• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local media news"

Slaten finds controversy again
    By Dan Caesar
    Post-Dispatch
    09/16/2005

Kevin Slaten, the king of controversy on local sports-talk radio, finds himself embroiled in two this week - one internally and one outside the station.

Slaten will have a new partner and a slightly altered time slot at KFNS (590 AM, 100.7 FM) beginning Monday. That's the day he plans to go to a news conference and ask tough questions to Rams coach Mike Martz, whom Slaten said is being "poisoned" in his opinion of him by Martz' new advisor and competing radio talk-show host John Hadley.

Claiborne's situation

Mike Claiborne, who had been working with Slaten since the current lineup was formed 14 months ago, is being shifted to an earlier slot and will be paired with Jay Randolph Jr. Bob Ramsey, who had been working with Randolph, moves to Slaten's show.

Claiborne's contract expired recently, and sources say Slaten was lobbying for Bernie Miklasz to replace Claiborne on the show. Miklasz, who in essence was a free agent after his contract with KMOX (1120 AM) expired Aug. 31, negotiated with KFNS, but he ended up agreeing to go to KSLG (1380 AM).

After negotiations with KFNS, Claiborne agreed to stay, at about a 20 percent pay cut. But he'll be working in the early afternoon instead of with Slaten.

"I'm not mad at anybody because I understand this is how our business works," Claiborne said. "But I wish there would have been better communication with regard to what his issues are. As I look at it now, it's probably best that we both move on."

Claiborne said he didn't talk to Slaten from Aug. 25 - the last day they worked together - until Thursday.

"You'd think you would have heard from him once in a while, but we obviously disagree on how one would support each other considering how long we worked together," Claiborne said. "That was disappointing."

Slaten, in turn, insisted that he didn't posture with management about whom he would work with. He said he put in a word for Claiborne with management.

"I went in and gave him support, 'whatever you guys work out, you guys work out,' but I'm not getting involved," Slaten said. "We didn't have a falling out. But on the other side of the coin, I wasn't going to get involved because that's nothing but disaster" to get into others' business. "I put in my two cents of support and let it go."

Claiborne said he holds no grudge.

"The bottom line is that this is all business; it's not personal," he said."In the whole time we were on the air, we may have raised our voices because we were passionate about an issue, but it never carried on to a break or off the air."

Beginning Monday, Claiborne will be on from noon-3 p.m. with Randolph. Slaten's show with Ramsey will move back an hour, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

KFNS program director Rob Weingarten said the move was made to balance the shows, saying the early program was "too light and breezy" and the latter one "not breezy enough."

Claiborne will bring more of a straight sports approach to the noon show, and Ramsey will add more pop culture references to the latter program.

"We just rearranged the batting order," Weingarten said.

The Hadley factor

Slaten has been blasting the Rams all week because they prohibited KFNS from airing Martz's news conference live Monday. The station has carried the event weekly in recent seasons. He has been referring to Rams Park as "the Kremlin" and to Hadley, who oversees some of Martz's dealings with members of the media, as "Heinrich Hadley," derogatory terms referring to oppressive governments.

Slaten said the station was not informed until shortly before air time that the news conference would be blacked out because the team wanted instead to carry it on its Web site. But he said he is convinced there is a different reason: that Hadley has a grudge against him and does not want Martz appearing Slaten's show.

"It was clear to me it was Hadley, with a personal agenda with me, which he's always had for whatever reason," Slaten said.

Weingarten added, "If we take it personally, well, it sure seems like it was aimed at us because we're the only ones who have been carrying it live."

Slaten added, "I thought I had a decent relationship with Mike Martz until recently. I think that's all been poisoned by Hadley, once he got in there, he's determining who's going to talk to Martz and who's not, and obviously, I've always been the odd man out (with Hadley) - which I don't care about, but for him to poison Martz in regards to me is amazing."

Sources at Rams Park said the request to black out the live feed also was made by some members of the media who cover the team on a daily basis and ask the majority of the questions in the session. They were unhappy that KFNS basically was airing their interview with "about 1 percent" of the questions being posed by KFNS reporters.

"If that's the case, that's the biggest crock I've ever heard," Slaten said, citing the fact that Bryan Burwell and Martin Kilcoyne, who have primary jobs elsewhere but moonlight at KFNS, often attend. "But why would that matter anyway?" because it's a public setting.

Hadley, who doubles as a sports-talk show host on KTRS (550 AM), declined to comment. But he said on his Web site that Slaten will "twist and turn every word in an attempt to avoid talking sports and kill time. ... Simply stated, same old Slaten, with the same old act."

Hadley also wrote, "His act always flames out and will again."

Slaten has vowed to attend the session this Monday and ask his own questions to Martz.

"I'll be ready to go," he said. "I'm assuming he'll hear my questions. Whether he'll answer them or not, that's up to him."

A new Twist

Former Blues defenseman Tony Twist is expected to return soon to KSLG (1380 AM) on the afternoon show. It remains to be seen what roles Malcolm Briggs and Howard Balzer, who now anchor the show, will have. But it sure wouldn't make sense to reduce Balzer's role at this time of year. He's the best local NFL broadcast reporter in town.

Sources at Rams Park said the request to black out the live feed also was made by some members of the media who cover the team on a daily basis and ask the majority of the questions in the session. They were unhappy that KFNS basically was airing their interview with "about 1 percent" of the questions being posed by KFNS reporters.

What the hell does that MEAN? The other media were tired of having their questions put on the air by another media source? I don't know of a single person in the media who doesn't want their face on TV, voice on the radio, or name in print. Plus, there's a total of maybe ten people who cover the Rams on a full-time basis, and three of them are 590 employees. "About 1 percent" my ass. Burwell, Cusumano, Kilcoyne, and Hayes may work other places, but they're still 590 employees, so I would have to think that "1 percent" is a little low. Plus, when you throw myself, Pelusi, Chops, and John Marecek in there, I think 590 has a pretty good presence in the locker room. Considering a pretty good number of those people draw a paycheck from KFNS, I highly doubt there were members of the media asking KFNS's live broadcast be cancelled.

This is exactly why you can't believe most of what Caesar has to say...what a crock of shit...As usual, he has about 20 percent right and the rest is pure speculation. I've been fielding calls all week because of the crap this hack has been writing.
    The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

It seems like you all have about 5 or 6 sports radio stations up there.

Sooner or later something will have to give.
      But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Thanks Skippy. How close did we come to getting Slaten and Miklasz on a show together? Personally, I'm glad it didn't happen. I like Kevin, but I think he should be on by himself. For my part, you guys should dump the morning trash, then you could have put Bernie on in the morning.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Just more evidence on how much a joke STL media really is.

No offense to you, Skippy.
          RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
          You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(skippy05 @ Sep 17 2005, 06:53 AM) Quoted post

What the hell does that MEAN? The other media were tired of having their questions put on the air by another media source? I don't know of a single person in the media who doesn't want their face on TV, voice on the radio, or name in print. Plus, there's a total of maybe ten people who cover the Rams on a full-time basis, and three of them are 590 employees. "About 1 percent" my ass. Burwell, Cusumano, Kilcoyne, and Hayes may work other places, but they're still 590 employees, so I would have to think that "1 percent" is a little low. Plus, when you throw myself, Pelusi, Chops, and John Marecek in there, I think 590 has a pretty good presence in the locker room. Considering a pretty good number of those people draw a paycheck from KFNS, I highly doubt there were members of the media asking KFNS's live broadcast be cancelled.

This is exactly why you can't believe most of what Caesar has to say...what a crock of shit...As usual, he has about 20 percent right and the rest is pure speculation. I've been fielding calls all week because of the crap this hack has been writing.
            [/b][/quote]

Go get 'em skippy!!!

I believe Herr Hadley is looking beyond the fact that those people draw dough from the Mighty 590. What costume are they wearing when they are at those conferences?? Are they the mild mannered reporter w/ the TV station or the POS Post? Or are they reporting for the radio station?? Thats where John is drawing the line. Bullshit and weak, but thats all he has to play with.

Until someone grows a sac o' nuts down at Rams Park, this will be the norm. Inmates, asylum...you know the drill. I expect more madness. God forbid if THE CHOSEN ONE lights us up for 35 this Sunday. To tell the truth, I'm kinda hoping for it just to see what the hell would happen. Plus that might push Mad Mike closer to the door.

Comment

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Sep 17 2005, 06:57 AM) Quoted post

It seems like you all have about 5 or 6 sports radio stations up there.

Sooner or later something will have to give.
              [/b][/quote]

Remember when KASP (1380) made its appearance back about 90 or 91? Back then, it was fresh and different. It offered sports fans more of a platform to vent their feelings. Now that idea has gone the way of MTV.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 17 2005, 07:04 AM) Quoted post

Just more evidence on how much a joke STL media really is.

No offense to you, Skippy.
                [/b][/quote]

Doesn't bother me...I just write about cars going in circles...Let everyone else tear each others' throats out...
                The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

This sounds pretty damn petty...

All of the sports stations down here interrupt their regular programming evey day for the Parcells press conference during football season...

And it's very easy to be listening to one station and recognize someone from a competing station asking a question...

Although...there are really only two sports radio stations down here now...one FM (ESPNRadio) and one AM (KTCK The Ticket)...so maybe the competition is less stiff because the market down here is plenty big enough for two stations to get their fair share of listeners...

I just don't get the "secrecy"...
                  " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Former Blues defenseman Tony Twist? Who's that?

Comment

Well, now I'll never turn 590 on during the drive home. I already disliked Slaten, but at least he can be midly entertainging. Now that you add Bob "arrogant, but generally clueless" Ramsey it'll be horrible.

Comment

I don't like Ramsey and Slaten as much as I like Claib's and Slayton - but that's just me.

None of this is earth shattering.

I do however think Hadley's letter to Slaten was probably worse than the phone call to Bernie.

I am insulted that he picks two African Americans and says they will be his thugs. My guess is they don't care for him either.
                        The fact that he even mentioned Little's name with violence shows the total depts of his insensitivity. Hadley making a Christmas check at the Rams should be illegal.

I like the morning show by the way - its way better than the national shows including mike and mike and - cowherd.

Tim and crew - keep doing your thing.

Slaten I think will either run off Ramsey or just get bored and do something else. Slaten is very good but usually bugs out after a while.
                        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(skippy05 @ Sep 17 2005, 07:53 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Not sure why you're angry at Caesar. If a Rams Park source told him that,
                          he's just passing it along. It seems clear to me the heart of the problem
                          exists with person (or persons) within the Rams organization. I think we
                          know who that is..........

Comment

What are the ratings for the sports shows in St. Louis? Is that available online?

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Sep 17 2005, 10:47 AM) Quoted post

What are the ratings for the sports shows in St. Louis? Is that available online?
                              [/b][/quote]

Not sure about shows...

Here are the most recent ratings by station.
                              " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
                              X