Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NL MVP Question for the Lounge........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL MVP Question for the Lounge........................

I was arguing with a friend tonight about the NL MVP. He said Jones (he is a Braves fan, so his perception is not reality) and I said Pujols. His argument was HRs and RBIs and the fact that Jones is leading in two out of the three (and Pujols neither of the three).

My argument was based around average w/ RISP, Runs, BA, OB%, etc., etc. and how those stats are more "valuable" to a team. Especially when you consider these two facts:

1.) Jones has had more RBI opportunities than Pujols b/c of the guys in front of him and he's only hitting .212 w/ RISP. How many RBIs would Pooh have if he had the same amount of opportunities? I'm betting more than Andruw (call me crazy).
    2.) Pujols does more with fewer opportunities (if you ask anyone who they'd rather have hitting with the game on the line, they'd say Pujols--or they'd be f'n nuts).

And when you combine the fact that Pujols is in the top three in the NL in the three triple crown categories, this is a slam dunk. It is impossible for me to see it any other way. I'd rank the NL MVP candidates as follows:

1.) Pujols
    2.) Lee
    3.) Jones

When you average out the triple crown categories by each player's NL rank, Jones is third b/c his average is so low.

1.) Pujols 2.67 (HR-3rd, RBI-3rd, Ave, 2nd)
    2.) Lee 3.0 (HR-2nd, RBI-6th, Ave-1st)
    3.) Jones 16.3 (HR-1st, RBI-1st, Ave-47th)

In OPS Lee is 1st (1.099), Pujols (1.051) is 2nd, and Jones is 11th (.950--which is damn good, I'm not saying it's not).

Just another way to look at it I guess. The MVP shouldn't be the HR/RBI crown. It should go to the best player. The best player is always the most "valuable" (imo).

I know some don't care about the MVP and that the WS is all we should be talking about, but Pooh deserves it (as does Lee) over Jones.

Slam dunk in my book. And my book is of the utmost importance. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

This is the only award that counts.

The Redman
    The Redman

Sponsorship Available
    Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

QUOTE(stlredman @ Sep 17 2005, 11:16 PM) Quoted post

The Redman
      [/b][/quote]
      [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

No doubt. And the outcome will greatly affect my life. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
      --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
      --Suck it cubbies.
      --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Sep 18 2005, 12:18 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(stlredman @ Sep 17 2005, 11:16 PM) Quoted post

The Redman
        [/b][/quote]
        [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

No doubt. And the outcome will greatly affect my life. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
        [/b][/quote]

Hey F, I don't know if you are intelligent enough to appreciate that, according to Hercules. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
        RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

I have a feeling that the MVP voters who have seen Albert run up these numbers and not win for, what is it, 5 consecutive years now....are going to look at this as the same kind of year that could/should have won it for him in the past except for the presence of Bonds and say....'This guy has done it again and his team has the best record in baseball despite all the injuries. I've GOT to vote for him.'

Comment

QUOTE("F @ Sep 18 2005, 01:06 AM) Quoted post

1.) Pujols
            2.) Lee
            3.) Jones

[/b][/quote]

That's the way I see it shaking out.

Luckily for Albert, many of the people who actually vote have a clue.

If people like Linda Cohn or Madyaks had a vote, well, there might be trouble.
            But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

It will go to the person ESPN decides should get it, and right now that is Jones [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Value
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Don't be silly...Barry Bonds is the MVP until he decides he doesn't want it anymore. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
                  Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
                  Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Sep 18 2005, 10:46 AM) Quoted post

Don't be silly...Barry Bonds is the MVP until he decides he doesn't want it anymore. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
                    [/b][/quote]

no, that would be the best player in the league.

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 18 2005, 10:48 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                      But Yaks...shouldn't the best player in the league win the MVP? Especially when the rest of his team sucks donkey balls? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
                      Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
                      Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Sep 18 2005, 11:02 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 18 2005, 10:48 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                        But Yaks...shouldn't the best player in the league win the MVP? Especially when the rest of his team sucks donkey balls? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                        [/b][/quote]

No, I think that player should win some best player in the league award. They have tried to make it the Hank Aaron award, but it isn't catching on.
                        "I think" the MVP should go to the player on a playoff team that without that player wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. The player that carried his team, the guy who stepped up and went above the call to get his team to the playoffs.
                        Again to ME "value" in baseball is going to the playoffs. That is what the regular season is all about, winning your division and getting to the next round.
                        The best player may have been of very little "value" in that regard.
                        I think if you didn't get your team to the next round, or at least lose it in the last week you shouldn't win MVP unless you do something silly like win the triple crown. ( I wouldn't vote for the triple crown winner unless they went to the playoffs, but I understand that vote)
                        I think in years like with Dawson, the voters voted for a popular player, and for a player who had numbers FAR better than the candidates on playoff teams. (again I wouldn't have made that vote, but it is also one I understand)

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 18 2005, 11:22 AM) Quoted post

"I think" the MVP should go to the player on a playoff team that without that player wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. The player that carried his team, the guy who stepped up and went above the call to get his team to the playoffs.
                          [/b][/quote]

Yep, that's it exactly. That would make Pujols the undisputed MVP of the NL. Without his talent and leadership, the Cardinals would not be going to the playoffs this year.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                          Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                          Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                          NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                          LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

It's MVP of the league, not Team. Best player could easily transfer into MVP of MLB.

The supposed distinction is bogus.
                            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Sep 18 2005, 11:42 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(madyaks @ Sep 18 2005, 11:22 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Yep, that's it exactly. That would make Pujols the undisputed MVP of the NL. Without his talent and leadership, the Cardinals would not be going to the playoffs this year.
                              [/b][/quote]

Thats why i don't understand why players are voted MVP even though they were on losing teams. They obviously weren't valueable enough to get their team into postseason.

Comment

Working...
                              X