Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Martz stuff

More Martz stuff

The St. Louis Rams, even when they were based in Los Angeles, have been a franchise very comfortable with front-office intrigue, one that usually ends up applying a lot of pressure on its head coach.

Current head coach Mike Martz even benefited from the dissension that led Dick Vermeil to quit after the franchise won its only Super Bowl. Even before Vermeil won, there was talk of elevating Martz and moving on without Vermeil.

In the last week, we have all read about the Rams salary-cap man Samir Suleiman leaving a throat-slashing threat on the voice mail of St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz. Rams president John Shaw placed Suleiman on an indefinite leave of absence from the club for the incident, which he called "a lack of judgment."

The reason Suleiman left the voice message was because he thought he was being blamed for an article concerning the lack of front-office support around Martz. Well, that was definitely not true. Suleiman wasn't responsible, but he ended up being the scapegoat.

But Miklasz and Martz are right about one thing: There is a lot of tension within the Rams' offices, so much so that Martz isn't sure who he can trust. This is why he hired his own special assistant, John Hadley, who handles his personal affairs and interviews. Martz apparently no longer deals directly with Rams media director Duane Lewis.

It is no secret that Martz and GM Charley Armey have been feuding for years.

Last week, prior to the San Francisco game, Martz told Shaw and other club executives that he might be too sick to coach the game. He was thinking about sitting the game out, and staying in bed.

Martz, who has two years remaining on his contract, would like an extension. To get something done, he fired his friend and former agent, Frank Bauer, for Bob Lamont, the league's top agent for head coaches. Still, nothing has been done on his contract. In today's game in Arizona, Martz has made his top three draft choices inactive. This doesn't sit well with the personnel department, but Martz feels he needs veterans on his special teams.

The Rams are unraveling as we speak. And if the season ends up a losing one, Martz definitely won't be receiving an extension. Instead, the club will be looking for a new head coach.

[/b][/quote]
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Other than that, everything is fine.

What a circus.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 18 2005, 11:52 AM) Quoted post

What a circus.
      [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

This is what really caught my eye:

In today's game in Arizona, Martz has made his top three draft choices inactive. This doesn't sit well with the personnel department, but Martz feels he needs veterans on his special teams.[/b][/quote]

Comment

I noticed that, too.

I've given up trying to figure this guy out.
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Martz Madness.
          No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
          President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
          President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

Its sad this is a "professional" organization.
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Sep 18 2005, 10:54 AM) Quoted post

What a circus.
              [/b][/quote]

In today's game in Arizona, Martz has made his top three draft choices inactive. This doesn't sit well with the personnel department, but Martz feels he needs veterans on his special teams.[/b][/quote]
              [/b][/quote]

While I agree that the organization as a whole is screwed up, it seems a bit over the top to only blame Martz for the teams problems. And I don't see the big deal about not dressing the top picks for this weeks game. It's a road game that they MUST win. Barron is still a long way off and the two d-backs are making stupid mistakes that could cost them a game.
              *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

What a circus.
                [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I can't believe he was too sick....with worry, or the flu? Influenza, or "Brown Bottle" Flu? Remember, daddy was an alcoholic....

Anyhow, more importantly, look for the special teams to not only arrive on their own team bus, a short yellow one, but to look like monkeys fucking the football....Another L for Martz! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 18 2005, 12:04 PM) Quoted post

What a circus.
                  [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

While I agree that the organization as a whole is screwed up, it seems a bit over the top to only blame Martz for the teams problems. And I don't see the big deal about not dressing the top picks for this weeks game. It's a road game that they MUST win. Barron is still a long way off and the two d-backs are making stupid mistakes that could cost them a game.
                  [/b][/quote]

I never said that only Martz deserves all the blame. But he certainly deserves his fair share.

And it's pretty sad when a team doesn't dress it's top three picks, no matter what the circumstances. Those are the picks you expect to help the team right away.

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Sep 18 2005, 11:04 AM) Quoted post

What a circus.
                    [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

That Martz is still around is evidence that you are correct, someone is keeping him there. What happened to playing new guys to give them experience? You don't have to play all three at the same time, rotate them through.
                    No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                    President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                    President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Sep 18 2005, 11:07 AM) Quoted post

And it's pretty sad when a team doesn't dress it's top three picks, no matter what the circumstances. Those are the picks you expect to help the team right away.
                      [/b][/quote]

I pretty much agree with this (and I'm hoping it pays dividends for the 'Boys this year)...

In this circumstance, I understand Barron not dressing...but why aren't Bartell and Atogwe ready to at least play special teams?
                      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Tom Jackson wants to take back his pick of the Rams winning the NFC West. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Sep 18 2005, 08:54 AM) Quoted post

What a circus.
                          [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

This one caught mine.
                          Last week, prior to the San Francisco game, Martz told Shaw and other club executives that he might be too sick to coach the game. He was thinking about sitting the game out, and staying in bed.
                          [/b][/quote]

Martz is a fuckin immature crybaby.

How he has any supporters is beyond me.

The players don't like him, the front office don't like him. Great fuckin leader. gutless wonder.
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(CSD @ Sep 18 2005, 11:29 AM) Quoted post

Tom Jackson wants to take back his pick of the Rams winning the NFC West. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                            [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] Did he jump on the goldrush bandwagon driver by Berman?

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Sep 18 2005, 01:04 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(CSD @ Sep 18 2005, 11:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] Did he jump on the goldrush bandwagon driver by Berman?
                              [/b][/quote]

Comment

Working...
                              X