Twenty Years at Hull House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twenty Years at Hull House

Does anyone else find this book to be EXTREMELY poorly written and structured? There is a paragraph in there that goes on for four pages, and has no names, but refers to about 7 different people by pronouns alone.

Jane Addams, did great things, but this book blows.

Also, I started banging my head against the wall after reading about 170 pages of it on little sleep and full day of work. So maybe I am just tired, but I am frustrated. (I am bashing a Classic, so odds are I am wrong)
    Billikens.com

I've recently had a similar experience with The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. The writing isn't poor but the book beats around the bush too much. I get the general metaphor, but the details were simply lost on me.

Things are going much better with American Psycho.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Stop reading it, Sluey.

I'd think a guy from that school would know a good remedy.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Sep 17 2005, 10:47 AM) Quoted post

Stop reading it, Sluey.

I'd think a guy from that school would know a good remedy.
        [/b][/quote]

Buying Candy Bars in East St. Lou?
        Billikens.com

Comment

Yeah. That'll get your arena built.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
          X