore ways this off-season to make it more difficult for wild-card teams to advance. One idea would be to give the wild-card team only one home game in a best-of-five series.

Well. Screw you Bud Selig. And screw you and your dumbshit idea to determine homefield advantage for the world series, too. I hope there's a tie for the wild card in both leagues.
    v

Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

"I'm a traditionalist at heart. I'm not anxious to move forward,"[/b][/quote]

so allowing a team that did not win their division win the WS is traditional?

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Anything that allows more teams into the postseason should be avoided at all costs.
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

You are in the majority. I have never heard anyone advocate the one game playoff that I spoke of. I have never heard anyone talk about the effect on pitching rotation.

That is why I was surprised at the article---somebody must have said it.

"One idea would be to give the wild-card team only one home game in a best-of-five series."

Funny he should mention that. Almost everyone who says anything says that.
          v

Comment

I think the Padres should not qualify if they finish under .500...pick another Wild Card if that happens...Its all about the BEST teams in the playoffs,right?..

And I'd listen to Selig more if the fucker would get his teeth fixed.

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 18 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

Anything that allows more teams into the postseason should be avoided at all costs.
              [/b][/quote]

++

Comment

That is pretty much what everyone says.

I don't buy it. Talking about one game, the object of which is not to allow more teams in post-season, but rather to give a genuine advantage to being a division winner. (and I admit, it would not be fair this unusual year, because of NL West teams. It might happen, anyway----I think there could be a real tie for the wild card).
                v

Comment

If you want to give division winners a bigger advantage, you could start by having div. winners face the team with the worst record of the other three, regardless of wild card status or which division they're in.
                  Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Sep 18 2005, 11:02 PM) Quoted post

If you want to give division winners a bigger advantage, you could start by having div. winners face the team with the worst record of the other three, regardless of wild card status or which division they're in.
                    [/b][/quote]

I agree. I looked it up once, after I made my proposal. I posted this on July 26th.

"There have been 20 four team playoffs in mlb in the last ten years involving a wild card team to decide who goes to the World Series. In only 8 of those was the wild card team the team with the 4th best record. (6 of those were from the national league.) Once there was a tie for third best record (Houston and St. Louis). 1999 was the only year in which both wildcards had the leagues' fourth best record, and the Mets were only a half game behind Houston. I don't remember why they played 163 games---the records show they finished 97-66, while Houston finished 97-65.

Almost every year, one of the American League teams has a wild card with a better record than a division winner.

Often, these margins are small, and the division winners are playing their last ten games or so resting key players, more concerned with getting ready for the playoffs than going all out to win the games. However, I have to admit---csd made a point which has made me less concerned about how easy the wild card teams have it in the playoffs."

This year is exceptional----the NL West is unusually bad. They clearly do not deserve any advantage over a wild card team.

It would be hard for me to sell the idea that the teams with the 4th and 5th best records, even if one of them was a division winner should have a one game playoff to decide who is the opponent of the team with the best record.

I know I am whipped on this----but Selig and Rosenthal? I am the proverbial gnat.
                    v

Comment

Working...
                    X