Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busch to get wrecking ball, not dynamite.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busch to get wrecking ball, not dynamite.

No bang for your buck after all
    By Jake Wagman
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Friday, Sep. 16 2005

ST. LOUIS Busch Stadium will die a slow death after all.

The Cardinals announced on Friday that instead of using explosives to bring
    down the ballpark, they will do it the old-fashioned way - with a wrecking
    ball.

For months, the team had proposed an implosion, submitting a plan that required
    more than 2,000 sticks of explosives and hundreds of blasting caps. The
    Cardinals sponsored a charity raffle to select the person who would trigger the
    blast.

Cardinals President Mark Lamping now says that because of rapid progress in
    building the new stadium, the Cardinals will opt for a slower and safer method.

"Both methods are safe, but common sense suggests that swinging a wrecking ball
    is preferable to an explosion in a central business district," Lamping said in
    a statement.

A wrecking ball would also be less taxing on the public. Explosives would have
    required an intense presence of police and fire officials, as well as shutting
    down Highway 40 (Interstate 64).

An implosion would have brought Busch to the ground in 35 seconds. The wrecking
    ball demolition will take 90 days.

Destruction will begin sometime between late October and mid-November,
    depending on how far the Cardinals make it in the postseason. The team has
    already clinched at least one playoff series.

Key parts of the new park, such as the outfield, lie within the footprint of
    the current stadium. Originally, the Cardinals thought they would have to clear
    the land quickly to have the new park, which will also be called Busch Stadium,
    open by April 2006.

But favorable building conditions - a mild winter and a dry summer - put the
    project ahead of schedule. Construction will continue around the existing
    ballpark as it is incrementally destroyed.

The switch to a wrecking ball does remove some of the gusto from the team's
    "Push the Button" promotion, in which the winner would trigger a blast to bring
    down Busch. The charity raffle will continue at $10 a ticket, but the winner
    will instead be the first to cast the wrecking ball.

Fans who want a raffle ticket refund will be given one, Lamping says, with the
    team donating a matching amount so that the charities involved, United Way and
    Cardinals Care, don't lose out.

Implosion has been the preferred method of destroying sports stadiums. It's how
    parks in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Atlanta met their demise. Even so, the
    Cardinals were conscious of Busch's proximity to major downtown buildings.

Jim Cloar, president of the Downtown St. Louis Partnership, said he had not
    heard any concerns about the safety of the blast. Just the opposite.

"Most of what I heard from businesses was that they hoped they could be open
    and have parties the day of the demolition," he said.
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

They're really banking on a mild winter. For their sakes, I hope they're right.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Sep 17 2005, 07:50 AM) Quoted post

They're really banking on a mild winter. For their sakes, I hope they're right.
      [/b][/quote]

No kev. We had a mild winter last year. Not much rain since, so they are a head of schedule. Right now they are just doing trim work waiting for the old joint to come down.

Comment

If we get one of those unusualy snowy and cold winters, it would make the job of clearing the current stadium's debris quite taxing.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Sep 17 2005, 07:58 AM) Quoted post

If we get one of those unusualy snowy and cold winters, it would make the job of clearing the current stadium's debris quite taxing.
          [/b][/quote]

Kev - the people in charge of the project are experts in project management and get paid to weigh factors such as weather and other potentials risks. They have a plan that goes down to a level that will tell if they even get a single day behind schedule and will have the ability to get it back on schedule by working overtime or late or two crews on nice days....ie...it will get done.

I'm quite confident it will be fine for April 2006 or they would not opt for this less risky and more time consuming approach to bring down the existing stadium.
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I typically hate the west side of an office building because of the heat gain in the afternoon, but the west side of ours has a perfect view of Busch. I may temporarly re-locate. That sounds like 90 days of pretty decent entertainment. JJ.

Comment

I sincerely hope everything goes smooth. I mean TR Hughes would be quite an adventure. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I still think they should blow it up.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

I wish I could hit Bush with a wrecking ball.......... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
                  Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                  X